Woodturned mushroom box

micktoon
Regular User

Woodturned mushroom box

Post by micktoon »

Hi all , I have made another woodturned box in the form of a mushroom , its made from yew and is about three inches diameter and about three inches high, the top lifts off, the bottom is recessed out to make it into a small box, maybe you could keep a few rings or something in there. As it was a birthday present I put a lottery ticket in it then wrapped it :grin: ...... it didn't win :sad:

The finished box.

The top started out as rough bit of yew , its turned in the lathe until its round then shaped into the mushroom shaped lid, the part gripped in the chuck will locate to lid into the box.

Once the shape is right , the lid is sanded down through finer grits of paper then waxed, this shot is the first coat of wax so still some lines in the wax , these are lightly cut back and a second light wax applied and buffed up to a nice shine.

Now the base of the box is made froma similar bit of yew.

This is trued up until it is a cylinder and running true. The spigot sticking out the end is what will be gripped by the chuck to do the main turning and hollowing.

The box is roughly shaped and the main hole bored into the body.

Once the hole is bored out the inside is cleaned up with gouges and scrapers until its the right size for the lid to fit into and smooth enough to sand.

The outside of the box is then shaped firther and sanded until smooth enough to wax , its buffed off and the slim groove you can see next to the chuck end is where a slim parting tool ( like a knife ) is used to seperate the box from this remainder of wood that will be scrap left in the chuck.

Hope you like this project ,

There is no dye or stain used all the colours are the natural colour and grain of the wood. Also as you can see most of the initial wood end up as shavings on the floor, maybe more than usual was wasted on this project as there were many knots , cracks and funny crossed grains but this is also what gives the finished thing its character . Thanks Mick.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Woodturned mushroom box

Post by Big Kev »

This is very good. I do like natural wood and am quite jealous of your skill.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Hi Kev thanks for your comments :grin:
I have not really got that much skill to be honest and still new to woodturning. If you had a go you would be suprised what you could make I bet. I joined a woodturning club and they are all eager to help and give advice so if you did fancy a go I would look up your local club, most areas have them, you get to see demos and the other members often have equipment and tools etc for sale .
thanks Mick.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Watch out for the dust! Some woods are very dangerous.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Wood Working”