SHED MATTERS 2

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: SHED MATTERS 2

Post by Stanley »

Friday morning is always busy so I only managed just over an hour. I started by fine tuning my set up. More fiddly then I thought but I kept at it. I need an experienced user to guide me I think!

Eventually I got there and gave it a test. Best yet! Lovely chips and it cuts as though the steel was butter. Frustrating at times but on the whole a success....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No need for pics today, once you've seen a set up you don't need to see it again. I sharpened and tested three cutters this morning, it would have been five but I had one that was so bad I had to go round it three times. I keep saying that this is a learning curve and one thing I have realised is that the method I am using at the moment is fine for the cutters with larger and fewer teeth but I need to make a different set up for small numerous teeth, things like slitting saws. So I am going to concentrate on the suitable cutters and then have an alteration. The plan is still to sharpen most of the cutters. Not withstanding the problems, another good morning and I have enjoyed it.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I'm looking for a no8 self tapping screw (about 1 inch long) with a very small head on it (very slightly bigger than the thread). Stanley, you wouldn't happen to have something lurking in your 'box of tricks'? My other option is to grind down the head on a 'standard' no8. I'm open to suggestions :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Just a suggestion; put the screw in the chuck of your electric drill and "turn" the head down on a stone block.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sounds like a plan :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If you're stuck Kev just call round. I am sure I can fit you up one way or another. China's idea is good.....
08:45. The bad news kids is that cleaning, washing and cooking have robbed me of any reasonable time for the shed so I shall be AWOL until tomorrow.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Cheers for the offer. China's idea is looking like the way to go, I may have to use a flat file instead of a stone. We'll see how that goes.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It will work and it was a good suggestion...... But regard me as a backstop!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm very lucky, I have a simple mind and I was looking forward to this, my pile of cutters needing attention. I have made up my mind to concentrate on the cutters with the larger teeth and then go on to a different setup for the others. So I just got stuck in.....

This is still the criterion, can I make proper splinter shaped chips..... This was the first one I did this morning, I'd say it was OK.

A few cutters later.... I had almost decided to ditch this one as it was so badly corroded, cutting edges and all. But I popped it in the grinder, took a healthy grind to get down to the metal and it turned out to be a good cutter.

This was where I ended up with the grinding. I think I did eight cutters this morning and tested them all. Some of the cutters looked good so I tested a couple and they were OK so they got added to the box as well. It's not a fast process but I am getting through the cutters. Another good morning!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 25 Dec 2017, 04:41 It will work and it was a good suggestion...... But regard me as a backstop!
:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

1 flat file, 1 drill and 2 self-tapping screws. Job sorted, good plan China, cheers.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

OG is quite wonderful.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think you might have noticed that I was AWOL yesterday.... Far too busy enjoying my daughter! But I have my nose to the grindstone (literally!) this morning. The first thing I did was sharpen the last cutter I set up yesterday and tested it. Another sharp cutter! But then I had to get my act together because I am going on to a completely different setup this morning.....

The first thing to do was some measuring and instruction reading. The method I am going on to can't be suck it and see, I have to stick to the rules and go by the book! I have all the rules in my T&G manual. No excuses!

Then I sorted the cutters out by diameter because once I have the relationship of the grinding wheel and the mandrel set up, the parameter that shifts is the diameter of the cutter, the number of teeth doesn't matter.

The main changes are that I need a different wheel on and a different tooth stop. All I'm bothered about at the moment is some careful measuring to make sure the centre of the grinding wheel is 3/16" above the centre of the mandrel. Of course the table has to be turned through exactly 90 degrees, easy because the turntable has registers on it.

Quite a long time later! I have a set up and have checked everything three times! I am starting with the smallest cutters..... Biggest job was getting the tooth stop right.

This is the first of two identical cutters that I managed to sharpen this morning. I know.... it's not very impressive but the care paid off. Both of them are making good milling chips and running cool. That'll do me. I set the next cutter, slightly larger, up ready for tomorrow and knocked off. Just one more small matter....

You might wonder what's going on here. I think I must be a bit slow. The spanner that's hanging up is the one that fits the nuts on my work holding tackle. It has always lived on the shelf with the spacers etc but due to the fact that the mill is touching the shelf it vibrates it and the spanner has fallen off three time in the last few days. I decided that a major modification was needed. That's why it is now hung on a screw! All round, a productive morning. I might be a bit quicker tomorrow!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started the day with the next four easy cutters. The key to the setup is getting the height of the tooth you are sharpening exactly on centre with the mandrel. That's 3 3/16" above the level of the table. I realised that where I was losing the time was in measuring the height by adjusting the tooth rest and this is different with every cutter. I started by using the square which would have worked fine if there had been room for it! So I made a gauge, I turned a piece of stainless steel 1/2" thick and made it exactly the right length. This was an improvement but is going to be limited when I get on to larger diameter cutters. I'm thinking about it and I'll address that challenge when I need to. For the time being I'll bugger on with the rod!

I finished the easy ones and tested them, all OK. Then I moved on to the next one which is this slitting saw with a lot of fine teeth. This is the biggest challenge I have had yet and I spent a long time getting it set up. It ain't easy!!

Big sigh of relief! I got it right and it's making good chips. In case you're wondering, I only need to take a light cut to find out if the teeth are making a proper chip, no point making deep cuts, it's only the cutting edge that matters!

While the slitting saw was making its cut on auto feed I started to set up the next cutter. This one is going to be easy after the last one! Good morning. Lots of fiddling and learning but I am slowly getting there. I've got the basics right now, all I need to do now is make the height setting of the tooth foolproof!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As I said yesterday, I've been thinking about making a height gauge and I think I had a fairly good idea. I didn't need to make anything, I had the perfect tool laid on the bench! I think you can see what I did.....

Here's how I did it. I got the centre height from the source, the centre for the mandrel. I scored the measurement all round the base of the square. It's not going to harm the square at all and will always be handy.

I put it straight into action and rattled through about 6 very difficult cutters. They were all small diameter slitting saws with very small teeth. All tested and cutting OK.

The stock of sharpened and tested cutters is growing steadily. I'm not wasting my time!

Here's the next one ready for tomorrow.
Two things I have been meaning to say. It's quite instructive following whoever sharpened these cutters last. A few of them are concentric and sharpened to the correct angle but most of them are not. One wonders if this is why they survived in such good condition and ended up in a scrap yard. They were impossible to use!
Another thing.... I was reminded of something while watching Keith Rucker using a horizontal mill that I have known for a long time but it's worth repeating for anyone who doesn't know it. Never tighten the nut on the mandrel end that applies pressure to the cutter without putting the end support on the arm of the mill and tightening it up. More mandrels are bent by forgetting this than anything else. So just use your fingers until you have the support on. Then you can give the nut some wellie!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I may not get in the shed today, I have an obituary to write. Sorry lads!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Despite writing my article I got in the shed at about 8AM and did some good work. I did this pic to show how the heap was shrinking and was mulling over whether this small slitting saw was worth any effort. In the end I decided it was worth a try. It cuts, but not well, it is to far gone but it will be OK for non-ferocious..... It was the last of the 3" diameter cutters and so I wanted it out of the way because tomorrow I move on to the next size up.

The box of sharpened cutters is getting quite well populated now. Not a full morning but well worth the effort! I find it's very satisfying getting a proper edge on all of them, I'm not saying it's the most enjoyable job in the world but it's been a good learning curve up to now. I have lots more to learn but I feel I have cracked the basics of sharpening these cutters. Much more to it than end mills and slot drills for the VM.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry I was AWOL yesterday. Someone has to do the cooking and washing! I started the New Year as I mean to go on, I was in the shed by 7AM. This is the pile of cutters yet to be addressed. This morning I move on to 4" cutters and so a bit of thought was indicated.

I decided it would be a good thing to have a full check of my setup. I started by reading the tables again and making sure I had the right figures. That was OK so I applied them to the setup. The main thing I had to check was to make sure that the centre of the grinding spindle was 3/16" above the centre of the the mandrel. It was spot on so I could crack on with the 4" cutters once I had checked that the height of each cutter tooth was on centre, different sizes of teeth need different settings.

This first cutter had small teeth and the ones next in the queue were larger so this is a good example of the necessity to check carefully. I tested this one then altered the setup for the the next group that have larger teeth, ground that one and checked it was a good cut and then cracked on without checking the subsequent ones because I knew they were all correct. So I got on well and was knocking cutters off at a good rate until just after 9AM when the motor on the T&C grinder shrieked at me. It's a totally enclosed 2HP Hoover motor and one thing I have always known is that they run hot. I checked and it was too hot to touch. There's no way of lubricating the bearings, they are sealed so I decided to knock off. It's all right getting on with the cutters and raising productivity but there is a price to pay. Hopefully tomorrow it will have cured itself. If all else fails, I have a spare motor for it!

The pile on the left is the 4" cutters I have done this morning, not a bad day's work!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Happy New Year Stanley :smile:
It looks like you have got the sharpening of cutters sussed out now, your sharp pile is looking good.
Hope 2018 will be a fantastic year in the shed for you.
Cheers Mick.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Hello Mick - how's your project of the Tommy statue coming along?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same to you Mick. Never mind Tommy, did you make the plinths for the engines?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got in the shed shortly after 07:00 and started sharpening a cutter hoping that the shriek I had yesterday out of the motor was simply overheating. No such luck! It did it again straight away. No getting past it, I had a problem. I didn't despair, I have a spare motor if it is needed but before I did anything I had to get the grinder out into the shed so I can get at the motor.

There are many advantages in having a small shed.... it cuts down on wasted effort but when you have to do something like this I freely admit it's a bugger! You wouldn't believe the amount of stuff I had to shift before I could even get started and of course wherever I put it it's going to be under the feet.

It took over an hour to get to this stage. All the clutter shifted, a good clean up, you'd be amazed how milling chips build up! Then I had to get the grinder raised up enough to get a couple of rollers under it. Once I got to this stage it was relatively easy to get it moved out. Than off with the guard and the driving belt and have a look at the rabbit!

All right, the clever buggers amongst you have got the picture. When I got the grinder out far enough to get a shufti at the back, lo and behold there was a nipple on either end. Then the question arose, was it (as I suspected) just lack of oil? Only one way to find out. I oiled both bearings, not too much but what I thought was enough, and then switched on. It ran a lot better so I put the belt back on and tried it again. Same result so I decided to put the guard back on and give it another run. All seemed well and I think it's quieter so I decided to chance it and put everything back in place. Not as easy as it sounds but quietly away.....

Then the acid test, I set the next cutter up and sharpened it. The motor shrieked once at me and my heart sank into my boots but I stopped it, restarted and that was the last I heard from it. I think the motor had to get warm so the oil could circulate. I decided that instead of going at the job like a silly bugger I would go back to testing each cutter after sharpening. Easier on me and it gives the motor time to cool down when I get into the swing. As it is it has only got slightly warm after four cutters.

One thing at least went well, the cutter works beautifully and makes good cool chips.

I did four cutters and set the next one up. It took me two hours to get the grinder out, lubricated and back in place so I only had about 45 minutes actual grinding. But I think I've done a good job. Everything is cleaner and touch wood, I have solved my little problem! A tiring morning but good work I think..... I look forward to tomorrow. (It's nice to sit down! Things get harder as you get older!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

"Never mind Tommy, did you make the plinths for the engines?

Never mind the plinths - how's Tommy doing? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I'm with Trips here. Plus any of the other 'work in progress' that may have been finished. Fascinating stuff Mick.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When I dragged the grinder out yesterday and had to move all that stuff I wondered whether the crystal out of the dial calliper that went AWOL a while ago would turn up. No luck but I was reminded of something else. If you look at the first pic there is a big tin of 'Kasenit'. This is for case hardening steel in the fire. I had forgotten I had it! One thing is certain, I shall never run out of it!
Yes, I want to know about Tommy but also the plinths!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Crafts”