Miscellaneous DIY Projects (or bits of jobs)

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Miscellaneous DIY Projects (or bits of jobs)

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 08:30
Big Kev wrote: 26 Mar 2021, 21:39 Thanks Ian, the guys did a great job. The weather threw a spanner in the works so I've got to wait until Wednesday for the bay window on the kitchen now, then it's my turn to do some work with the kitchen refit.
Kev, I was just thinking that now we are in times when we get thunder storms and floods of biblical proportions it may be wise to review if you need any additional flooding protection to stop it entering the house.
The concrete slopes away from the house to the drain, the original back door is on the same level as the new doors (not had any issues with that) and there's 3 inches of frame on top of the cill so all should be good.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Now the French doors are in the next stage is to remove the old back door. Decision was made to use a timber frame and OSB, this was then clad with UPVC shiplap.
Once the 'outside' work was done I removed the old door (from the inside), packed the frame with insulation and screwed some OSB offcuts in place.
Next job is a 3 drawer base unit with the oven housing above, that's for another day though. Youngest offspring and family are over tomorrow for an alfresco Barlick Raj Buffet and I've got to get the gazebo and chimenea out of mothballs :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Additional insulation in the kitchen, particularly in the void that has the gas meter in it, has made a massive difference in temperature. Investigation found just underfelt and the slates in the top of the void, considering it's 0 degrees outside this morning I have over 60 degrees in the kitchen, over 10 degrees warmer than previously.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's a result..... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Plasterboard, edge beads, scrim tape and first coat of filler has tidied up the old back door opening. I bought the 3 drawer base unit today, it'll be a few days before I finish the job as I'm back on shift tomorrow.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I found a mirror for my dining room on Ebay, needs a clean and a bit of fettling to fit in the fire surround. Need to finish the kitchen first but it's coming to the end of my shift rotation so there's plenty of time for both
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The drawer carcasses arrived for the kitchen base unit today, definitely on for a bit of DIY on Thursday now.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds as though it's all go..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I'd only get bored when I'm off shift :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
( I saw a reference to the thumbs up emoticon, modern kids think it's old fashioned and don't use it. Sounds about right.... :biggrin2: )
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

White paint finished on the garage that is until I start with the black paint on the wood work. :sad:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 07:42 White paint finished on the garage that is until I start with the black paint on the wood work. :sad:
It's a nice day for it, I'm indoors building a kitchen cabinet.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think you should all go to the seaside for a paddle....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Still a work in progress but it's getting there. It took me ages to move one of the existing cupboards, into the space vacated by the oven, to make room for the freezer. It's definitely the smallest kitchen I've ever had :biggrin2:
20210416_083201.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Painted half the wood work on the garage yesterday all ground level stuff. Today it'll be the apex over the door, ladder stuff. Mrs P ready with camera to catch any YouTube money spinners.

Nipped down for a swim yesterday which most people will know is near Vivary way the scene of the 'young 'ladies accident, Total chaos. The accident appeared to be in the narrow section between Barrowford Rd and the old North Valley pub. Once the police had directed the traffic off the motor way it was just one free for all with enormous artics trying to get down back streets looking for a way back to Albert Rd. At about 12 noon. heard an ambulance siren going off but the road was clear by 1 pm.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Bit more done today...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Surprising how much work is involved in getting things just right. I can't see from the picture but do you have any outside ventilation?

PS What's that bit of wire doing on the floor? :laugh5:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 07:45 Surprising how much work is involved in getting things just right. I can't see from the picture but do you have any outside ventilation?

PS What's that bit of wire doing on the floor? :laugh5:
I do indeed, there's a bay window just out of shot on the left. There's an extraction hood above the hob too.
The cable is the supply to the oven, I've got to install the trunking for it but cooking tea was a higher priority :biggrin2:

I'm in search of a bit of worktop to sit on top of the oven too, no one wants to sell a bit 600mm long. The bit of plywood will have to do until I can find a bit.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 08:42 I'm in search of a bit of worktop to sit on top of the oven too, no one wants to sell a bit 600mm long. The bit of plywood will have to do until I can find a bit.
Just had a quick look, I thought we had a bit spare from our kitchen but unfortunately we have already passed it on. It was dark grey marble, sorry Kev.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 10:14
Big Kev wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 08:42 I'm in search of a bit of worktop to sit on top of the oven too, no one wants to sell a bit 600mm long. The bit of plywood will have to do until I can find a bit.
Just had a quick look, I thought we had a bit spare from our kitchen but unfortunately we have already passed it on. It was dark grey marble, sorry Kev.
Thanks for looking Ian. I've asked in the Foulridge Facebook page too. I'm sure someone will have a bit. You'd have thought the big DIY shops would sell it by the metre, 3 metres is quite a lot to buy to use 600mm of it :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We definitely had an off cut but I think it went to Heather (Calluna) for her workroom who asked first.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I got a bit :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A bit more done today, cut and fitted the bit of salvaged worktop on the oven housing. Still need to stick the edging strip on but it's no good rushing these things, I have a chicken dinner to cook :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 07:00 I found a mirror for my dining room on Ebay, needs a clean and a bit of fettling to fit in the fire surround. Need to finish the kitchen first but it's coming to the end of my shift rotation so there's plenty of time for both
There's been a bit of progress on the overmantle mirror, I've fitted the spindles to the front of the shelves and made 'bottom' shelves for it. There was a piece of the top cornice missing, fortunately I have a very talented neighbour (he was a toolmaker at Bristol Tractors in Earby) who has hand carved a replacement piece. I'll add pictures later.

Later, the cornice repair

Spindles reinstated and a bit of a clean. I have some Jacobean Dark Oak wax coming today, it's a bit too red at the moment so hopefully the wax will darken it down a bit.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

We bought one very similar some while ago from the second hand auction shop now on Colne Rd Burnley, (was in Kings mill before it closed down). Nobody seems to want brown furniture but bevel edged mirrors cost a fortune now-a-days. A good bit of period furniture I would say. :good:

Return to “DIY”