Shed Matters 3

Magnu420

Re: Shed Matters 3

Post by Magnu420 »

Hi stanley i hope you recovering ok but can i ask you something, ive been given a fobco star pillar drill ( the extended mt1 spindle type ) just wondering what is the best way off cleaning the inside of the morse taper socket ( it dont hold the mt drill chuck properly ) I did think about using a bit of fine emery cloth on a slotted dowel then i got told i be better of using a morse taper finishing reamer ( this is specialy for morse tapers ) I dont have a mt reamer do you have one that i could borrow for a couple of hours The mt is a number 1 mt If not do you know where i can get one from ive tried at rdg tools at hebdon bridge but they only have a mt2 finishing reamer Thanks
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry, I don't have a number one MT reamer. Try lapping it with coarse then finer grinding/lapping paste on a drill shank. It will be slow but with patience you will get there. Keep changing the drill you are using so you get an average of the fit.
I ordered a piece of wood for the base of the engine yesterday and will pick it up later today. We are moving forward again, albeit it slowly!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later.... I went for my timber but they hadn't cut it. I asked nicely and waited. I have a nice piece of mahogany type wood. I shall look it over tomorrow!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I haven't died Lads! It's just that things are very busy on the medical front and I am not doing anything silly. I am feeling fine actually and I shall return!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The verdict is cancer and I wait now for further investigations but the urge to get back in the shed and make progress is there! Today is of course always a busy day shopping but the spirit is willing. Hang in there.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Despite having household tasks to do I have finally got into the shed for an hour. It won't surprise you to see that the first thing I did was clean Mrs Harrison, oil the ways and vacuum the floor.

I'm not being too ambitious. What I want to do is put a nice moulding cut round the wooden base so I went into one of the treasure chests and got my spindle moulder out. I have to admit this tool frightens me to death. I don't know if you have used one but they are very high speed, sudden and it's so easy to make a horrible mess! I girded my loins and got stuck in!

It all went well and after a light sanding of the sharp edges we have a nice little base board. I parked the engine further down the shed, got some newspaper out and went looking for a small brush and my pot of Maple finish stain varnish.

Knocking off time after a productive hour. The baseboard is varnished and drying, my brush is cleaned and put away and the paint is back in the cupboard. The varnish should be dry tomorrow and I can get on with fixing the engine to the bed and putting the finishing touches to an almost completed engine.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Magnu420

Post by Magnu420 »

Omg ..what terrible news you been given stanley im so sorry i dont know what to say

I lost my brother to this dreadfull desease 8 years ago and he was only 50

So sorry im lost for words
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Don't be, it's not a death sentence. Something has to get you eventually and at 82 I am statistically a survivor!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started the day by giving the varnished baseboard a light sanding and cutting a sheet of rubber that will go on the bottom of the base to protect whatever surface it is sat on in the house. (I'm lucky enough to have a roll of this in one of the treasure chests.....)

The engine screwed down onto the baseboard with three 1" No 6 brass round headed screws and glued to the rubber protective sheet.

I've trimmed the excess off the rubber sheet and tried the flywheel on the shaft. Looking good isn't it..... But all is not as it seems! Don't ask me how it's come about but the bore of the flywheel is far too big for the shaft. Bit of a bummer and obviously a mistake on my part. The remedy is to bore it out even bigger, bush it and rebore it to the correct size. That's for tomorrow..... I have other fish to fry today. By the way, I'm going to mount a gear on the other side to make the engine a bit more interesting, be sure I'll make sure it's bored the right size..... (can't think how I did that.....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today's job is making this bore smaller! So it has to be bushed and rebored to fit the shaft on the engine. I started off with doing some very precise measurements, it's going to fit this time!

Into the scrap box for a piece of stock to make the bush. I shall make it and bore the flywheel to fit it.

Here's the bush, finished and a light chamfer on each end. Now we bore the flywheel to a thou less than this.

I took the meat out with drills until I was up to 7/8" which leaves a bit to bore out.

This is just a reminder of the simple tool I made for testing the grind on big drills to make sure they are even. Works like a charm but in this case failed me because the drill is bent! All my drills are old second-hand ones and I mustn't have used this before. Luckily it didn't bore too far oversize!

Knocking off time, the bore just needs a skim to get the right fit. That's for tomorrow, I don't want to rush it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Out with the boring bar, hone the edge of the cutter and start cleaning the bore up and making it a nice light interference fit with the bush. I crept up on it.

I just want to make a point here. I know that my old Brown and Sharpe micrometer is slightly out of calibration but if you are making something to fit in another this is no matter because the aberration is the same for both parts. You can do just as good a job as if you had the most perfect micrometer in the world....

As I said, I crept up on it and made the bore a light interference fit on the bush. I gave it a good clean with brake cleaner and put some Loctite 638 on it. It fitted half way finger tight but had to be persuaded with a hammer to seat home fully. Just right. It can sit there setting now, I have another fish to fry.

I want to fit a gear on the other end of the crankshaft to give the engine a bit more interest. I have plenty of spare lathe change wheels about my person so I picked out a 45 tooth one that looked handy. It needs cleaning up and boring.

A bit of simple facing cleaned both sides up.

I bored the centre out until I had got rid of the 1/8" keyway. Next job was to clean the face of the teeth and put a chamfer on each side. It wouldn't quite fit on the nose of the three jaw on Mrs Harrison but no such problem on Johnny's lathe in the front room. As always, a pleasure to use the lathe. I cleaned up the periphery of the teeth and chamfered them.

Here we are at closing time after a nice 90 minutes in the shed. All it needs now is a good wire brushing of the teeth to get the muck out of them and then a good measure up and make a bush. Nice morning, all has gone well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

First job was to wire brush the teeth of the gear, clean it and do a very careful measurement of the bore.

Then find a scrap end of MS and make a bush. Half way through this I noted that my cross slide was loose and it was affecting accuracy. Can you remember me stripping it and cleaning it a while since? I called a halt and tightened it up and while I was at it lubricated all my nipples. Then on with the turning and it was much better. I hit my target spot on.

A light interference fit and some Loctite 638. This can sit until tomorrow now and cure properly.

Clean the chuck, swap the jaws and set the flywheel up for facing the bush at each end. You can hardly see the join.

I didn't trust my previous measurement of the shaft, I measured it again, Same reading but better safe than sorry, it's .622" so I am starting by drilling up to 9/16".

Knocking off time. I double checked with a 9/16" standard. The drill has gone slightly oversize but it's OK, it's inside the finished size. I need to set up a smaller boring bar and take it to the correct size this time!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nothing to do with the engine.... This well made and heavy screen support was abandoned at the top of the street. If nothing else it needs recycling but there could be a useful bracket in there.

We need a smaller boring bar so I honed the cutter in this one and set it at centre height.

A bit later after some very careful cutting and measuring, we have a bore that is a light interference on the flywheel shaft. That's better!

Now we need to address the gear. The bush has set and the first job was to face each side of it.

Knocking off time after just short of an hour and a half in the shed. I am ready to start drilling up to 9/16" ready for boring. I shall address this tomorrow. A nice morning of quiet careful work that has gone well. I like mornings like this!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 10:06 Image
Nothing to do with the engine.... This well made and heavy screen support was abandoned at the top of the street. If nothing else it needs recycling but there could be a useful bracket in there.
It's for the 'old' CRT TV/Monitors no one wants them anymore but, as you say, there's a useful bracket there :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hadn't realised that Kev. Thanks.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I drilled the bore out to 9/16" and then set to with the boring bar.

I was careful and crept up on it and here's the result. Both bores a light interference fit on the respective ends of the shaft. Ready for installing on the engine.

I decided I wasn't going to rush into fitting them. I put tools away and cleaned Mrs Harrison. That always makes me feel better.

Here's the job for tomorrow. Fitting the gear and the flywheel. I have done an hour and am in no rush..... We're getting very close to an engine!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 09:08 I was careful and crept up on it and here's the result. Both bores a light interference fit on the respective ends of the shaft. Ready for installing on the engine.
Just a thought, were the bores different diameters? Is that where you slipped up by measuring the wrong end of the shaft for the flywheel?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes Graham, slightly different but the flywheel fitted neither. It was simply a stupid mistake caused by relying on an old measurement before finishing instead of checking the size before boring. Entirely my mistake but these things happen and what matters is how you deal with them.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

:thumbsup3:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I started the morning by finding a slug of metal in the scrap pile with a handy recess in it and making it into a perfect dolly for persuading the gear and the flywheel if they need it. All I have to do now is fit the gear and the flywheel which have been very carefully bored to be a light interference fit on their respective shafts. The Gear was fine, nice fit, bit of Loctite 638 and on it went with no problems at all. The flywheel started well......

But hang on! What's happening here? The answer is a major cock-up. The flywheel was a slightly heavier interference fit on the shaft. I got it started and all was going well until it locked up. I think their was a slight variation in the shaft diameter and I had cleaned it so well that the Loctite started to grip. I couldn't persuade it to go on. Only one thing to do, get a puller on it and pull it off for a fresh start. Loctite is good stuff! It was fast as a thief and even though I had it solid in the vice, it wasn't coming. Only one thing to do, get some heat in it.... That solved the problem and I got it off OK. Big sigh of relief mixed with frustration. That was it for the morning.....

But then I realised that not only had I broken the Loctite hold on the shaft but in the bush as well! No problem, just a bit more work but then I realised that the heat had transmitted through the crankshaft and the gear was loose as well! In other words, I have had a completely wasted morning and will have to put it all right over the next few days..... Definitely not my finest hour!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today's job is to clear up after yesterday's disaster....

The engine was still in the vice so the first job was to inspect it to see if the terrible treatment it had yesterday had damaged anything. The answer to that was no, it was turning over just fine. Then a bit of luck, I found that the gear had healed itself up and was firm on the shaft so I left it alone. I polished the shaft end where the flywheel is to go with emery strip and once I had a good finish on it I took the engine out of the vice and put it on the small surface plate. So far so good.....

Next job was to release the gear puller from the bush. I set it up in the vice got a suitable drift and gave it some welly with a 4lb hammer. I noted that I wasn't moving it out of the bush so I stepped up a gear.

I gave it a dose of heat and tried again. Still no movement!

I tried a different approach. I took the legs off the puller as they were in the way and drove the bush out the opposite way. That's better! I set the flywheel up in the vice so I could cut the bush off the threaded shaft of the puller, it's scrap now.

Then the light dawned.... I thought there was a good chance that the hardened thread of the puller had screwed itself into the bush. No harm in trying so I got a pair of Stillsons out and it screwed off.

This is progress! I tidied up, put the legs back on the puller and put it and some tackle away and addressed the saving of the flywheel.

Into Mrs Harrison and I got set up for refurbishing the wheel.

The bruises skimmed out and this side of the wheel finished and polished.

The other side was the worst but as you can see I brought it back from the dead and cleaned the bore. I shall take a very light skim of the bore tomorrow to make sure it has no surprises in it, then measure and make another bush. You can be sure I will not fit it as close, always my downfall! Will I ever learn?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Good that you can tell us of the bad days as well as the good.

"If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same"

When the going gets tough - the tough get going . . . .

Courage mon brave! :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks David. The basic reason for this topic is to help others and if I don't tell the truth I am short changing them. We all make mistakes, the point is to retrieve the situation and get the right result in the end. Just as interesting as boring correctness all the time!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Aye, the bloke that never made a mistake never did anything. :extrawink:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 13:17 Just as interesting as boring correctness all the time!
There's more than one meaning to that phrase. :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday

Return to “Crafts”