OUR WONDERFUL SITE

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: OUR WONDERFUL SITE

Post by Stanley »

Glo, sorry if I have thrown you with my reference to the 'donor club'. It stems from something Doc said on one of the forums when he was explaining the donations and he said that as well as freedom from adverts there could be other benefits in future. Not sure if he actually used the word 'club', that may be me. The point is that apart from the warm glow, there are concrete advantages to contributing to the running costs. At the moment it's freedom from adverts but there could be others in the future. I found one advantage yesterday when Moh asked about restricted screen space and I found that the sidebar can be switched off with the arrow at the top of it.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

Moh worry not, meaningful discussion has taken place privately and I am restored. Cal I think what you have to say is important to the future of the sight, and I know Doc is listening.
I realise also that my particular make up makes it very hard for me to pick out things from cluttered backgrounds especially if there are things moving around on the page..so the new layout with it's cluttered page, it's wobbling smileys and flashing ads is almost painful for me to try and decipher posts on...that was adding to my dismay, so much of the internet is almost undecipherable for me because of this, and the old layout of one guy was a calm. peaceful place where i could take time to read meaningfully.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Thank goodness for that Belle. Thankyou Stanley for the tip about getting rid of the side column, much better now.
Say only a little but say it well.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Sometimes I find the flashing avatars on the right too much, so I re-size my browser window to get rid of them. I don't know about Internet Explorer but in the Firefox browser I click on the middle icon of the three in the very top right corner of my screen and this makes the browser window smaller, then I drag the right-hand edge in until the avatars disappear. When I want to go back to the ordinary size window I click the right-hand icon of the three and it returns to normal. I can then toggle between the two screens. Here's a picture of my computer screen with the re-sized browser showing this OG thread...
browser.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Glad you are restored Belle. The new site has great potential, you just have to find the way of using it which suits you best. Now I can look forward to our next OGFB arty get together.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good Lass Belle. To clear the screen up bite the bullet, contribute a quid and click on the arrow at the top of the sidebar and you have full screen topics. I am assuming that if you aren't a donor the arrow won't work. I'll go and have a look....
Belle, the arrow works even if I'm not logged in. It gets rid of all the sidebar adverts. Try it and see if it improves things for you.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Good morning Stanley

Thanks for the advise you gave to Bella. I made the donation to get rid of the side bar advertisements as I find the adverts are slowing my computer down. Now only the horizontal ones to contend with.

Eileen
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Eileen, if you have donated to the site your user name will shortly start to glow a lovely orange and you will even lose the horizontal ones as well. :thankyou:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

She's got the warm glow! Well done!
Have you noticed how active the site is. Too early for comparisons yet but it takes me longer to work through the topics each morning. Any news on the Bots and the Archive?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Hello again

Just posted on the donation site. I joined as I think its one of the best sites and knocks facebook into a cocked hat as it's useful. Can't comment on twitter never used it. As I said in my other posting I didn't think about monetary subscription until I saw Stanley's advise to Bella.

I think that all members should be made aware that donation is monetary and not material (me being a bit thick) could be others I suppose! If everymember donated £1 a year it doesn't break the bank and with 291 members and growing would solve the fiscal problem.

Eileen

PS I have seen I am glowing a nice shade of orange.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

EileenDavid wrote:PS I have seen I am glowing a nice shade of orange.
Have you got shares in Soltan, Eileen? :wink:
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Hello Tizer

No haven't got shares in Soltan. Use Ambre Solaire myself.

Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Eileen makes an valuable point about OG versus Twitter and Face-book. OG is small enough to be properly moderated and does not collect any user data or resell any. Therefore it much safer and less intrusive. We used to quite this as a selling point but not at the moment. Insert a line in the site welcome spiel to make this clear? I will not have anything to do with any of the 'social networks' for that reason.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Hi Stanley

I agree with you. I am not a member of any of the social network sites my partner is but he's got fed up of being notified that someone is having a coffee or is going to bed, my opinion is get a life. This site is great its useful informative and helpful without being intrusive. I still think every member could afford £1 a year to keep it solvent.

Eileen
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Well said Eileen.
Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

Stanley, does the link with google not take information.. I would have thought so?
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Belle, I assume Eileen and Stanley are talking about the way social networking sites collect personal data such as name, address, phone numbers, email addresses, age, date of birth, friends details and so on.
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Hello Belle

The only information I have seen on Google pointing my way is if I have been looking for someone and it points me back to this site but I put things on message boards that do the same. This site doesn't ask for all details and you only need to give them as much or as little as you want to disclose.

I can't speak for Stanley but what I personally was trying to say is that if you put a posting on this site you get a helpful response not the general rubbish people think important on the social networking site i.e just going to bed. I was also trying to point out that if everyone gave a £1.00 or equivalent a year (293 members and growing by the day) then we would be well on the way to the next target. The site unlike the others doesn't charge and I gather don't want to be mega rich (although that sounds inviting) it just wants sufficient funds for upgrading etc. I really like this site its one of the most friendly I have used full of nice people.

I think all the people involved like Doc, Pluggy,Stanley to name but a few need congratulating. Moh got it right Say only a little but say it well.

Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I told you this Eileen woman was hooked!
Belle, almost every key stroke we make is logged somewhere by snoopers who are looking for data on general trends that can be used by marketing people. The thing about mobile phones, social networking sites and scams like Nectar Points is that they collect much more specific information. The Co-op could print out everything I have bought using the data from my dividend card but I don't see this as too much of an intrusion if it helps them to run their business more efficiently. OG collects a certain amount of information but our promise has always been that we will not pass this data on to anyone.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Stanley

Well and truly hooked!

Just thought I would tell you to about the co op, Dave's great grandfather was the president of the coop twice his name was John Chadwick around 1920. His granddaughter is still living aged 90 and she told us that when he was no longer president he became treasurer and decided the dividend that would be paid. When he was no longer treasurer he accused the new one of saving on the dividend payment as he said it should be 2/6 in the pound and he was only paying 2/-. He lived in Hollinwood Oldham until he was 93. He had a very interesting life. Started work when he was 8 and was a half and halfer when work was slack he went to school. Became a mill engineer as well as president of the co-op which he did in his spare time. All in my book if I eventually do publish.

Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds like an interesting life Eileen. Do some short essays and post them on the site. When you get round to writing the book you'll have part of it already written and we will get the benefit.
The archive is being indexed as I write, the bots have found it now that Doc has given it a modified domain name. Some links are already working if you make a site specific search on Google by adding oneguyfrombarlick to the search string.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Why has newshound suddenly taken to putting topics in the active forums?
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I noticed that yesterday Moh, I thought it had been got rid of-------lancashire terminology. :wink:
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Moh and Glo... like you I could live without them. Ah well......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

It amazes me that we all think it's a wonderful site and yet the donations to keep it that way don't seem to go up and is static at £39.00. I think it's great that if you donate as little as a £1 it gets rid of the adverts speeds your computer up as well. :dontgetit: The site's full of helpful and friendly people so we the membership need to keep it that way. I am a newbie whose used to speaking her mind and having received nothing but kindness, together with help on geneaology including look ups and advise feel the need to preserve a site like this. I don't think Doc is requesting a lot with £200 for this our wonderful site I think its marvelous that it is run on donation and payment not made compulsary. What can you buy for a £1 these days.

Eileen
Last edited by EileenDavid on 04 Mar 2012, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussions About The Site”