Site Status July 2013

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Site Status July 2013

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer has commented in another thread about the availability of certain features to guest members. I think an update regarding the current status of the site is in order:

Most of the glitches that are apparent while browsing the site are a result of the site crash in the middle of May. Guest members should be able to view images but the code to allow this is broken. I would imagine without delving into the guts of the front end portal that similar trashed code will be responsible for the shortcomings in the portal view to guests. We have not yet formulated a complete game plan for a re-deployment of the site, which will sort all the minor glitches that are present at the moment.

The portal is a separate module to the forum and we may or may not retain it in a future deployment. We have been running a development site since shortly after the crash to evaluate various possibilities. The existing site has over 50 add on modifications added on top of the basic forum which does tend to complicate matters somewhat. Re-deploying The Lancashire Textile Project and how we present it for the future on the live site is one of the ongoing tasks on the development site.

Portal, Gallery, Arcade, and Statistics, are all separate modules to the basic forum software. Many of the other features or functionality of the site is woven in with some of these modules and many others are stand alone, not all are fully compatible with the latest version of the forum software. Re-deploying the site is a major undertaking and we do need to explore all the avenues open to us before taking action.
Ian
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Site Status July 2013

Post by Pluggy »

Its a work in progress. Since Panny has more reliable time to put in , I've given him the full keys to the kingdom and he is really the driving force now. The main site is mainly working after the system crash in May. As I've said before OGFB is overly complex, but making it simpler by removing stuff is A) a lot easier said than done and B) politically sensitive. We're on it, bear with us.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Site Status July 2013

Post by Stanley »

I thought as much, I was pre-empting Ian and Stephen when I replied to Tiz. Just one point, when we had our meeting one of the things we agreed was that the big decision was do we mend the old site or put the effort into developing a more simple and stable platform to replace it. We decided on the latter, there were too many broken bits in the current platform. So, as Pluggy says, bear with us, we are getting there and hopefully we have steered a course that produces stability but doesn't upset the members too much by making what seem to be obvious choices but ones that would not be popular. I think we are on the right track, we'll see when we make the change! Be kind to us, we're doing our best!
One great advantage of the new version will be that the back-up archive will actually work. If for some reason the site was hacked and destroyed or failed in some other way, it can be put back on line with the minimum of loss of content. What there is will only be due to the frequency with which the archive back-up is updated.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “General Discussions About The Site”