Amateur Radio Homebrew (Shack Culture)

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Amateur Radio Homebrew (Shack Culture)

Post by PanBiker » 21 Sep 2017, 10:35

I went up to my station last night but didn't play radio until later. I just listened to the local net on 2M FM while I was making some little brackets for our Jacks kitchen. for fixing the infill section in the base unit under the sink, didn't have anything small enough for the fixing so easier to make what I needed.
I called into the net when I had finished just as most other stations were signing off. Another friend Fred called in and we had a good hour discussing Li-Ion and Lipo battery technology and what was available. I may change tack on the battery arrangement for my C58. I am looking at the options for manufacturing a custom battery stack from individual cells, it would be a better option than the NiMh AA set in the holders. Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer batteries are a lot more resilient and is the battery type used in power tools, mobile phones, laptops, and tablets.

I have plenty of uses for the AA NiMh batteries that I bought.
Ian

Big Kev
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Big Kev » 21 Sep 2017, 16:23

We may have to have a chat regarding power tool batteries. I'm looking to replace the cells in a cordless drill.
Kev

A Resigned Observer

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques » 21 Sep 2017, 18:15

Kev. If you ever find out how to do it using single replaceable cells let me know. These tend to be a different design to what is on the market as a consumable item. They also tend to be spot welded in series which doesn't help home construction. Living in hope.

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker » 21 Sep 2017, 18:59

The ones I am contemplating are the 18650 3.7v 2500mA. These are 18mm dia and 65mm long. these are a cell type package but Fred said that there are some Li-Ion types manufactured in a flat pack type enclosure. Not found any of these in the searches I have done so far. The 18650's are a common type used in Laptop's and other larger battery powered equipment. Arranged in series to increase the voltage and also parallel stacks to multiply the current handling. My main HF transceiver can be operated on battery and has provision for two battery packs to be fitted, mine was fully populated when I bought it although one is faulty and will no longer hold charge. This could be due to just an odd cell in the stack but involves pulling it apart to check. They should give 11.1v at 5000mA which is 6 cells arranged as two parallel stacks of 3 cells each in series. The battery cavity in my portable transceiver is 78mm x 60mm x 28mm with a quick measure up. Plenty of room to put three in series for 2.5A and maybe parallel another three although that might be a bit tight. The transceiver was originally fitted with 700mA ni-cads and will run on any voltage between 9v and 16v. On transmit the transceiver draws 600ma and around 100ma on receive so typically gave about 90 minutes of use on a single charge. Fitting three Li-Ion batteries will push that up to over 5 hours.

Samsung 18650 Li-Ion

Samsung make a 3400mA version of the cell also.
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 22 Sep 2017, 03:16

:biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer » 02 Mar 2018, 10:02

Ian might glean some interest out of this...now I know what a Squawk 7700 alert is! The link doesn't explain why the aircraft put out an alert but it's interesting to know how they do it.
`This is why a Royal Air Force Hercules plane declared emergency over waters near Somerset' LINK

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker » 02 Mar 2018, 10:14

Despite the headline,the article doesn't actually give the reason for the alert because the RAF won't say. Interesting, it will be filed in report and then buried, investigate in 30 or maybe 50 years and you may be able to get an answer.
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 03 Mar 2018, 04:31

:good:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Amateur Radio”