THE FLATLEY DRYER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: THE FLATLEY DRYER

Post by Stanley »

One of the most significant changes in dress during my life (apart from the disturbing way skirt lengths have varied over the years!) is in footwear. Everybody wore leather shoes, boots or clogs. There were more cobbler's shops than you could poke a stick at! If anyone had told me that now we would be mainly wearing variations of what we then called 'Gym Pumps' made then of canvas and rubber and always either blue or white for tennis, I would not have believed it.
I'm a dinosaur, I still wear leather boots. The Trickers I am using at the moment cost £14 a pair 40 years ago and would leave very little change out of £150 today. The cost of soling and heeling now is just under £30 in Barlick..... They are still as new and my feet are fine thank you!

In case you're wondering, they have not been polished, just polish applied but no buffing. If I polish them they are like conkers!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

£390.00 actually Stanley if you buy them today.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Is that right Ian!? If so I am a wealthy man, I have two pairs! (And then there are the shoes.....) I bought them when I got my Bancroft redundancy money in 1978. A man asked me why I was buying expensive boots when I was unemployed and I told him that if I had to walk to the labour exchange in wet weather I would at least have dry feet! Never regretted buying them.
By the way, I mentioned that they had shrunk slightly while sat in my wardrobe. They have eased nicely with wearing and I shall get the other pair out and do the same. There's something quite splendid about a good pair of boots.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Looked on their website Stanley, so £30 for soling is a bargain. :wink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got the other pair out yesterday and wore them for the day. That pair has had more use than the other and was not tight at all. I shall polish them both today and continue with the original pair which is the one I will use at Keele.

The price of a small secondhand car...... £14 a pair in 1978.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I gave them both a good coat of polish yesterday and have buffed the right hand pair up and put them back in the wardrobe. Shining like a ripe conker!
Stop press.... I commented on Forgotten Corners how memory could fail. I have just taken the boots up and when I opened the wardrobe door realised I had a third pair of Trickers! My net worth has just gone up another £400! I think I have enough boots to last me out. Must have a look through the shoes.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Shades of Imelda...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I suppose so but my footwear is much more practical than hers. I'm a bugger for hats as well...... I look after them as well, all three pairs are freshly soled and heeled. I remember that I took a bunch of boots and shoes in for soling and heeling a couple of years ago and Brian Birro said I was customer of the year! I've never begrudged the price of a good cobbler's work.....
I watched a programme on John Lobb last night. I have a pair of his shoes and they are wonderful. No, I didn't pay £4,000 for them, when Roger Perry's dad died he had just taken delivery of a new pair of brown brogues but never wore them. They didn't fit Roger but he knew I liked good boots so he gave them to me and they were a perfect fit.

I've worn them a lot but they are still good shoes. I shall wear them today and then give them a good polish before putting them away.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Alas, my current favourite pair of sandals suffered a broken strap yesterday... am having to wear pair number two.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I watched the John Lobb programme too, I found it fascinating. I get most of my shoes from Samuel Windsor over in Skelmersdale, hand made and all leather. They have started doing some styles with rubber soles but I wasn't so keen on them. My 'Oxfords' are probably 10 years old and have been into Birro's a few times, my Birkenstocks have just been soled and heeled ready for the summer. I was after a pair of Loakes but they don't make them big enough.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I always have rubber soles and heels these days and steel tips on the heels. I have some Loakes black shoes, Regent brown brogues and a pair of Birkenstocks I bought in San Francisco. nothing like looking after your feet, if they are wrong so is everything else!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

The name Lobb reminds me of my first reading book at primary school. The main character was 'Old Lobb'. I remember reading - Old Lobb has gone to Updown. Even at five I thought it sounded ridiculous. :smile:
Last edited by Tripps on 25 Jun 2016, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have an idea that at one time Lobb's had one of their boots immersed in water in the shop window to demonstrate how waterproof they were.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Surely they would have floated if they were waterproof! :wink:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I never saw it Tiz, depends on the depth I suppose or any weight in the boot....
During the war, mother used to take us all on the tram up to Hazel Grove on the South end of Stockport and we walked up to Middlewood where we collected anything edible from the wood. I season we got blackberries and rose-hips. They were valuable additions to the rations! I've seen us come home with full buckets!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It struck me this morning that worst case says that gathering hedgerow fruit may experience a resurgence! Nothing is certain but all the signs point towards dearer food which is a form of rationing. Only thing is that instead of the wonderful leadership of Lord Woolton and Jack Drummond we have 'advice' from the food industry. Like cook less and eat more takeaways.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

One regular delight of my childhood, even during the war years, was our regular Saturday morning visit to Stockport Market. It was on its original site below the parish church and there was a large covered market, a separate Farmer's Market and outside stalls. It was a fascinating place and I particularly remember the stalls where they demonstrated new cleansers and small machines used as an aid to darning socks!
I've had a look and the market is still going strong. Opening times: Covered Market Hall and Produce Hall, Tuesday - 9am to 4pm. Thursday - 9:30am to 3pm.
Friday and Saturday - 9am to 4:30pm. Open Market, Tuesday and Friday - 8:30am to 4pm. Saturday - 8:30am to 4:30pm.
I have a hankering to go and see it....... Must have a word with Susan!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Take the bus, now the X43 (?) Goes Fast Barnoldswick->Colne->Burnley->AssortedVillages/Motorway->Manchester for Picadilly , then First Manchester X92/192 Bus about 33mins to Stockport (or Train From Piccadilly is 7to 12 Mins and reasonable price I guess ).
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I find it's easier to have a word with my daughter, she enjoys a day out as well.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only a small thing but I wonder what lads have in their pockets these days. We always had a knife, a piece of string and perhaps some glass marbles or some other treasure. We were always 'swapping', exchanging one of our treasures for someone else's that attracted our attention. No smart phones to distract us from these age old activities. I wonder how common this is now?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Smartphone!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Unfortunately that's the answer Tiz. I don't see how this has improved their lives, in fact I'm sure it has degraded it because they are open to manipulation.
I've mentioned this before and nobody bit but what annoys me at the moment is the MoneySupermarket advert. Two very strange men doing very strange things. What is the message that they are trying to convey here? It has me completely baffled. I can understand the 'Just Eat' campaign and hate it but what does it do the young people? Do they gradually accept the message that takeaway is good, cooking is bad? I see this syndrome as a corrupting influence, we were better off with our knives, marbles and pieces of string!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I also really hate the Moneysupermarket advert. It makes no sense to me at all, which probably makes my departure from popular culture almost complete. To make matters worse they now have an audio only version for commercial radio. I listen to LBC (selectively), on Dab quite a lot now.

Pocket contents - don't forget your carefully crafted hopscotch stone. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The bloke? in the hot pants has a CGI'd backside.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote:The bloke? in the hot pants has a CGI'd backside.
No CGI involved according to the director.The guy who plays Dave in the ad says it's a "prosthetic jiggly piece" .
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Nostalgia”