Buckyball

plaques
Donor

Buckyball

Post by plaques »

Unlike the excellent example of wood carving posted by Miketoon, my winter projects was something more mundane. Typical of engineers it had to be something with a technical content while at the same time the end result must serve no purpose whatsoever. After much deliberation the final choice was a wooden soccer ball. Not just a large lump of wood turned in a lathe but a modern hollow Buckyball. Or to give it its proper name a truncated icosahedron.. Now there’s a word you can impress your pals down the pub with. Basically it comprises of twenty hexagons and twelve pentagons. The basic shapes are well known but unfortunately, with the faces having thickness the interface angles required a bit of basic trigonometry. A task I could have avoided if I’d done a proper Google search.
Accuracy is paramount, but not having access to a computer driven multi-axis milling machine I opted for the next best thing, a hacksaw and sandpaper. I must admit making this quantity of identical parts was a bit of a bore. Then came the difficult bit. Gluing them together. With higher management always too busy to bother with such trivialities and me being born with a genetic fault that gave me only one pair of hands; this operation proved to be a major stumbling block. Finally after much deliberation and a rare surge of activity and with one mighty bound our hero was free or in this case stuck together
The end result was exactly what I wanted a good talking point but utterly useless. .

For anyone who is really interested in wood carving I would suggest Google “You Tube” Grinling Gibbons.. Fantastic Stuff!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Buckyball

Post by Stanley »

"not having access to a computer driven multi-axis milling machine I opted for the next best thing, a hacksaw and sandpaper" I like it!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Yes, I like that as well, very impressive using only basic tools, for me, although in different material it has shades of my Penny Spitfire project from a few years ago.

I would disagree with the comment about having no purpose, it's an excellent example of the use of basic tools and elbow grease!
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree Ian, any form of hand work is, apart from anything else, good therapy. If the end result is beautiful or impressive so much the better but it's the process that matters....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Well, I would like to say I am well impressed with the outcome and can imagine those 3D type angles being a real pain so well done indeed, shapes like this show up any faults too as everything is repeated so a big challenge to keep things looking even. The Romans had a similar thing called dodecahedrons but each side had a hole in it , so it was hollow lattice sort of effect with small balls on the corners as in this link http://www.archeolog-home.com/pages/con ... rever.html By the sounds of it no one knows what they were for or why they had them.

Keep up the good work , Cheers Mick.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The thing that comes to mind as a parallel is the nests of concentric carved balls made by Oriental ivory carvers. Made out of the solid......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

It might get a use.

Return to “Wood Working”