SHED MATTERS 2

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: SHED MATTERS 2

Post by Stanley »

Thanks China. As I said earlier, I like the escape from the mistake better than the original intention.
And yes, that's what fascinates me about doing these things.... And, in the end, I will have the bonus of it springing into life when steam goes on it....
I have a good friend who is 'consumed by rage and grief' (his words) on account of the political situation. I never give it a thought when I am going quietly forward making lumps of scrap smaller.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

First job, finish the other eccentric rod.

I decided to fit Sarah's rod first. I've taken the studs out of the eccentric, adjusted the position of the eccentric on the shaft and blued the foot of the rod. I'm ready for some measuring and marking....

Once measured marked and punched I got it under the drill, not a lot of clearance....

Occasionally ther Shed Gods take pity on you. I went into the tin marked 'stub drills' and found exactly what I needed, a 3/16" stub drill.....

I soon had it drilled and went part way to making sure there was enough clearance between the hole and the rod for the nut. I'll finish it with the file in the final fitting. I always have this problem!

Knocking off time. I got the position of the holes almost right, just needed a touch of adjustment. Studs are a but shy but there are ways round that. I need to relieve the rod a bit more for the nuts before I lace it up but that's for tomorrow.... I have done enough careful and exacting work for one morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started worrying about possible problems with valve setting last night but have convinced myself that no problem is insurmountable! I get these episodes of self doubt and have to be very hard on myself!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

What's the model number of your Morso stove, Stanley?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morso Squirrel 1410 Kev.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

First job this morning in view of my doubts was to have a very careful look at the rabbit. It was as I thought, my fag packet drawings have let me down and I have shortened the eccentric rods too much. Not a biggie, I can make the valve rod longer and compensate for it but it means that there will be more of the rod stuck out of the gland than is ideal.... I have two choices, remake the eccentric rod or crash on with a longer valve rod. Guess which avenue I chose.....

Progress, the new valve rod made and fitted, the eccentric rod foot filed out to give clearance for the nuts and the rod fitted to the eccentric brass.

Then a careful set up in the mill and the excess milled off the eccentric rod foot on all four sides.

The rod finished apart from prettying up later. The valve set to approximately the right position and it's looking like an engine!

One last check. I fitted a dog on the shaft and made sure that the engine turns with nothing fouling internally. I knew there wasn't but no harm in checking! Technically Sarah's engine is a runner from now on.....

Last job at knocking off time. Sarah taken in the kitchen and Deborah brought on to the bench ready for the same fitting procedure tomorrow. Nice morning, I enjoyed that!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Top work Stanley, nice recovery from the slight hick up and I must say they are both looking lovely now :grin: . John and I have been to a small old fashioned foundry today, very, very interesting place and ran by two smashing lads that are both very skilled and very helpful. John will have some video of it up on Sunday night.
Keep up the good work, they are looking great Stanley
Cheers Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Mick... we are getting close. I need the base plates! I think you can start planning for Late July/August delivery..... I need to get them on their bases before you come.... Just been looking back and we made the decision to do the two engines for Sarah and Debs in January...... 6 months in the making up to now, time flies when you're enjoying yourself!
Later at 10:45. I've just popped in to confess that other matters got in the way and I never got in the shed. Sorry kids, I'll do better after tomorrow is out of the way!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Got all my Friday jobs done and in the shed at 8AM. Here's the wicket, the task is to get Deborah's engine to the same stage as Sarah's. Not finished state but ready to steam.

You saw the pics on Wednesday. Exactly the same steps. Get the orientation of the rod right, measure for and mark the holes. Drill them and relieve the rod under the milling machine so that the nuts can turn. Then fix the rod on the brass, the holes were dead on for the studs, and then mill the foot to the shape of the brass. Here it is fitted and finished. Next job is the valve rod.

Knocking off time. I know I need another half an inch on this rod. I've found the 3/16" stock and I'm ready to make the rod. That's for tomorrow,,,,
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It didn't take long this morning to make the new valve rod, install it, check that it was OK and lace debs engine up again. I tried the flywheel on and it fouls the surface so I need to make a temporary bed for each of them and mail Mick.... I need the base plates.

I considered the things I could do to the engines at this stage and decided that I need the temporary bases on before I do anything else.... I needed to sharpen cutters and have a good chip chase so that's what I did, cleared the bench up and knocked off half an hour early.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I almost allowed myself to be diverted into displacement activity, I have a dripping tap and half started to do something about it but then I pulled myself together and went in the shed. As you can see the engines are nearly finished and at this point I start subconsciously putting that off because if I crash on I'll have no project! Anyway, I made two temporary bases for them so that the flywheel can be fitted. Then I did a bit of thinking and decided that the next job was to fit the valves and exhausts.

This meant a lot of rooting in treasure chests to see what pipe fittings I have and what needs to be made. Then I had to double check sizes and threads and get my tackle ready. I think we're ready for some pipe fitting now.... That's for tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I knew exactly what I was doing this morning and had got all my tackle ready. I was going to clean the BSP thread on two sleeves and put a 1/2"x26tpi thread on the end. However, I soon found there was something wrong, the valve didn't fit the thread! So, a lot more measuring and checking. At first I couldn't understand it but then I realised that the thread was Model Engineer, I don't use it very often but I have a full set of taps and dies....

So, a rethink and a fresh start. I decided to make the two sleeves I wanted from scratch out of a stub of 1/2" brass bar.

The first adapter I made surprised me because once more, the 3/8" x 32tpi thread was too slack! So I started again but didn't push the tap any further in than the first two threads of the full size taper tap. That cured it, the valves are now a nice fit and will seal well.

Once I had it sussed it wasn't long before I had both stop valves at the stage where I was sure of the mounting on the cylinder, not sealed or tightened, that comes later.

I used the last bit of the 1/2" stub to make the exhaust for this cylinder. I'll decide whether to thread the connection later.

I have another stub of brass, a bit oversize but I can soon make another exhaust pipe tomorrow.... Interesting morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

First job was to make this stub into a piece of pipe with a 3/8" bore , thread it 1/2" x 26tpi at one end and 1/4" BSP at the other. This for the exhaust on the other engine. I put 1/4" BSP thread on the other exhaust pipe as well.

Both engines have stop valve and exhaust fitted but only finger tight. I'm not touching the drains yet, I don't anticipate any big problem there.... What I addressed next was sorting out a workmanlike solution to getting air into the stop valve from the compressor. I found a washing machine hose 3/8" bore and rated at 10bar, near enough 150psi so perfectly adequate. I wanted a valve in the line and decided to use my air gun with the nozzle taken off. This is a 1/8"BSP connection. I had a small piece of the stub I made the exhaust pipe out of so waste not want not, I bored this 1/4" and made it into an adaptor that screws into the air gun. I have a union that fits the stop valve so I gave that a piece of 3/8" copper pipe as a connection.

Into another treasure chest to find two small jubilee clips and lace the connector up.

Close of play. I have a connector. I think the next job is to sort the flywheels out. I'll take a view on that tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I decided that it would be better to fit the drain valves before the flywheels go on so cracked on with that straight away.

While I was at it I did the final fix on the stop valves and exhaust pipes.

On to fitting flywheels.... First one was fine but then I got into big trouble. The one on Sarah's engine was too tight a fit. I tried using this big cramp but it was too hard.

I had to resort to this puller to get it off.

After half an hour working on the shaft and bore with emery cloth I had another go. Better but even so it tightened up at this and I am not satisfied with it. It was closing time. I shall think about it and decide what to do tomorrow when I am fresh. It would do like this of course but I don't like it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The first thing this morning was to correct the mistake I made yesterday when I skimped on the fitting and finished up with my flywheel on this engine fast as a thief and not on the shaft far enough. The situation made worse by the fact it was glued with shaft lock.... As you can see I have a good Sykes Pickavant puller. I have another bigger set as well that will go up to a 30 ton pull so no problem about the tackle. I was expecting to have to warm the flywheel to destroy the adhesion of the shaft lock.....

There is a providence that looks after drunken men and idiots.... It was working well this morning, the wheel was tight but gave up its grip when I got serious with the puller. Ten minutes later the flywheel is off and I can address the matter of cleaning the shaft and reducing the diameter with emery tape. You can't beat having the tackle! I cringe to think of the damage I could have done but everything is OK.

Half an hour later, after some careful work, the wheel is back on the shaft locked with shaft lock and in the right position. Onward and upward!

I drove the cotter in the crosshead pin tight, cut the excess off and ground the stub flush with the collar with the Dremel grinder. Then I took the lid off the steam chest and started the job of setting the valve. Don't worry about the timing of the eccentric, the first stage is to adjust the length of the valve rod until the stroke of the valve is equidistant at each end of the stroke. Make sure you only turn the engine in the direction it will be running when you do this. Once you are satisfied you have this right, drive the cotter in the clevis pin home tight and cut the excess off, then grind flat. Now you can loosen the eccentric and adjust its position until the appropriate steam port is starting to open as the crank passes centre. Best if it starts to open just before you pass the centre as this gives you a bit of lead and a cushion of compression as the piston reaches the end of its stroke.

The eccentric is locked and the steam chest lid is back on but without sealer at this point and with only two nuts. It will be plenty steam tight enough to run if you have made it properly.

By just after 09:30 I had both engines ready for the magic moment of putting some steam (compressed air) on and hopefully having the magic moment when the inanimate lumps of metal you have been working on for six months burst into life. That's for tomorrow.... Then we'll see if I got the valves right! (I think we'll be all right, I shan't lose any sleep tonight.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Quality work Stanley, I am glad the flywheel did not become a major hassle at this late stage too. They are looking fantastic and tomorrow will be a good day for you.............. Full steam ahead captain :grin:
Cheers Mick
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Full of admiration Stanley.

It's been fascinating watching magic being performed!
Invernahaille
Donor

Post by Invernahaille »

Stanley,
Are you going to post a live clip of them running?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Robert, Mick is coming down on Wednesday next week and He could bring his camera down and do some footage to post on video. I have been thinking and it will make a lot more sense if Mick takes the engines back North with him that day and fits the wooden bases himself because it dawned on me yesterday that the way he is going to make them with an inch overhang they could foul the bottom of the flywheel. I've mailed them so they should be reading this. Unless something goes very wrong they will be ready by then. They can make them pretty by painting them as well if they want. I don't do pretty! I do running!
Thanks for the comments, glad you enjoyed the ride......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not exactly what you wanted to see this morning! Sorry kids but Friday morning always gets whittled down by domestic matters and today is no exception. This tap has been nagging me for weeks.... I hate it when they drip. (See Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' by Robert M Pirsig for an exploration of the significance of dripping taps....) This mixer unit is buggered but I am determined to do my best to make it last me out..... I attacked it this morning and am happy to report that once again I got away with it! It is no longer dripping.
Normal service will be resumed tomorrow.....
By the way, family matters have overtaken Mick and it will probably be later in the month when he comes down from the North, after my week teaching at Keele.... So no immediate rush...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You might wonder why I started this morning by getting the butane blowlamp out.... Dead simple, when I looked at the stop valves I had mounted them both the wrong way round with pressure on the top end and the gland when they were closed so I had to reverse them. To do that I had to take the exhaust pipes off so the valve would spin round on its thread. Problem is I'd put a drop of shaft lock on the threads so I had to warm the pipes before I tried to get them out. Soon done and I'll spin the pipes up in the lathe to get rid of the grip marks I have left on them....

Sarah's engine set up for trying out. I didn't bother putting the exhaust pipe back on. The only thing that was worrying me was the restricted steam passage in the small stop valves. At this point the lid of the steam chest is not sealed and only held by two nuts

I needn't have worried, even though it was tight the engine went like hell and soon loosened up. 50psi is plenty, at 100psi it's frightening! Steam chest lid leaking a touch.

I ran deb's engine just the same as Sarah's with the same result so I sealed the lid and put all the nuts on. I forgot to do the pic and turned it round so we have a partial selfie....

I remembered with Sarah's engine. Loctite plastic gasket. Don't bother about paper gaskets, you don't need them if you've done half a job on finishing the faces.

All the nuts back on Sarah's lid and ready for another run....

Sorry it's blurred I was doing three things at once. This is Sarah's engine still running fast enough to be blurred on 10psi. Both engines run better with the lid sealed and are rapidly freeing up. No tight spots and a very even beat to the exhaust. I think I got them right..... Two engines that run, magic!!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

:grin: :thumbsup3: :mexwave:
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Magic. Just wonderful. I couldn't believe it when you said you weren't going to try them out until tomorrow. I would have been itching to get them going after spending 6 months getting to that stage. Well done and thanks for sharing this project with us. Graham
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Magic - I agree. That's a really remarkable achievement - and a well done to the Design Committee too. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks lads.... I think the ladies will be pleased. What pleased me was that I got the valve setting right first time and they run well. Quiet finishing touches today I think.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Crafts”