Should Classic books be made into Films

plaques
Donor

Should Classic books be made into Films

Post by plaques »

Should the Classic books be made into films. At first this statement sounds like a “no brainer”, to use the modern idiom. It opens up the book world to millions who would have never had read these classics. Period novels and history can be shown in their appropriate settings of which we have now no experience.
On the other hand, compressing a 400 page book into say two hours must leave out a lot of material. Also, the true meaning of the book is now in the hands of the director who has to juggle this with potential box office profits. Over simplification and blatant distortion can change our view of history.
So should films come with disclaimers and health warnings or are we content with the system as it is?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Should Classic books be made into Films

Post by Stanley »

If you care that much refuse to watch and read the book.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I've been inspired to read certain novels after seeing films.....I think that's the best way round. If you go to see a film of a book you know well it's usually a bit disappointing.
I'd never read a Hardy novel until I saw Polanski's film of "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" - but after that I read just about everything of Hardy's I could get my hands on.
Mind you, I probably read Far From the Madding Crowd after seeing the film with Julie Christie and Alan Bates....I must have been a bit too young at that time to be drawn into Hardy's world. Must be too old now...I've tried re reading Tess recently but couldn't get back into it.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Thankfully we still live in a country where we have freedom of choice. As they used to say “you can like it or lump it” However, my opinion is not the issue. In my posting I was attempting to balance the “pros and cons” of the film industry. Are we to let them become “the Ministry of Truth” totally unfettered or somehow try to balance their interpretation against the author’s original intent. Are we to relegate Jonathan Swift / Lewis Carroll simply as writers of fairy stories and perhaps Oscar Wilde reduced to a source for one line quotes. Wendyf made some very valid comments which probably reflects most peoples views.
If the overall view is that everything is Ok then so be it. At least the subject has been aired

Return to “Reading”