Wooden boats.

hartley353

Wooden boats.

Post by hartley353 »

Probably one of the slowest builds ever, at one time I reached the speed of fitting one plank every three days. Over the last weekend I applied coats of paint and varnish these will have to be knocked back a bit to give signs of weathering now the basic lump is near completion. Due to a large number of other things I would prefer to be doing it will go away till the winter. When she re-emerges the hard work begins two masts to be stepped and the rigging to be done. All the fishing gear to be replicated, and the sails to be sewn plus the fine detaiing. During the hull build I made provision for electrification so that navigation lights, deck lights, deck house will be illuminated, also the prop will turn.
DSC_0003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chinatyke
Donor

Re: Wooden boats.

Post by chinatyke »

Beautiful. I'm amazed by the talent of the members of this site. Does this vessel have a particular significance for you?
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

What a challenge. There isn't a straight bit of wood anywhere to be found in a boat. It must have taken ages to make.
On the electrics side, you could get one of the cheapo torches from ebay and use the NI batteries / LED's for the lights etc.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Thanks for looking chinatyke. No there is no great significance to this boat, it is based on a scandinavian fishing boat. This is the fourth boat I have built. The first was the Victory as most people start, then the Bluenose, and thirdly a paddle steamer. when they are finished I auction them, and the monies go to the Lifeboat institute. My efforts are not up to the standard of the committed builder. It is just a means of keeping busy.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

plaques wrote:What a challenge. There isn't a straight bit of wood anywhere to be found in a boat. It must have taken ages to make.
On the electrics side, you could get one of the cheapo torches from ebay and use the NI batteries / LED's for the lights etc.
Miniature Leds are readily available, as is the fine insulated wire. The number of people selling to modellers on the net is amazing. Once you have amassed the tools the rest is easy. Plenty of plans to be had, and the wood comes in all types, and sizes. Should I choose to build a further model when this is complete I would like to try a steam launch, there are many steam engines available now, and boilers but not cheap.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Miniature tools for model making.
DSC_0002.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Model Building”