Suggestions Box

micktoon
Regular User

Suggestions Box

Post by micktoon »

Evening All , I have be giving an old box a new purpose , I have had this old box off some bit of medical equipment for years but no real use for it. The woodturning club I go to needed a suggestions box for members to leave feedback and ideas about the running of the club, so I thought I would adapt the box.

This is the box as it was

Stripped down , then sanded

There were a few holes that needed filled two small ones in the bottom seen in the middle here, I drilled 4 corner shallow holes to stick the rubber feet that are in sheet form resting on the box, these normally just come off unless set into a shallow recess

I have the lathe and collet chuck so got a bit of similar wood and turned it down into a dowel with a slight taper to each end , this was sawn in half and glued into the holes.

There was also a bigger nasty hole in the back, this was a random rough sided irregular thing so I got a suitable sized washer and drew around the hole and used the same washer to also draw a matching circle in a bit of similar scrap wood, I then filed the hole true and round and did the same to the scrap. The plug was then glued in with the grain running the same way, trimmed down and sanded , the colour match was not perfect but ok for what it is and I was on a dead line as the club was on that night too.

The strap was knackered so a new leather one made

I cut a hole in the lid and rounded it off using the router and guides, you can see the hole that was plugged in the back ground

The box was then stained with spirit stain, a coat or two of laquer

A light buff with fine wire wool , waxed and the hardware put back on.

I then printed a label on the computer and laminated it , attached it with double sided sticky tape and the jobs a good un !

Cheers Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Suggestions Box

Post by Stanley »

I like rescuing artefacts. I once saw a Dobbie indicator in a box that was smashed to pieces in Dixon's office at Burnley. They gave it to me and luckily all the pieces were there so it ended up looking OK. I don't think anyone would know how bad it was from looking at it.

When Boholt Fine Joinery put the mahogany caps on the railings in Ellenroad engine house they showed the lads how to make pads from OOO wire wool filled with beeswax polish and told them to keep polishing lightly. Eventually it gave us a perfect finish.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Wood Working”