READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY?

Post by Whyperion »

' Cheap ' books , probably a review copy.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've reached August 1936 now and the terrible story of the way the rebels terrorised their 'enemies' by murder, rape and pillage. I didn't know that Himmler visited Spain and invited some of the extreme right to visit Dachau to see how they were dealing with their 'deviants'. In Spain these included nudists and people who learned Esperanto. They learned the lessons well and started their own extermination camps. Terrible story but fascinating because it reveals so much I didn't know.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
amandasessions

Post by amandasessions »

I have just read an incredible political thriller ebook. I was browsing around at amazon.com and found this ebook called The Cain Sanction, I read the preview and a few chapters. It really was a page turner can’t put it down kind of book.
I didn’t know how it ends until the last sentence of the last page.. great read!!
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

With the 30th Anniversary upon us I will recommend probably the most authoritative account on the subject:

9 Battles to Stanley by Nicholas van der Bijl

and if you like conspiracies "Not Mentioned in Despatches" which is an investigation into a supposed cover up of Colonel H's death under friendly fire because his men hated him (a Sandhurst PhD abstract)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have to admit that the constant narrative of atrocities and reprisals after the coup of 1936 is getting a bit wearing but it's essential knowledge from impeccable sources. One interesting snippet. I have always understood the term 'Fifth Column' but never enquired into the origin of it. When Franco launched the attack on Madrid he sent four columns out northwards from Seville and in a speech by General Mola (commander of the rebel armies) he referred to a 'fifth column' which was the rebel supporters embedded in the Republican controlled territories who could be expected to aid the rebel assault from inside the towns under attack.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Finished Preston. Brilliant research and essential reading if you want to understand Franco's motives and the incredible ferocity of his attack on the Republicans. These matters are still festering in Spain to this day and explain many of the strange attitudes that can be found there. The nice thing is that it has been local historians who have gathered the evidence and allowed a more complete picture to emerge. Franco was in there before the Nazis and explains all the help he got from them. When the Germans occupied France Franco gave them the names of Republicans who had fled there to escape the repression. The Gestapo hunted them out and either extradited them back to Spain or exterminated them at Mauthausen. Well worth the depression engendered by reading it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light entertainment at the moment, dividing my time between a bit of Shed work, reading the history of the Sentinel Works at Polmadie and keeping cool.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Comrade, Beevor has a new book out next week on the Second World War. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Oh God! Not another expense! (Must stop buying books....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

amandasessions wrote:I have just read an incredible political thriller ebook. I was browsing around at amazon.com and found this ebook called The Cain Sanction, I read the preview and a few chapters. It really was a page turner can’t put it down kind of book. I didn’t know how it ends until the last sentence of the last page.. great read!!
Ms Sessions seems to be promoting this book - she has posted similar endorsements like confetti and I suspect she has a vested interest in its success.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

She is around a little bit like a rash isn't she. On the ipad forum she gives her location as United States. All of the reviews are first posts on the various sites. She? is probably being paid for the posts. Will keep an eye open for further posts and take appropriate action. Thanks for the heads up Tiz.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's a rather obvious attempt at mimicking viral marketing, hoping people will pick up the information and send it on, as the Twitterati love to do. I've seen it before, being used to push books. We're going to have to teach children to look out for this sort of thing increasingly in the future. It's not a good time to be gullible, it's a jungle out there!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You can say that again! Remember when I spent a fortune on the book about the Compotus of Bolton Abbey and found it was written in Latin? Not quite the same thing I know but I shall be more careful in future!
Latest read was to go back to the History of the Sentinel works and their various products. Amazing how you always find something new.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've been reading G K Chesterton's Father Brown Stories again but you get to a point where you've had enough of him banging on about religious and philosophical matters. He was a late convert to Roman Catholicism and like an ex-smoker believes he has the only truth.
With impeccable timing Martha has sent me Nial Ferguson's 2011 book, 'Civilization. The West and the Rest'. The first thing that struck me was that his first section on the economy is out of date because he's been overtaken by events. He is giving the Reith Lectures this year and I suspect he's having to revise each section on the hoof.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Ironic but having read loads of novels whilst being in Brittany, found that possibly 50% of them have based there stories on what the French did during the both WW. One in particular was called Wild Lavender Eileen
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A while ago I had run out of books to read and was feeling guilty about spending money on such a pleasurable thing when my husband pointed out that I spent a morning in the library every week...."er, you can borrow books you know".
He was right...I can!
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

A lot of female friends, many of whom have not picked up a book for years, are reading books about a Mister Grey and seem keen to get their partners involved in the pleasures( of reading I assume). Can't understand all the fuss.Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Fifty Shades of Grey could be a better read than Fr5guson's Civilization. Getting very annoyed with him. Rang an old mentor for a reality check and he agrees with me.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Have just read Ernest Childers `Riddle of the Sands', originally published in 1903. An amazing book although a bit heavy on sailing terminology and, of course, written in an old style that I found slightly off-putting - but worth the persistence. Apparently Winston Churchill said it was Childer's book that prompted the Admiralty to build its naval bases in Scotland. Before then we expected any threat to come from the French, therefore all bases were on the Thames or south coast. Childers made the government and Admiralty consider more seriously the potential threat from Germany which had been our ally until the end of the 1800s.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

One of my favourite books Peter. Have a look at this LINK. He was executed for treason in November 1922.
The book was one of many publications forecasting problems with the Kaiser and an increasingly belligerent Germany.
Heard from Martha this morning and she shares my misgivings about Ferguson.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The book (from our library) was a new edition and had a detailed biography of Childers plus notes and comments from historians. It's all as interesting as the novel itself. The man was pivotal in preparing us to meet the German threat and yet, as you said, executed for treason. All the Irish connection of course. He shook hands with each of the soldiers in the firing squad who were to execute him.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz, while you're in maritime mode have a look at 'Sailing Alone Around the World' by Joshua Slocum, I think you might enjoy it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Sounds like a good one for Doc!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Back to shed in morning and resting legs in afternoon reading while I wait for the new lens to be delivered. It will no doubt need a signature... Decided to have a look at a book that has puzzled me for years, 'From Darkness to Light' by Victor Gollanz (the publisher). Found it totally depressing..... Chucked it back on the shelf and got out an easy read, Dan Brown's 'Deception Point'. Not the best writing in the world but infinitely more readable than the collection of maunderings, or perhaps I'm not an 'intellectual'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Had a lazy day and read Dan Brown's 'Da Vinci Code'. Not 'great literature' but it kept me riveted all day even though it was a second time of reading.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Reading”