Woodturned Jewelry Box

micktoon
Regular User

Woodturned Jewelry Box

Post by micktoon »

Hello everyone ,
I thought I would post some photos of a wood jewelry box I have made for a birthday present , the box and finial is made from ash and the lid and ring pegs from mahogany. The design is just something I came up with and the idea is the rings will go on the pegs, earrings on the shelf area and bracelets and necklaces in the lower hollowed out section. I will post photos of the box getting made at various stages.

This is the finished box .

First the wood blank is cut to shape on the band saw.

I am quite new to woodturning and was unsure about what tools and system to use cutting the shelf part out so a more experienced friend helped me with this part of the box, the marroon lathe is his machine we did this part on his lathe ( thanks for the help John :grin: ). The underside of the box is turned to shape first while it is held with a faceplate and screws, the wood the screws go into will be removed later, the recess in the bottom of the box is where it will be held in the chuck for turning the inside.

Once the outside is done , the face plate is removed and the half turned blank turned around so the inside can be hollowed out the expanding jaws on the chuck now hold the box via the recess in its base. This is done with various gouges and then the box is sanded to remove tool marks, the outside can also be sanded while held from the base.

I will post more stages of the lid and pegs getting done and the finish being applied tomorrow. I hope this is of intrest to someone and please ask questions if you have any.
Thanks Mick.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Woodturned Jewelry Box

Post by Wendyf »

It is lovely.
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Hi Wendy , Thanks, I am glad you like it. I have a bit more time than I thought so will post more pictures of the box getting made.

The lid was next and back on my lathe , The blank was trued up and a recess put in what would be the top of the lid so it can be held to do the undersdie of the lid first.

The underside of the box is turned to shape, the box is tried up against it until the lid fits the box, a recess is also put into the roof of the lid to enable it to be held in the chuck to reverse it and turn what will be the top of the lid, the similar recess in the top of the lid that is holding the blank at this point will be removed as wood is turned from the top of the lid, this recess is just a temporary way of holding the object..

Once happy with the shape and fit the underside , it is sannded from rough to smooth going down various grits of sand paper, then sealed and waxed.

The lid is now reversed and the profile of the top turned while it is held by the recess in the underside of the lid.

The hole in the lid is for the finial to fit into, once the shape is correct the lid is sanded and waxed.

Now the box does not need to be handled anymore it is put back on the lathe and sanded and finished with wax inside and out,

The finial is now made to fit the hole in the lid ( I forgot to take photos of this stage :surprised: but the small ring pegs are the made in the same way ) This is a ring peg getting made in a smaller chuck.
Sorry for the blurred photo. I needed five of these but had to make seven to get five looking the same.

The box was then marked out for the pegs and drilled on the drill press and the pegs put in with a drop of glue each. The finial was attached with a screw from under the lid, doing it this way means the finial can be changed for a different style in the future, the recesses in the base and underside of the lid also mean the box can be re sanded and finished in the future is it ever gets worn and tatty looking. The whole project probably took a full day to do.
Thanks Mick.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Smashing Mick, thanks for posting that. I can almost smell the beeswax! A very nice object.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice tidy job Mick. Do you use a handful of shavings to burnish the surface after sanding?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Thanks for the comments everyone :grin:

Yes Stanley I do sometimes use the shavings to burnish but to be honest I just forgot on this project but the yew sands very well so it did not miss it.

Cheers Mick.
david9091

Post by david9091 »

This is our pleasure to post in this topic this is amazing skill please carry on and share more useful information and amazing facts for us ..... thanks a lot
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Welcome to the site David. Have a look at Shed Matters Marine Engines, Mick posts there as well, he isn't limited to woodturning!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Wood Working”