Spoons and badges

Callunna

Spoons and badges

Post by Callunna »

Wasn’t sure which section to post this - if it’s wrong please feel free to move it.

One of the things that always gets me is that over the years I’ve acquired several old items that you’d think were worth quite a bit, but in fact they’re worth next to nothing.

For example, my mum was given a silver spoon in a box by West Riding CC on the occasion of the George VI coronation in 1937. I saw an identical one on ebay for £3.99 but it didn’t even get one bid!

And I have a lapel badge of the Golden Arrow steam train - an identical one sold on ebay for £2.49.

Keep hoping one day I’ll find something that will enable me to retire in comfort! :laugh5:

What kind of things have YOU got stashed away?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spoons and badges

Post by Wendyf »

Disappointing isn't it? I had a childhood collection of the original Wade "Lady & the Tramp" figures, about 12 in all I think. You see them selling for £20 - £30 at flea markets, but I even bought a book on Wade which told me some of them were quite rare and worth £60 - £100. I took them to the auctions at Clitheroe a couple of years ago and they only made about £40 for the lot! I put a number of things into the sale that I had been hoarding away, hoping to make a fortune one day, and most of them made between £20 and £40, so I came away with nearly £400 that I didnt have before and empty cupboards. I do miss being able to get them out now & again and think "Mmm I wonder what that must be worth?".
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Good topic - In 1979, I sent for a free Denby coffee mug which comemorated the 25th anniversary of Maxwell house coffee. Many years later I snapped up another in a charity shop to make the pair up. Looks like I wasn't the only one as I just looked on ebay and there are about ten for sale at prices fro £1.50 to£5. :sad:
I wouldn't be without my Barnoldswick Urban District Council souvenir cup for King George V 's coronation from June 1911. Were they given to alll scholars? The quality is impressive, and I get a little buzz from handling something so old.
Do computers qualify for the topic? I've two desktops which cost a lot, but I can't bring myself to chuck them out. I doubt you could even give them away now.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Auctions are a wholesale venue , where most people are looking to pay only trade prices ( or less ) , but if collectors do turn up it can push the price up a bit. At the same time they are a quickish way to turn items into cash, without having to go round every dealer or trying to find an end buyer.
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

I’ve also got a beautiful baccy box given to my great uncle in WWI by the Queen (Mary?). Polished brass by the look of it. Worth a pittance, apparently. I’d never sell it though, so I suppose it’s irrelevant.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I live in a museum. I listened to Grayson Perry on style recently and he'd love to spend a few hours in my house! I know that some items are valuable and have given the kids some clues so they can be alert when I die. Beyond that my attitude is the same as a man I knew who had a Stradivarius violin on his wall. When asked how much it was worth he said "Nothing. It's mine".
Value can go beyond money.

I treasure objects because of their association. This dirty little cardboard box is rubbish to anyone else but it takes me back to a sunny day in San Francisco and some very happy times so to me it's priceless. Just like the items mentioned above. I once looked into meditation and the recommendation was to have a room filled with items that had associations as this was the best place to meditate. I realised I have a house like that!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

So, in light of the fact that the Coronation spoon is worth nowt (financially) there can be no reason why I shouldn’t clean it. I can’t devalue it in any way, can I?

It’s not silver - on the back it says (in small writing so that it looks like a hallmark!) 1A MAPPIN & WEBB plus a little symbol.

Here’s a pic quickly taken on my phone:
photo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

The WW1 tin/box is probably worth at least a fiver to the right person , maybe more. The spoon is certainly interesting , although no doubt many produced , to a royal collector whom was not in the West Riding ( itself somewhat disappeared) , there may be a little extra interest. Thanks for the picture.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Cally, it may be a bit depressing that your own stuff doesn't warrant much of a price but look at it from a different perspective - you can buy all sorts of wonderful bits and pieces very cheaply now from all the charity shops and from Ebay. So instead of trying to sell your stuff go out and buy some cheap things for fun! I'm a serial collector and have had some great items from charity shops. For start, lots of interesting books, everything from modern novels to abstruse academic texts.

One point about Ebay. Just because nobody bid for an item doesn't mean there aren't people out there desperate to buy it - they just weren't looking at that time. We've all got busy lives and other things to do. Also, some people (like me) refuse to use Paypal and will only buy if it can be by cheque.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cleaning the spoon. Try rubbing it with a tissue using brown sauce or ketchup as a polish. Won't do it any harm at all.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

[Tizer] ... instead of trying to sell your stuff go out and buy some cheap things for fun!

Noooooooooooooooooooo! :laugh5: :laugh5: :laugh5:
The hoarder in our house already does that, which is why our house is getting fuller every day. I loved it when we moved into this house after living on the boat - it was a minimalist paradise. But then the stuff stored in my mum’s loft, plus extra ‘bargain’ purchases, began to creep back in...

Return to “Antiques”