Site Tweaks, Bug Fixes and other Stuff

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Site Tweaks, Bug Fixes and other Stuff

Post by PanBiker »

I have already tried a similar approach on a test sample of a very small section of the relevant database fields using the PHP admin tools on the hosting site. I downloaded 20 lines of code as a plain CSV file and loaded it into Excel as basic text fields. I stopped scrolling through the relational fields when I got to columns in the AAA range, there were a lot. Anyway I successfully altered the target URL string using a succession of text manipulation commands into the format required. I resaved it out into exactly the same format that it was downloaded as and shoved it back up onto the mirror development site that I maintain for the platform. This runs on a separate database entity but uses a copy of the live sites data. It crashed with a fatal PHP error on reload. I had to reinstall a backup of the data to get the dev site back up.

Messing with relational SQL data is fraught with danger.

Best hope for a solution is with the current incumbent and developer of the Gallery module, I think he is a Russian guy, he has a Russian sounding name anyway. The original developer no longer had the time to maintain and develop the code so it was taken over by another coder who has rewritten various sections to implement his vision of where the mod should go. I am watching his support site to see if any other Gallery users comment. You have to remember that phpBB and all the various add ons and mods for the platform are developed as open source.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The gallery is working and my advice is to lie back and think of England. Leave it alone unless a fix emanates from the source.......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It's working but not fully, some of the albums got mangled when the site crashed. LTP images for one, good job we elected to embed them in the posts before ripping when we upgraded the LTP. A screwed up directory system from where some of the original images used to sit in the database is just another complication that makes a simple solution more complex.

I agree that any fix is likely to come from the developer, unless I wake up tomorrow with Apache scripting skills. :extrawink:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

For the observant and anyone else who cares, I have fixed the first smilie in the post editor which had lost it's animation. I have replaced the offending little guy with one that does his stuff as... :biggrin2:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :biggrin2: :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks, Ian! :thumbsup3: :thankyou:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)

Return to “General Discussions About The Site”