Book club

Sue
VIP Member

Book club

Post by Sue »

Again an idea from Wendy. We could run a book club where we all read the same book and then discuss it, in what ever way we wish.

Any book ideas?
If you keep searching you will find it
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Book club

Post by Wendyf »

I'm in Sue, let's see if there are any more takers.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Good. I like novels with a real historical link but am prepared to try others
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I think we should keep it quite light don't you? Nothing too challenging for starters. I've been having a look at recent books on Amazon and liked the look of this one -
The Kashmir Shawl
But lets wait to see if anyone else joins in, we can take turns to choose a book.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice idea and good luck with it. Unfortunately I shan't be joining because all my reading time is taken up at the moment.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I am for it Wendy. Shall we get started, others can join if they wish
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

As an avid reader when i'm in the mood, four to five books a week, but have not read one for 9 months, but providing the book is in my local library here in Ireland, i would enjoy commenting on a particular book, my reading is very catholic, novels, science, history, biographys, etc,.
As a aside to the above, many years ago whilst at primary school we had library books delivered, i was asked what i liked to read, at the time my father read "The Saint", books by leslie Charteris,there was another author at the time who wrote similar novels, his hero was Norman Conquest, and his card was "1066", so i told the teacher of my interest in books about " Norman Conqest", yes i finished up reading a heap of history books about the Norman conquest.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

So would you like to join us
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I have bought my copy for kindle for £4.99. I will start reading it after I have finished the book I am reading now.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'll order one from Amazon. I got a hand me down tablet pc from hubby, so I might download the Kindle app. and then the ebook.
Perhaps some more people will join in once we get going.... Come on Eileen....
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Good. I see the book has a good star rating
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I nearly threw the tablet thingy out of the window in frustration last night attempting to buy the book! I hadn't used my Amazon account for a while, so when it came to the "Buy with one click" button it was set up with the wrong credit card and I had to go through hoops to sort it. For some reason the tablet was incredibly slow, and.....well, I was reminded of trying to do phone banking with a voice recognition system.
Got there in the end through the Kobo store instead, but even that was a whole new learning experience!
Just got a couple of library books to read and I'm ready to go.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

good
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

That is my library book finished so on to the Kashmir Shaw. I must remember to concentrate....
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I started it last night Wendy but got distracted by some not very nice insects flying around the bedroom!!!!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Today I allowed myself the rare treat of reading during the daytime so that I could finish the last couple of chapters of the Kashmir Shawl. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and have been enthralled from the first chapter. It is really two stories, both equally interesting. Mair is a young, modern Welsh woman who together with her siblings is clearing out the contents of the family farmhouse following the death of their father when she finds a finely woven shawl together with a lock of hair. Having no particular direction to her life she decides to travel to the Himalayas to trace the history of the shawl, which must have belonged to her grandmother Nerys. The second story is that of Nerys, who soon after her marriage in the 1930's travels with her missionary husband to a post in the mountainous north of India and then to Kashmir & Srinigar during WWII and the end of the Raj.
Loved it.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I am not yet halfway through, but as you can see from other forums we have been rather busy. I like the format of the book but fine it rather heavy on description. I have never been keen on that, I want a good story with action without too much dressing up. However I am at the stage in the book when I keep thinking' what is going to happen next?'
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I liked that about the book. I found her descriptions to the point and not too flowery...I was there in the mountains with the characters, feeling the harsh, cold winters!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I do agree with you but I tend to skip the descriptions when they are very long. I always have done that. I thought the beginning chapter was very good and so true to life ( reminds me of what we as a family are going through)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Wow Wendy, the book got better and better. I spent a lot of time reading on the ferry yesterday and finished the book. Such a complicvated set of affairs that slowly slipped into a neat pattern. A great genealogical book too. Good choice from you. I have to say I did get used to all the description and it just wouldn't have been the same book without it. Although I do confess that I still skipped quite alot.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I probably skimmed over some of it too. I liked the way that the characters, especially the women, developed and grew. One aspect I couldn't understand was why Mair needed to have been involved in the circus and what was the point of her doing somersaults at key points in the story. It seemed unnecessary and grated a bit for me, but perhaps it provided a balance to the magician Rainer in the earlier story.
I think we can happily recommend it as an excellent read dont you?
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Yes I thought that was alittle strange, except it did bring her and Karen together and later her and Bruno. I can't remember the reason for saving the boy on the river. Was he someone in the main story or was it to just show a side of her character that Bruno did not know. Yes I would recommend it .

Next book? I am reading one at the moment called A Class Act by Kay Vincent. Its set post WW1, with a charcter who has taken a new name and life for some reason, not yet revealed. I think it has something to do with Suffragettes, or at least I hope it is because that is why I bought the book. Another 'Suffragette' book well worth a read is Cat and Mouse by Tim Vicary
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

OK Sue, I will look out for it. Shall we aim at one a month and call this one August's?
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Good idea. Which one is August. The Kashmir Shawl orA Class Act
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

No, the new one, A Class Act.