Miscellaneous DIY Projects (or bits of jobs)

chinatyke
Donor

Re: Miscellaneous DIY Projects (or bits of jobs)

Post by chinatyke »

Last week I decided to replace the two ceiling light fittings in our lounge. They are 8 or 9 years old and I was bored with them and wanted something nicer. Over the weekend I ordered two 10-"arm" fixtures with crystal glass shades. This morning they arrived perfectly packed in two cartons. Everything intact except there were only 19 arms! On the work order/warehouse picking sheet it said the picker was called Sloth0002. Probably an apt description!
The supplier is despatching the missing "arm" tonight. I've fixed one up in the mid-lounge position and I'm delighted with it.
Whenever I do a job like this I get questions from my wife like "Why are you doing that when there is nothing wrong with the old one?"/ "How much has that cost?"
Replies like: "Because I fancied a change" and "It's cost you nothing!"

Cost was about eighty quid, and guaranteed for 10 years. They even came with (20) 12W LED bulbs.

She has admitted it is much nicer but liked the old ones because they were a traditional style. The old ones are stripped down and boxed up to use as replacements if required in our rented-out apartment.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

chinatyke wrote: 05 May 2021, 11:20 Everything intact except there were only 19 arms! On the work order/warehouse picking sheet it said the picker was called Sloth0002. Probably an apt description!
:biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When indoor plumbing was put in at this house the nearest room to the sewer was the back bedroom so that became the bathroom. So I have bathroom that is at least 8X5 metres. :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 06 May 2021, 03:17 When indoor plumbing was put in at this house the nearest room to the sewer was the back bedroom so that became the bathroom. So I have bathroom that is at least 8X5 metres. :biggrin2:
You sure about that measurement? 26' x 16'? Over 400 square feet? - Sounds like it is bigger than the footprint of the house. :surprised:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

chinatyke wrote: 06 May 2021, 03:28
Stanley wrote: 06 May 2021, 03:17 When indoor plumbing was put in at this house the nearest room to the sewer was the back bedroom so that became the bathroom. So I have bathroom that is at least 8X5 metres. :biggrin2:
You sure about that measurement? 26' x 16'? Over 400 square feet? - Sounds like it is bigger than the footprint of the house. :surprised:
Possibly a typo there I reckon, the lounge/diner in the house I had in the 'sarf' was that size...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Did you forget to put points in your bathroom measurements Stanley, or are you getting mixed up with your Ballroom measurements? :extrawink:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Typo, I am getting old. I measured it with the Co-op 5ft fabric measure and it's actually 12ft X 9ft. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

And there was I thinking you lived in a Tardis. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No China, just made a bad guess. Today's figure is accurate.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Today I received my missing 'arm' and installed the second light fitting. The LED bulbs were included and were described as "dimmable" which I assumed meant that they could be dimmed if you had a dimmer switch installed on the wall. I got a nice surprise during commissioning because when first switched on the bulbs emit 6000K white light with half the LEDs active, turn off and on again and the other half of the LEDs become active and emit 3000K yellow light, and turn off and on again and all the LEDs are active and produce a 4000K warm white. Ain't technology great? :biggrin2:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

chinatyke wrote: 07 May 2021, 06:59 Today I received my missing 'arm' and installed the second light fitting. The LED bulbs were included and were described as "dimmable" which I assumed meant that they could be dimmed if you had a dimmer switch installed on the wall. I got a nice surprise during commissioning because when first switched on the bulbs emit 6000K white light with half the LEDs active, turn off and on again and the other half of the LEDs become active and emit 3000K yellow light, and turn off and on again and all the LEDs are active and produce a 4000K warm white. Ain't technology great? :biggrin2:
Nice, when I replaced all the old incandescent bulbs with LEDs a few years ago the higher colour temperature seemed very strange. Soon got used to it thought.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

China, my head must be wired up different than yours.
"I was bored with them and wanted something nicer"
I can't imagine getting bored with a light fitting. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Plumber has been and removed the radiator in the bedroom. It's a double panel job so wont fit under the window without sticking out it will be replaced with a new wider but thinner one that will fit nicely under the window bottom. I can crack on with my decorating now, remnants of paper to come off and then it will be on with the Wallrock and painting the woodwork. I have taken the sealant out at the top of the window so that will need replacing as well.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 10 May 2021, 08:43 Plumber has been and removed the radiator in the bedroom. It's a double panel job so wont fit under the window without sticking out it will be replaced with a new wider but thinner one that will fit nicely under the window bottom.
Have a look at Screwfix, Ian. I had to go to Keighley to find stock but they were very reasonable and came with a TRV and lockshield. Not sure if all the sizes have the same deal but it's the Kudox premium brand I used.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I forgot to put up the pictures of what I found on the bedroom wall. First one is the lozenge outline, this is to the left of the window but there are remnants on the right also. You can also see that there was probably a dado rail at one time.

Inside the lozenge there are simple stylised flowers which look to have been hand painted by the decorators.

A slightly closer view showing radiating lines.

All back under cover now, I have nearly finished the Wallrock layer. Just a bit to do above and below the window. Lining paper will be next, I may put that on horizontally, it will be easier into the window sides and will cover the joins on the Wallrock layer better. The Wallrockl is foil on one side which is a heat reflective layer on a black backing which is the damp stop layer. The special adhesive seems to be latex based and it's a paste the wall job although you can do it the other way. I think I will put a double layer under the window where the radiator will be.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Good idea with the double layer, the less heat radiated through the wall the better. If you can get a small air gap in there too even better. I've used what is effectively bubble wrap with a layer of tin foil either side to create a thermal break.

Let me know if you want a bit, I have some here.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I often wonder why radiators were fitted on outside walls. When BG put this system in 25 years ago I stipulated all double panel and all on interior walls. At one time they were invariably fitted beneath windows and often hidden behind long curtains.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A lot of reasoning behind fitting under windows was to do with making wall space unavailable. The radiator in the spare bedroom here is under the window, it's a very small room. With the exception of the hallway, which is on a party wall, the rest are internal.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 08 May 2021, 03:34 China, my head must be wired up different than yours.
"I was bored with them and wanted something nicer"
I can't imagine getting bored with a light fitting. :biggrin2:
It's just redecoration really because the apartments have a quite minimalistic design style.

Back to the planning again. We have an open plan lounge, dining room and kitchen. The existing ceiling fan/light unit over the dining table now doesn't match the two new light fittings I installed in the lounge. There isn't a fan and light combination offered in the new style. I've been pondering over this problem for two or three days. This afternoon I removed the lighting unit from under the ceiling fan and discovered a way of adapting a 6-arm new style light fitting so that it fits perfectly and matches the ones in the lounge. My wife kept looking and shaking her head but hasn't yet asked why there is no longer a light over the dining room table. I've already put the order in for the new light fitting and made the adapter piece.

I must get a vise, I'm fed up with making do with G-clamps.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

We need pictures of this China. I am going to change the light fitting in my hallway purely for aesthetics. It's currently a four head spotlight which is more suited to a kitchen. I have a 3 arm pendant that came out of the Park Street house, it needs a new glass shade but it may be easier to get 3 rather than try to match the existing. It's on my list of jobs along with the trim around the kitchen floor and the redecorating of the dining room.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We have two that will be under windows, main living room because as you say Kev no where else to put it with two sofas in the room. The one in our bedroom will be moved out of an alcove to under the window. It was at the side of a free standing wardrobe in the alcove and once that is free I may think about building a fitted one in there. All the others are on internal walls.
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Big Kev wrote: 15 May 2021, 09:14 We need pictures of this China.
I'll take a photo when it is finished, probably next Tuesday.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

chinatyke wrote: 15 May 2021, 10:53
Big Kev wrote: 15 May 2021, 09:14 We need pictures of this China.
I'll take a photo when it is finished, probably next Tuesday.
:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A laborious but essential job...

Nail head filling.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

First coat of primer is on, second coat tomorrow. It's quick drying primer but it's nearly tea time so it can wait :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “DIY”