SHED MATTERS. MARINE ENGINES.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: SHED MATTERS. MARINE ENGINES.

Post by Stanley »

First job was to alter the settings on the tool and cutter grinder and grind the milling cutter with less cutting angle, back the cutting edge off. Not perfect but a lot better. I could have made it perfect by backing the lead angle off as well for brass-cutting but that would have meant adjusting it again for steel. I'm not after finish at this point, just a plane surface.
First job was to clean up the hole by drilling 1". The two jaw came into its own. Centred the hole using the centre in the tail stock and then poked the drill through. It will eventually have to be bored out another eighth of an inch for fitting.
Bleeding obvious tip. Back the cutting rake of the drill off to almost negative rake for drilling brass. If you don't and the drill is sharp it will grab and pull the drill out of the taper. All cutting tools for brass should be almost negative rake.
Close of play. Next job is to mill the outside curves on the strap to get a size and a finish. Bit of measuring needed then I'll have to make a set up for the rotary table......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Never got in the shed yesterday, too many domestic tasks. Mind you my mind has been at work on set-up for milling the curves.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Good Morning Stanley, looks like you are making good progress in the shed. I am taking the dogs out then plan to do some more work on my Harrison lathe, do you have any tips on including photos with my posts ? Cheers Mick
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Mick, have a look at this thread which may be a useful read:

Images Tips and Tricks

Photographs are always welcome and the new site makes it a lot easier to upload and handle your images. Upload them into a suitable category in the Gallery.

The little icon that looks like the picture of a mountain on the lower bar of the editor header is for inserting images in your posts. If you point at the icons the site software will indicate what they all do.

Post if you get stuck
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Mick, Panbiker has given you the link to a thread on posting pics - I would just add that there is more than one way to do it. Play around with the methods to find what works for you. The first stage is always the same - go to the gallery and post the pic there, that puts it on the forum's server. The second stage is to insert it into your post using the `address' obtained as described in Panbiker's link. This is where there is more than one way, giving slightly different results. It's easy to try out inserting into a post - put the `address' in the post then click `Preview' and see what it looks like. If it's wrong just try a different way, then Preview again. Once you are ready, click submit. Even then you can always Edit your post in retrospect. Enjoy the forum!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Thanks for the advice , Panbiker and Tizer, I will have an go and see what happens, I am not too up on the more technical side of computing but once I find a way that works for me that should be it cracked. I am new to this whole posting business, I live in Newcastle and have similar interests to Stanley, found the site because of his shed culture posts. My mate lives in Burnley so I called in and met Stanley and had a tour of his shed on route to my mates. I was very impressed with both Stanley and his shed, not to mention Jack his terrier. So I intend to do some posts of things I make in my shed and hopefully they will be of interest to some people.
Thanks Mick.
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Well lets see if this works for an image ! not sure what size this will be or if anything will actually appear !, if it does its an image of some mallets I made useing both the woodturning and metal turning lathes. There are two different size woodcarving mallets with ligum vitea heads / ash shafts, two brass stone carving mallets with ash shafts and a ebony hammer shaft for an old metalworkers repousse hammer head I have had for years, I have made the shaft to the old style that most suits the old head.
Mick.693
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It looks like you have cracked uploading to the gallery Mick and also that you have copied the Image-BBcode which will give you the thumb nail view as in your post above.

If you copy the Image-URL string and use this instead it will insert the full sized image as below:

Nice work by the way!
Ian
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Cheers Ian , I think I can remember what I did and will try with the other url now :wink: [url=http://oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/gallery/image.php?album
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Doh ! , not sure what I did different, I will try again in the morning as tired and eyes stinging now. Mick
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Its the string from the top box that you need Mick.

Paste this into the insert image box to get the full sized picture
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mick, just to expand on that, find your pic in the gallery and left click on it to get the full size image..... Right click on the image and then left click on 'copy image location'. Navigate back to your reply box by right clicking on the direction arrows at the top left of the screen next to the site address. Than left click on the 'insert image' box and paste the image location into the image location box. Right click on insert image and the URL will appear in the post. The image will not appear until you submit the post.
One comment, when I make a mallet like this I drill the hole blind for the handle, cut the end for the wedge and make the wedge the right size (a bit of guesswork here) Drive the handle and the wedge in and if you got the wedge right it's locked for ever, if you didn't you can pull the handle out and make the wedge a bit bigger. I always think the head looks better if the wedge is hidden. It's a personal thing, not a criticism.
Post as much as you like, this is an open forum and it bothers me that people seem to think it's my topic. The more the merrier! (nice mallets!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I wanted some nice accurate curves on the bottom of the eccentrics. A masochist would have filed them by hand but I'm lazy! I spent some time turning up a jig and washer that would hold the casting firmly on the rotary table, The collection of 3/8" socket cap screws came in handy again.... Set the centre of the table central under the milling chuck and lock it on the back to front axis, all the cutting will be done on the traverse and will be concentric with the centre of the strap as long as your jig is accurate. Pop a little cutter in and spend an hour making some muck.
Close of play. A nice curve on the bottom of the straps. Much thought went on while I was cutting as to how I preserve the thickness in the parts of the strap that have to be drilled for the tightening bolts and attaching the eccentric rod but leaving room to get at the locking screw on the boss for nipping the eccentric on the shaft when adjusting with the engine built up when I'm timing the valves. I think I've decided.....
The classic way of making the straps would be to split the strap and solder the two sides together before boring the strap to size but there's nothing more disheartening than it coming apart while you're working on it and I am a lousy solderer! So I shall drill for the bolts first, then split the strap and after that bore and finish to size holding the two halves together with the bolts.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Morning Stanley , thanks for the new advice, I just tried your method and no luck, no option of copy image location on right click once image is full size ?, I tried just 'copy' and navigated back to reply that was gone ! and blank box again, should I have saved it before going to gallery I wonder. I will have a bit more experiment.
I will have to have a go at the hidden wedge method of mallet, I had heard of it but did not have a mm of wood to spare on those two so had to drill through the opposite end to the end being held in the chuck.
The eccentrics are starting to look good Stanley , I am with you on the bolting method, sounds like less to go wrong than the soldering option.
Mick.
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

If at first .................. Try , Try again ! http://oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/gallery/ ... age_id=698 Umm loks a bit like last night but Stanley did say the image wont be seen until the post is submitted ?, just incase it is there this is my Harrison lathe that is almost the same model as Stanleys, the sharp eyed will notice its not in quite as good condition :grin: but it should look more like Stanleys in the coming weeks.
Mick
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Well that did not work either, I think I need more advice lads. I seem to be able to get the images into the gallery ok , I then reply to post and get my area to type into ,I open a seperate tab/ window for the gallery as I lost the post last time I tried to get back to it from opening the gallery from my post. I am typing some text in and at the point I want my image I am then clicking the insert image icon that looks like little mountain in a box then pasting the copied image url from the gallery, but it appears to be putting the address for the image not the image. When I click the insert image no blank box or anything is appearing in my post unlike it would in say publisher , clicking the insert image icon does not seem to do anything ?
Any advice appreciated , pleae keep it as simple as you can :wink:
Thanks Mick.
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

The plot thickens ! after closing down that last post window to check E mails there was abox that had been hidden behind my posting window , it was an insert picture box with area to paste url !! so here goes again.
MickImage
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Yee Haa :grin: :laugh5:
Lets hope it lasts , the insert image box appeared as it should in front of my post there ........ Computers !!!
Anyway thats the lathe before I started doing anything to it. Mick.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

You are 99.99% there Mick. When you paste the URL in the insert image window and hit OK it only inserts the string in the post but with the correct codes to display the picture. You will not see the picture in your post until you either click the preview or submit buttons. Preview does just that, you can scroll back down to your edit window and continue editing, you can preview as many times as you like it will just update each time. Submit does what it says on the tin and inserts your post in the thread. You still have the option to go back and edit if you wish. You can edit any of your own posts at any time.

Once you have the routine off pat it becomes second nature and believe me it is a whole lot easier than on the last platform.
Ian
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Thanks again Ian, the main problem seems to have been the fact that the insert image window for some reason was out of site hidden behind my posting window, that last time it was there on top of my post so I could see it. As you say once I get it off pat should be no problem.
Thanks Mick.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes Mick if you click outside the Insert box it will go to the back. Looks like you are sorted anyway.

I assume we will be seeing an "after" or a "work in progress" to go with your last picture? I'm not an engineer but I know a mucky lathe when I see one.
Ian
micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Hi Ian , its a work in progress, that photo is from a while back so it looks better now. I have started stripping it down to do a proper job of it and intend to post photos as I go ....so watch this space as they say :wink: My day has gone to pot today so I will add more tomorrow .
Mick.
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

micktoon, not sure if you have been on the site in the link below, but lots of interesting articles regarding old machinetools etc.,
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/an ... y-history/
Cheers, bodger
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mick, Ian is right, thank your lucky stars we have the new site! You've cracked it now and in a couple of weeks you'll forget you had any problem. Don't be frightened of posting too many pics, plenty of room on the server!
While you were fighting your way in I was doing nowt, had a day off!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

micktoon
Regular User

Post by micktoon »

Morning All , I am glad I missed the old site then Stanley :grin: as you say once I have done a few more posts it will all be instinct. Thanks for that link Bodger , I have seen it and often look at the site, another good one is the Madmodders site, very similar but probably more UK people posting , I am posting about the lathe rebuild on the madmodder site too with the same name. I had wondered if it was ok to mention your Shed culture builds there Stanley ? , I think plenty of the sites viewers would love your build posts.
I will try to put another couple of photos of the lathe in its worst state then a couple after the elbow grease session :grin: Image
This is a bit closer up of the tool post, chuck etc Image
I will post at that to double check I have thing correct then upload another few images.
Mick

Return to “Crafts”