Geology book published October 2011

CPGS

Geology book published October 2011

Post by CPGS »

For those with an interest in what lies underfoot, Paul Kabrna of Craven & Pendle Geological society has recently published a book on the geology between the Bowland Fells and Pendle Hill. It is 50 years since anything was written about our area. Hopefully what we have done will bridge the gap between amateur and professional geologist.

Background:
The area of northern Lancashire stretching from the Bowland Fells to Pendle Hill is a mixture of rugged moorland and quiet pastoral valleys. Unlike the limestone uplands of the Yorkshire Dales immediately to the north around Malham and Settle it receives relatively little attention from tourists and is consequently blessed with many beautiful and tranquil locations. Surprisingly, this disregard also applies to the degree of geological study that has been undertaken in the region, particularly in recent decades, despite the fact it contains some of the most varied and fascinating Carboniferous geology to be found anywhere in the country. Our local rocks and fossils of the Carboniferous Period date back to between 359 million years ago and 325 million years ago. This was a time when the British Isles was in fact situated near the Equator!

The book is aimed at readers and explorers who have an interest in the geological history of the Craven Lowlands countryside, much of which lies within the confines of the Forest of Bowland and the Forest of Pendle; both areas of outstanding natural beauty. There are seven field excursions which provide broad coverage of the area both geographically and geologically.

Ref: Carboniferous Geology Bowland Fells to Pendle Hill (ISBN 978-0-9555289-1-0)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Geology book published October 2011

Post by Stanley »

Looks interesting. I have just ordered one on Amazon. Interesting that the scammers have latched onto it with the old trick, one used copy on sale for £84.60 when cost new inc postage is £12.50. I wonder if anyone falls for this trick? I have seen used copies of some of my books advertised at these ridiculous prices, it's a scam.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The Bowland area has been in the news since the shale gas tests so the book is timely!

CPGS has also mentioned a meeting of the society here:
http://www.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/view ... f=4&t=2741
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
CPGS

Post by CPGS »

Incidentally the Bowland Shale "Fracking" saga is to be discussed at a forthcoming Pendle Cafe Scientific meeting.

Monday 5th March 2012
The environmental impact of shale gas extraction
Kevin Anderson, Head of the Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research
Dr Anderson will be telling us about shale gas in the context of the environmental impact of this potentially important new resource.

As regards purchase of the book, I hold all copies at home in Barnoldswick so how these 'cowboys' can claim they have one for sale at exhuberant prices is odd to say the least.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The Amazon copy is on wait so I can cancel it if I can get one from you. Give me a ring on 813527 (Mornings only....) You should have said something.....

Have cancelled the order with Amazon.

The exorbitant price for a used book is a common ploy. If they get an order they find a copy and make a profit. It's a scam.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The head of the Tyndall centre! Wow, all you folk in the Pennine and Bowland area ought to be there for that meeting. And anybody else who can get there too.
CPGS

Post by CPGS »

By the way the Pendle branch of Cafe Scientific meet in the upstairs room at the Stone Trough in Kelbrook. Not far to travel. For people in work I think They charge £1 or £2. Retired I think get in free. Plenty of opportunity for questions as well.
CPGS

Post by CPGS »

Footnote:

The above Pendle Cafe Scientific meeting on the environmental impact of fracking in the Bowland Shales (Kevin Anderson, Head of Tyndal Centre), has had a change of topic! The talk will now be on climate change. The speaker is however prepared to answer questions on the fracking controversy after the talk.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Book delivered yesterday. First trawl through. Useful reference and a good addition to the shelf but not the most riveting read in the world for a layman. It would have been far more useful if it had an index, not the hardest thing in the world to make using today's programmes. Think about adding one in any future edition.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That post flew like a lead balloon didn't it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

CPGS

Post by CPGS »

Fellow contributors and reviewers didn't think an Index was necessary - perhaps this is a reflection of the diverse chapters with their own language. We all thought a Glossary would have been more useful for the layman. At least it has put our local geology back on the radar of professional bodies i.e. those concerned with Carboniferous stratigraphy and associated palaeontological groups.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry to disagree but all books used for reference benefit from having an index and it's so easy to do these days. That's why, idiosyncratic though they are (No index is perfect) all my books have indexes. Perhaps I am peculiar.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The need for an index depends on the individual book. I've been helping someone recently with his book on food and diet and have advised him not to do an index. It's a fairly technical book but meant to be understood by a lay audience. He has a very detailed Contents List at the front and the book is laid out in logical sections, so the best way to find something is through that List. An index for the book would be rather pointless as each entry would need a very long list of page numbers, and you can't easily pick out some of those pages as being `the important ones'. Most of the key words are in use throughout his book. However, this situation is a special case and, as an editor and publisher, I would otherwise normally recommend an index for a book on a technical topic

Return to “Geology”