Today I shall be Mainly...

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by Stanley »

Until I logged in on the site this morning my day was clear, An hour in the shed, 2 hours second sleep, Covid booster at Well and some shopping. No Covid booster now, it has been cancelled again so I shall stop bothering. It is evidently not a high priority if a town with 11,000 inhabitants has no service.
So, I shall concentrate on the things I can rely on like shed and shopping!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We haven't even been offered a Covid booster. I just checked and its over 75 years only, but Col should have been offered one.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wendyf wrote: 15 May 2024, 05:45 We haven't even been offered a Covid booster. I just checked and its over 75 years only, but Col should have been offered one.
Morning

Bob had his booster some time before we went to France, it was because he is over 75 and nothing to do with his state of health.

We didn’t walk into Rochdale yesterday, as the rain was far too heavy though the afternoon turned out to be quite pleasant. Bob went down by car whilst I did some sewing. Later I did pilates and yoga at home rather than go to the studio. The traffic has been horrendous recently resulting in a 40 minute drive to get to somewhere only 1.5 miles away!

This morning Bob and I are both at the hairdressers for a cut, this afternoon I have sewing with Maxine and Bob has an engineer friend calling round. Tea time is zoom pilates and thats the day gone. I have to prepare my art things, a drawing to do, ready for my watercolour art class in the morning

Have a good day all
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have given up on my booster Sue. Not sure if it's four or five appointments that have failed. I know when they aren't interested!.

If you think this looks a bit chaotic you're right!The first part of this morning's work, drilling the bottom lid for the securing bolts went well and I soon had it laced up and ready for the next stage which was to make the tiny bronze bearing for the end of the piston rod. This connects to the crank pin. I made one bearing and fitted it and that's where I started struggling. To cut a long story short I eventually dismantled the cylinder, piston and rod and did some checking. I soon found out what the problem is, the piston rod is about 3/8" short! How the hell I managed that I don't know. Question is, is the other the wrong length as well? I shall find out tomorrow when I have made and fitted a new rod for this first engine. A proper engineering morning, things don't always go according to plan. I shall have my breakfast and come back to the problem refreshed tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I went out to post a letter and get a big bottle of bleach from the C-op. I got carried away and have done most of my veggie shopping as well as my milk and cheese. Very pleased with the Co-op's prices which is a change!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed trying to get my wobblers right! But first I shall put my chicken in the oven to roast. It's that time of the week again! Later this morning I think a walk could be on the cards and a spell on traffic duty.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

I am still waking an hour early, a week after returning home from France. Nothing wakes Bob, he is out for the count and will be for another 30 minutes. Yesterday was productive , Maxine and I made a pattern from one of Janes dresses so that I can make her more of the same. It is an interesting venture, I have a few bits to finish off then will make a mock up in an old sheet to check that it fits.

Today its art at Haslingden this morning then we have a quick turnaround to get to Tod for the monthly u3a meeting and talk. I shall probably finish the pattern drafting when I get back.

Rain forecast late afternoon. Have a good day all
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue! Nowt wrong with getting up early as long as you don't disturb Bob's beauty sleep! I hope the day goes well. (Is your throat fully recovered now?)

A better morning today! Chicken in the oven roasting and new piston rods made and fitted, both engines are complete. All they need now is a base for each of them. They aren't runners, or at least I haven't tried them to see if they run. They are meant to be toys for two very young people, Evie and Alex who because of kids moving round the world for various reasons, will both have their engines within the next couple of months. Not the best I have ever done but it gets very hard to do these very small projects, it's bad enough with the Number 9s! Now for breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Packing suitcases, off to Southampton tomorrow ready to board on Saturday :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Big Kev wrote: 16 May 2024, 11:05 Packing suitcases, off to Southampton tomorrow ready to board on Saturday :good:

Are you off to the Baltic Kev? :good:
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PostmanPete wrote: 16 May 2024, 12:21
Big Kev wrote: 16 May 2024, 11:05 Packing suitcases, off to Southampton tomorrow ready to board on Saturday :good:

Are you off to the Baltic Kev? :good:
I am indeed 👍
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nothing as adventurous as that for me..... I shall be in the shed making and fitting the bases of the two wobbler engines I have just made for the great grandchildren in Australia. Then later this morning I shall be cooking next week's veggies. Later still, Carl Brown will deliver my meat. It's all go!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was late into the shed this morning because of a small computer fault. When I got in I started by harvesting the non-ferocious off the lathe and then got into making the steel plinths on which the wobblers will be mounted. I got one finished before knocking off and will make the other tomorrow. Now for breakfast and second sleep.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

Woke at 2, back to sleep at about 5.30 , it was 7.30 when I woke again. The birds were very noisy about 4.20 .

This morning we need to post a parcel, take Kath’s very large geranium back to her house as it has spent the winter in our conservatory,
IMG_1731.jpeg
pop over to Maxine's for an old sheet to use for a mock up of the dress I am going to make for Jane, then lunch at the lake. It will be an early lunch as Bob has a follow up MRI scan at Christies at 4.45 pm.

It promises to be warm, cloudy and mainly dry. Have a good day all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue. Good luck with the scan for Bob and I hope the rest of the day goes well for you. I am back up after my second sleep and just about to get into industrial scale veggie cooking. How does one old bloke manage to eat so much?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Veggie cooking is finished! Always a good feeling when it's done. Hob is clean and all tackle put away. Now I can relax for a while.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall be in the shed at 06:00 quietly working my way towards two plinths for the wobblers to sit on.
After that there is nothing on my social calendar apart from some quiet cooking of a batch of savoury mince to go with this weeks veggies.
The weather forecast is good so a walk and a spell on traffic duty look to be on the cards.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

There I was quietly reading my book, and had been since 5.15 am when Bob’s bedside alarm went off at 6.30 am. Eventually he woke and after a VERY awakening 5 minutes the alarm was still ringing. Be both tried to stop it to no avail so I pulled the plug on the clock which is electric. The alarm still rang. At that point Bob realised it was not that clock but his travel clock and it must have accidentally got switched on yesterday. 6.30 being the time we got up in St Malo last week. Its now 6.50 am , we are wide awake and drinking tea…..

This morning is Bacup market, followed by a trip to THE PLANT DUDE to get some compost so I can pot on my squash plants. Then its home for a coffee before a trip to M& S to return an item and buy a replacement . I think we may walk in. This afternoon I want to finish the pattern for my sister’s dress.

Thats my day. Enjoy yours.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can see your faces when the alarm persisted despite pulling the plug! :biggrin2:
(The video would sell.....)

Only one image needed this morning. I have spent an hour getting both plinths ready for fitting. All tackle put away and Mrs Harrison cleaned up. Now for breakfast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We have our Covid jabs today, we should have had them a week or two ago but changed them until we came back off holiday in case we had any reaction.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mine will hopefully be tomorrow Gloria in the Co-op car park. (Thanks to Kev!) :biggrin2:
Today I shall be in the shed at 06:00 fitting the plinths on Evie and Alex's wobbler engines. I'm not sorry to see the back of them! The Number 9 Engine will look enormous by comparison......
We are promised a sunny day so a short walk and a sit later......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Spot the difference! That's right, the engines are mounted on their base plates and yes, it took almost an hour. If you think that's slow, try doing it yourself! The engines are sat on the kitchen table with the crankshafts. I'm glad they are done, far too small for my old eyes. Now for breakfast!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Morning

What a beautiful morning and the forecast is for the same all day. I think Bob is going to be busy at the park and I shall be busy in the garden. Following our trip to the Plant Dude I have a couple of plants to put in , squashes to pot on and there is a little weeding and dead heading to do. I also have a little ( very little) ironing and the toile of Janes dress to finish. We want to pop that over to Liverpool this week for her to try on. I have ordered the fabric for the actual dress.

Have a good day all, enjoy thew weather ( there is still a fair bit of rain over at our place in France. The last few days have been much nicer here)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Sue, it's a good forecast here in Barlick as well. We had full sun at dawn and it's the same now. I shall go for my sleep. Good luck with the gardening and yes, it looks as though Bob will have a good day. :biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today I change gear in the shed and shift back into the relatively large Number 9 engine after those dratted wobblers. I'm glad I made them and Evie and Alex will be be pleased to get them. (Well Evie's parents Holly and Tim will anyway!)
Then, after second sleep there is a pop-up vaccination clinic in the Co-op car park and my meds should be ready at Well. If I get both of those tasks done that will make it a good day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”