This Really Is the Final Morris Minor for Us

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

This Really Is the Final Morris Minor for Us

Post by Whyperion »

Father, as part of his impending funeral arrangements ( Drs have already written him off twice in last five years ) , has somewhat reduced what was stored in his garage. All the wood for the boat has been made accessilble in the hope for the boat to find a good home with better experts than he thought he was. Now, apart from the wood that is that SHOULD belong in the Traveller. As ever nothing is so simple. This 1964 Rose Taupe model had some 'repair' work done on it by his friend. (so welding is done to a fashion rather than a standard- but should last another five years ), was first registered at a UK LVLO/DVLA in 1972. My son has decided that it is worth the additional time to complete the cleaning , repaint as required and re-assemble as it is sound enough, once the garage is truly accessible to work inside. We have to decide which panels will need to be repaired before re-fitting- the doors are perhaps the worst , along with a re-think on how much wood is structurally OK or otherwise. In tandem with working on the 4 door engine and body finishing we have decided that the gearbox and trim internals can get cleaned up and stored away before Christmas, and its only do we fit a 1275cc engine for modern motorway use or not that will decide a timescale of 10 months to MOT is reasonable.

We changed out the very flat tyre for a slightly better crossply wheel so it does roll better now ( brakes need doing but will be last, searching the loft for all the misc bolts and bits is next priority ) . Final pic shows a Vauxhall Viva/?chevette cylinder head- again that is free to anyone whom can make use of.
chinatyke
Donor

Re: This Really Is the Final Morris Minor for Us

Post by chinatyke »

Good luck with it, a lovely restoration project for someone. It would be great to see it in A1 condition back on the roads again.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

The 1098 engine got a bit of a strip down , its been sent off for engineering work ( slight polish to the mains and big end journals and cranks , new shell bearings ), new oil pump, general clean out of the waterways, new camshaft and cam followers , the work is not 100% needed but the aim is for 40-80,000 miles 20yrs before it needs to come out again. (new oil filter obviously) Will return as a short block for us to re-bolt water pump and other external ancillaries. The head is currently on the other 1098 morris , and the older new one off that is getting its faulty alleged new valve seat inserts and a couple of worn guides replaces plus new rocker shaft and valves (with matching collets). The ancillaries will probably include and alternator in dynamo sized outer , and a few extras like hazard, reversing and fog lights in , with halogen headlights and LED side lights for a little be of C21st usabilit, requiring a new loom making up. If the weather improves the other internal electrics will get cleaned up and checked out and the purchased brake bits re-found out of whatever cupboard they got put into.

The sound wood needs a further clean back and suitable oil/varnish.

Having a couple of quotes for the wood replacement where its missing , welding the missing / rusty metal ( there is not too much ) and a re-spray. Nice wheels and tyres are ready to get fitted. The whole thing should be ready for MOT , a date -specific registration (maybe - a P suffix reg on historic would be quite interesting- dont know how easy that is now LVLA offices have closed ), by the end of April.

Thankfully I'm not paying for it (other than insurance - I'll be the main driver , the idea is to use it as mix going to local events selling off my general accumulated overstocks , and the fetcher/carrier for the other cars' parts that are needed. It might make it up the M6 ( thankfully lorries go a 56MPH and trailing one of those saves on fuel use) where at least I have a garage it can fit into, if so I aim to be out at a few York/Cumbria shows if we get a summer.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sounds like a plan, best of luck with the rebuild and for a decent summer to showcase your work.
Ian
Whyperion

Re: This Really Is the Final Minor for Us (Taupe Travellor)

Post by Whyperion »

We took the rear body off, and found a bit of hidden rust (missing metal), both sides.

Engine is nearly done, gearbox seems OK needs clean through, brakes will get inplace at weekend I hope. I fitted copper/knifer pipes to the 4door, but I think Steel ones might be as good with this, main expenditure will be another clutch and door repairs/ replacement.

We have had a garage move around, with the Wooden shelf/bench and its steel vice now down with power in the large garage. We will be adding a pipe vice - its quite a large aperture, anyone got an adaptor I could use to hold smaller round stuff in place.

I have to find a way of removing varnish runs off the rear inc door panels paintwork, I'm mostly using a plastic scraper and thinners which is tedious .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “DIY”