The time is upon us.

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

The time is upon us.

Post by Pluggy »

Doc has asked me to meet him about me taking over ownership, hosting and care of OGFB. Its not unexpected. Doc hasn't made any secret of the fact he's going off around the world. So we're getting together to discuss things. I've suggested this Friday, I'm yet to receive confirmation.

It goes without saying I will be keeping OGFB running. There may be changes, I can't rule them out but if its viable to maintain it as us, I'll keep it relatively unchanged. I'm not fabulously wealthy so OGFB will at least have to be self funding. I have no idea of what the present state of the site finances is, Doc has looked after all that. But it kind of snaps into sharp focus when change is imminent.

I'll know more when I've seen Doc and sorted stuff out.

Watch this space.

Regards

Stephen T.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
catgate
Regular User

Re: The time is upon us.

Post by catgate »

Good luck to you, young sir.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Good lucky Pluggy - I and others I am sure will be happy to contribute. No doubt there will be others who are not happy, but it will be pay or loss altogether of OGFB.
Say only a little but say it well.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Glad we aren't going to be cast adrift when Doc sails off around the world. Thanks Pluggy.
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Pluggy wrote:I'm not fabulously wealthy so OGFB will at least have to be self funding.

Good Luck Pluggy - There will hopefully be some good profits to be made from the sales of the OGFB calendar.
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

We thought about it once - but keep it quiet or we will get the nude photo of Stanley on site again !!
Say only a little but say it well.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Good luck Pluggy. If the finances need topping up do let us know, It would be awful to lose this.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Is there a "a nude" photo of Stanley on the site somewhere - I spotted one of him in his briefs and very brief might I say !! :grin: :surprised:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

You've done it now Sunray :nooo:
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Ooops, yes looks like we'll have Stanley's nude photo on now. Sorry Stanley but it had to happen soon or later. Haha :laugh5: :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No problems about the tasteful picture if it's still about. Everybody forgets the pic of Febby's bum..... That's how he got his by-name, Mr February.
Pluggy, great news, I've been nagging Doc something chronic! Apart from anything else it has been a load on Doc's mind and he doesn't need it. Don't worry about the finances, as far as I know they are OK at the moment and the members will make sure that you get enough as soon as the donor bar is reset. I suggest it should be done immediately then we can put our money where our mouths are before the changeover as it will ease your mind if you have concrete evidence of support.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Good luck to all concerned
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Me and Pluggy have just had our first meeting regarding the transfer and things are now moving forwards.

We are going to have a trial run on a test website before anything happens and if all goes well we will complete the transfer with little if any disruptions.

We will keep you posted on the progress.

best regards Doc
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Doc, sorry to see you go but enjoy your trip, and I am sure Pluggy will do an admiral job in your absence. Eileen
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

EileenDavid wrote:I am sure Pluggy will do an admiral job in your absence. Eileen
WHAT.......!! ..........is Pluggy going on the boat with Doc...? :wink:
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I went to bed after the meeting with doc, I had a disrupted night and have been awake since before 5AM, I was cream crackered.

It should be relatively painless. The physical location of the server will move from Germany to Texas, but it shouldn't make much odds. My existing hosting package should accommodate OGFB but if performance becomes an Issue I'll upgrade it. So maybe my habit of posting pictures from my site won't upset Stanley so much, since they'll be on the same physical box. ;)

Doc is clearly looking forward to his adventure, and I for one wish him the best of British.

I had my fill of globe trotting in my younger days with HM Navy, I won't be leaving Barlick I think.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Did you discuss the retrieval of the old archive? Doc has it on a pen drive.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

No, it didn't get mentioned, do you mean the old OGFB site ? . I assumed it was on-line and patched in.

I'm just in the process of copying everything in Germany over to Houston. Then I have to make a working site out of it before we transfer the domain across to my care. As always there will will probably be a messy bit in the middle when half the worlds DNS see Germany and half are seeing Houston. A few posts will probably get lost. We'll endeaver to minimise the disruption. The existing setup, which will continue, is pretty well backed up. It is copied to an archive everyday and the last 10 day's are kept. The hosting does a backup of the whole shebang every day, assuming they don't screw up big time. Its pretty safe. I'll probably make an automated backup to here regularly (the database of all the posts and stuff is less than 100 MB when compressed.) The uploaded images are bigger and seperate. I'll keep it safe if I possibly can.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I wish you a fair wind, Doc, and a safe voyage. And to you Pluggy, good luck.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Pluggy, ask Doc about it. The transfer we did was incomplete, he has the full copy archive.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I'm struggling getting the site across at the moment, I'm copying it site to site, to save having to suck it up and down my less than stellar ADSL connection. I'm doing a mirror copy, so it skips over what its already copied if it bombs out. The trouble is the present OGFB's must have a watchdog on it that kills any process that guzzles a lot of the server's resources for more than a certain time. I've restarted it a dozen times. It always ends the same way, it stops dead and says 'killed'. It gets a bit further each time. But its slow going. The skipping over isn't instantaneous, it has to analyse whether the copy is older than the original. About 60,000 files so far, PHPBB is a complex beast.

My orange speed has dropped to below 3, But the router's attainable speed is whats limiting it which suggests a line fault. Its not a problem for the server to server copy, but it would be desperate if I were to transfer it via here. But doing it that way would probably mean it wouldn't kill the process. Devil and deep blue......

If the worst comes to the worst, I'll camp out at the Majestic church for a while and use their fast (circa 18 Mb/s) connection.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Having said that, its just reported finished. Now for the next stage.........
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Pluggy - while looking for something else, I bumped into you on the Raspberry Pi forum. We are in safe hands.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Sorry to say I have 3 of 'em........

I've still a long way to go, I've sort of got it half working. Incompatibilities somewhere I think.

I have 2 you can look at, one is a copy of this one and reconfgured to use a different Mysql server.

http://www.pluggy.me.uk/ogfb

It looks a mess and has bits missing and bombs out if you try and log in.

The other works and has the posts up until last night, but looks nothing like OGFB. Its a new install done on my server with the SQL database in place. It has non of the refinary of OGFB.

http://www.pluggy.me.uk/ogfb2

I'm on the case......
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You let them know how much work OG involves Pluggy. Members sometimes don't realise the hours that are spent keeping us clean and efficient! Orange have been having problems with line speed. See Computer thread for my latest foray into their tech support! Kev has had same problem as well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “General Discussions About The Site”