Test for videos posted on Facebook

Practice Your Posting Technique Here. By all means practice with the features of the post editor and gallery but please do not post permanent content here as this area is cleared from time to time.
Tripps

Re: Test for videos posted on Facebook

Post by Tripps » 28 Jun 2020, 13:10

Wow - it's official - I've got a friend. :smile:
Born to be mild. . .

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf » 28 Jun 2020, 13:39

PanBiker wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 12:21
Just a reminder that all these lovely videos will be deleted when this topic is auto purged next Saturday. Unless some kindly Moderator wants to move them to another permanent thread. :extrawink:
Not bothered really Ian. Just a fleeting link!

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf » 28 Jun 2020, 13:43

Tripps wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 13:10
Wow - it's official - I've got a friend. :smile:
If you get too nervous about it just unfriend me, I won't take offence. :smile: You can also unfollow someone whilst remaining friends, it just means that you don't see their posts in your page. You can hide your date of birth so it doesn't show.

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf » 28 Jun 2020, 14:11

Tripps, you will probably now be seeing my posts filling your News Feed, if you dont want to see them there then unfollow me but stay friends.

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion » 28 Jun 2020, 16:49

Wendyf wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 13:39
PanBiker wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 12:21
Just a reminder that all these lovely videos will be deleted when this topic is auto purged next Saturday. Unless some kindly Moderator wants to move them to another permanent thread. :extrawink:
Not bothered really Ian. Just a fleeting link!
they will be on facebook though, unless delete by user

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion » 28 Jun 2020, 16:54

Wendyf wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 10:02
Tripps wrote:
28 Jun 2020, 09:54
I had the impression that it wasn't possible to 'embed' a video into a thread - you had to just put a link to a remote site such as Youtube? Now we see that Wendyf has achieved it, and they're great .

How? :smile:
It's a link to the videos on my Facebook page Tripps not embedded in this thread.
Yes, in FB land sometimes a url link to a video may get a vid to run, a url link here may do the same, in some sites the url just stays there (one I use interprets YT ones, but they dont support vimeo - just the way the admins coded the site)

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf » 28 Jun 2020, 17:43

Just because I can I have now restricted access to the videos. 😉

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 29 Jun 2020, 02:08

Remember me saying I had another look at the FB log in? This morning I had three emails from FB in my inbox. Didn't bother to open any of them, just designated FB as junk. That should take care of that!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker » 29 Jun 2020, 08:29

Stanley wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 02:08
Didn't bother to open any of them, just designated FB as junk. That should take care of that!
I doubt that very much. Did you block the sender address?
Ian

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer » 29 Jun 2020, 09:20

I'm glad I don't need Facebook. I prefer not to associate myself with it. It's one of the reasons we are suffering from so much anger and misinformation worldwide. The Times newspaper has been running a campaign for months now exposing their bad practices. The newspaper has reported many examples to Facebook but they just ignore it or they take it down and it reappears a short time later. [rant off :smile: ]

Tripps

Post by Tripps » 29 Jun 2020, 11:34

Well - that was a bit of fun yesterday wasn't it. We still haven't seen Stanley's fiery video though which I thought was the object of the exercise..

I've had a good look at my Facebook account and (I think) made it even more private than it was. I can still have the occasional skulk around anonymously though. They think I live in Princes Risborough, wherever that is, which is good.

I have had a good look at my 'friend' Wendyf's photos and videos which was a treat, but I have taken her advice and (without prejudice as Judge Judy says) unfriended her. That took a while, but it's probably for the best. :smile:

As I suspected, and is now confirmed - it isn't for me. I'd rather keep most of my life more private. How anyone who has lots of friends copes I don't know. They must do little else. :smile:
Born to be mild. . .

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 29 Jun 2020, 12:01

They never appear in my Inbox if designated junk Ian, go straight to Junk Mail. That's all I wanted.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf » 29 Jun 2020, 12:15

Tripps wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 11:34
Well - that was a bit of fun yesterday wasn't it. We still haven't seen Stanley's fiery video though which I thought was the object of the exercise..

I've had a good look at my Facebook account and (I think) made it even more private than it was. I can still have the occasional skulk around anonymously though. They think I live in Princes Risborough, wherever that is, which is good.

I have had a good look at my 'friend' Wendyf's photos and videos which was a treat, but I have taken her advice and (without prejudice as Judge Judy says) unfriended her. That took a while, but it's probably for the best. :smile:

As I suspected, and is now confirmed - it isn't for me. I'd rather keep most of my life more private. How anyone who has lots of friends copes I don't know. They must do little else. :smile:
That's a relief ex-friend, I was worrying about you! :laugh5:

Tripps

Post by Tripps » 29 Jun 2020, 13:03

No worries, as they say - so I'm told 'It's not you, it's me' :laugh5:
Born to be mild. . .

Whyperion

Post by Whyperion » 29 Jun 2020, 20:18

I use FB for some local history and some transport related things, FB keeps sending me friend suggestions - I have not turned them off one may be interesting one day, but really odd ones, just because I visited a narrow guage page I get suggestions of rail workers in India as friends. Also I dont like the 'we have hidden the comments we dont think are relevant - thank you there normally are not many comments and I can work out whats relevant - and finally 'time line' is a bit of a joke, stuff appears in sort of random order (its actually depends how you navigate to the page - notification order, 'relevant reply/comment ' order, page creators date order - if FB thinks those posts are interesting, interspersed with some advert posts (If I can suffer ads in Coronation Street I will put up with ads in FB - they think I am an 85 year old Dog Owning Person in The middle of the scottish highlands.

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer » 30 Jun 2020, 09:23

When researching a news story about a new virus today I looked at a web page on the site of the prestigious US journal `Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences'. Because of my strict Firefox security settings the browser flagged up a warning that it had blocked trackers from Facebook, Twitter and Google. They're everywhere! Firefox tells me it has blocked trackers, fingerprinters etc for me 26,391 times since I made the change to the settings last October. I haven't yet noticed any adverse effects of using the strict settings.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 01 Jul 2020, 03:45

I have tracking blocked as well Tiz and haven't noticed any slowing down.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion

Post by Whyperion » 05 Jul 2020, 17:16

YT vid links were working
has the format changed from the bb advice help page ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdvRfPCrR3A

[bbvideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdvRfPCrR3A[/bbvideo]

[bbvideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w36CYveyCxU[/bbvideo]

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker » 05 Jul 2020, 19:05

This version of the post editor can only display the YouTube link as a URL. The latest version recently released can embed dozens of different video sources in their own placement or viewing windows within the post. I have just tested this version on the development site and it works well. It also has a few other additions such as Marquee text that scrolls in your posts, moderator comments and other useful bits and bobs.
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 06 Jul 2020, 02:28

Don't be tempted Ian!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques » 06 Jul 2020, 07:12

Almost brain dead as it is. I can just about manage OG as long as I don't go off piste and get into areas that are not in the current listing. What with a Starship Enterprise of a car plus a mobile phone (never had one before) and the smart TV acting the goat I need a hour in a dark room by the time it gets to 9.0 pm.

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker » 06 Jul 2020, 08:18

Stanley wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 02:28
Don't be tempted Ian!!
It's not the Devil incarnate. :extrawink: :smile:
Ian

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker » 06 Jul 2020, 08:20

Oh, if anyone is wondering why this thread is still here despite what I put in the OP. It's because folk keep contributing, the auto purge is set to toast it when it hasn't had a post for four days after the seven day grace period has ended. :geek:

Not often that testing posts in the practice forum get to 3 pages long!

Looks like folk are interested in having an easier route to Facebook and videos from other sources. :cool4:
Ian

Whyperion

Post by Whyperion » 06 Jul 2020, 23:18

PanBiker wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 19:05
This version of the post editor can only display the YouTube link as a URL. The latest version recently released can embed dozens of different video sources in their own placement or viewing windows within the post. I have just tested this version on the development site and it works well. It also has a few other additions such as Marquee text that scrolls in your posts, moderator comments and other useful bits and bobs.
As long as folk are happy with outbound URL links I dont care really if vids dont show on the board, its up to admin etc to decide what looks best. most YTs have that annoying 5 second advert at the start a mid point one and three banner ads these days, but they are handy for engineering projects being shown off and so on.

Return to “Practice Posting”