Watch fob Vesta cases.

hartley353

Watch fob Vesta cases.

Post by hartley353 »

Recent ebay search uncovered these two early 1900s Vesta cases both sterling silver. The smaller plain one required a few dings removing, the ornate one is as near perfect as it could be. For both to be in such good condition suggests they have been in good ownership.
DSC_0098.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hartley353

Re: Watch fob Vesta cases.

Post by hartley353 »

This has nothing to do with watches, but I slipped it in here whilst finding my way around the new format. The postman delivered a hip flask I found on ebay. The seller described it as pewter, and requiring a good clean. He was wrong on the pewter and understated the cleaning. The last contents were probably cherry Liquour and had set into a red sticky resin. when I had removed the gum, I started on restoring the leather once I had this to a reasonable state work began on the cap. The old cork seal was removed and a new one carved to size, as I remove the old seal using a scalpel it was noted that slivers of shiny metal came away, these proved to be silver the top was silver plated. As I started work on the cup using MAAS polish, what lay under the black was again silver. This 3oz flask is a smaller version of a flask I walked away from in an Ayrshire Forest in 1979, It is like an old friend turned up, an early christmas present. The leather will require a number of treatments to restore suppleness but it will soon be ready for a tot.
DSC_0101.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hartley353

Re: Watch fob Vesta cases.

Post by hartley353 »

One more scottish find. This is a nickel plated novelty vesta case. The case has a built in sovereign holder, into which has been incorporated a stamp holder on the reverse of the lid. The vesta holder or match safe serves also as an etui and holds a Toothpick and a small propelling pencil in tubes built into it. Matches may be struck on the inbuilt striker on the case. The case has a patent mark of 4709, this was issued to Frederick William Powel in March 1887. Recent research has shown the market awash with reproduction cases, after a collection was exported to china. When I discovered this a descision was made to not invest in any more Vesta cases the price was right on this and should it be a counterfeit it is of good quality and interest.
DSC_0005.JPG

Return to “Antiques”