Gymnast.

plaques
Donor

Gymnast.

Post by plaques »

I found an off cut of birch, only a small piece. 5" x 4" x 2" and decided to try something different. Birch is a very hard wood that really demands the use of a mallet to make any inroads into it. Having said that it holds detail very well.
The first picture is at the roughing out stage. Usually this is where I go wrong big style. It almost qualifies as a mystery object.
P4010010AC.jpg
The next two are almost finished. Possibly some refinement, staining and polishing which I will gladly take advice on.
I don't consider myself an artist and the old memory is fading fast so if they look odd that's my excuse.
P5050002AC.jpg
View on the other side.
P5050004AC.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LizG

Re: Gymnast.

Post by LizG »

Wow, it's fantastic.
Liz
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I think she looks great, maybe the heel of her hand (in the second photo) contacting the wood could be more rounded.
Wish I could do that pose. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Wow brilliant.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Cathy wrote:Wish I could do that pose.
Funny the ladies in the over 80's Yoga class didn't have any difficulty. Although I would have needed a wider piece of wood. (I joke).
Thanks Cathy for your observation. You were quite right. The detail has now been corrected along with a bit more thinning of the forearm and wrist. Sometimes you know something is not quite right but you can't spot it.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I must come clean now. The pictures show what I considered a near fatal mistake that could have resulted in the carving finishing up in the scrap pile. Fortunately, I've been able to recover from the error. I still posted the original for a bit of devilment. So either nobody has noticed or you are being kind in not mentioning it.
So I will offer it up as a "Spot the Mystery Mistake".
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I am not being picky, and only mention it because you said something had gone unnoticed, but is it that the top model hasn't got a nipple, but the bottom model does have a nipple...??? Is that what I am seeing?
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

You have a left foot on a right leg!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Wendy is right, left on right, pretty obvious when its pointed out. That's what comes of trying to do the pose and looking in a mirror and then drawing it on some paper at the same time. And if you believe that you will believe anything.
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Hi Plaques, I have just seen this post now , well I think its really good even with the foot from the wrong leg lol, it probably gives it more interest as you can see how many people notice it when looking at the carving. I have never tried carving Birch but could imagine it to be hard stuff, excellent job, I like the pose.
I am going to try to finish my pointer dog this week and am busy with another hare too so will post photos later in the week all going well.

Cheers Mick.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Can't think why but I have only just seen this post! Usual standard Mick....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Wood Working”