OUR WONDERFUL SITE

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: OUR WONDERFUL SITE

Post by Stanley »

Doc! You're playing a dangerous game. Remember that the moderators are watching you!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Like Maz I miss the old 'comfortable' site, the new one feels like any other forum site. Still I expect we shall get used to it. Shame these posts and others eg Conor's Corner don't show up in amonst all the other topics like they used to. Unless someone specifically looks at the various sites they miss quite a lot.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree Moh but like a lot of other things, we shall get sorted out eventually. The old site wasn't without its glitches!
I take it everyone has noted the new donor club we can all join with a small donation to Doc? Donors are now identified in the ID panel on the right. There will be advantages later!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

I am surprised to see flashing adverts on all the pages, even in the private message sector, that puts a different slant on donations.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Doc has set it up so that adverts are shown to make some extra funds for OGFB, but you don't have to see them - anyone who makes a donation will be shielded from the ads, they won't see them. So it means ever member contributes, either directly through donations and freeing themselves from ads, or by putting up with the ads so that they provide money to make up for lack of donation. But come on folk, donations can be anything from £1 upwards and you can use your credit or debit card (most cards are accepted). It goes through Paypal but you don't have to be a Paypal member. Simply click on this page link:
http://www.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/donate.php Support OGFB! :cool4:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

On the picture apresently showing of the view over the town, what is the bluey grey image, it looks like a UFO?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

If you are referring to the view down from the Top of Tubber it will be the spire of Holy Trinity Church which is clad in copper and so has a greenish blue appearance as it has weathered over the years.

When the church was first built it had a proper stone tower in keeping with the rest of the building but it had to be removed and replaced with what we have now due to constant damp and raining in problems. I think a certain Mr Poulson had something to do with the original architecture!
Ian
Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

Tizer can I refer you to my post in reply to Nolic on "today I shall be mainly".
Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

I feel as though I need to justify myself and that is very sad.. but for the record had I decided to pay my donations in at the rate of a pound a year I would have quite some years to go before having to endure advertising. I do not want to leave with people assuming I hasve never contributed anything.
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Belle

Your support in the past was and still is greatly appreciated, your contribution to the site's content is also invaluable. But times move on and if you have read my posting entitled Advertisements, Donations & Finances you will hopefully understand where I am coming from.

Should you wish not to participate in the site any more, then that is your choice, but from myself and I expect a lot of the others you will be sorely missed.

I leave it in your hands.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Belle, how could anyone ever accuse you of having "never contributed anything" to OG? Surely you're willing to pay a pound now to help Doc keep on running the site? I don't know where you got the idea in the other thread that there had been "publicly naming and shaming". Doc needs cash to run the site and I can't see anything wrong with him setting up a system where, as Pluggy has described elsewhere, it gives us the opportunity to choose between paying a bit of money or accepting adverts. I use a number of web sites where I accept the ads instead of paying but OGFB is in a different class altogether and I'll give a bit of money now and then, not so much because of the ads but because I want it to continue, and I want to read what people write here...including you Belle!
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

I’ve contributed in the past and will do so in the very near future (just waiting for a client to cough up), but my main concern is that the casual visitor is subjected to less-than-tasteful adverts in the middle of sometimes sensitive topics.

I think this gives a very poor impression and so I would ask that Doc restricts the adverts to family-friendly ones. I know this can be done because I know of someone else who had the same situation with their website.

Also, if you aren’t logged in - and therefore any casual visitor - is subjected to that bleeping News Hound's job adverts taking up the whole Recent Topics panel. That gives a negative impression of the website because it hides all the interesting stuff.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: OUR WONDERFUL SITE (Compromise?)

Post by Whyperion »

Possibly too difficult , but Ads could be acceptable in the arcade area all the time , on the Jobs Newshound pages , and maybe in the puzzles and games topic. Some of the other topic areas I think the ads detract too much and will put off potentials ( see how the number of new registered users changes over the next couple of weeks - in terms of rate of increase )
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There is no guarantee that the adverts will generate significant income so until I know that's the case I shall be continuing to contribute. I've just made my second donation of a tenner to the new platform. I am not wealthy but it's my way of doing my bit towards the long term continuity of the site. And as far as I am concerned Doc should reckon up what it has cost him over the years and take it out of any surplus in the account. He kept paying through the hard times! OG is more than just a website to me, it's a community. Think back to the odd days when it was off-line....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

Doc, Tizer, thank you for your kind words.
For the record:I do not want my explanation of what upset me to be in lots of topics, so I refer you to "Today I shall be mainly" so that you can better understand the series of events that led me to react the way I did.
As is often the case, it is not what was done, but the way it was done, that offends. Whilst I sympathise with any financial burdens that setting up this site has imposed on it's creators, and I would not wish anyone to have their health compromised by the up keep of the site, a donation is exactly that in my book...something given with a glad heart, not something extorted by menaces or emotional blackmail,had we been contacted privately or even warned publicly, and given the choice to donate or have ads I would have understood, by not offering me a choice you have robbed me of the opportunity to freely give.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

The site will not be the same without Maz and Belle, it is so sad it has come to this after the glowing testimonials for the new site (and the moans!!).
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Maz, Belle, Heather, surely if enough people donated to OGFB it would no longer need ads. The way to have an OG free of ads is for us to donate enough until its finances no longer require `outside' sources. Leaving and not donating prolongs the time that ads will be needed. No, I'm not trying to use emotional blackmail (after all we are only talking about a tinternet forum, even if it is OG), I'm just laying out the facts.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Perhaps the bottom target figure of a couple of hundred was too low in the light of the potential number of users and the further suggestion of a penny a day from others , maybe the target needs to be redefined as a set sum x number of users to give it a bit of perspective , otherwise we may think that the site is built on the cheap and hold back on the donations until the site falls into a completion of a finished article that meets with our own individual expectations.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Why not just donate and get on with enjoying the site? I don't feel blackmailed or coerced, just happy that OG is here and I can enjoy it. Unfair to Doc to accuse him of these practices. Have you thought how he feels when he reads them? Get onto Pay pal, donate and get on with life.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

The point i was making, and won't try to make again, has nothing at all to do with thinking we shouldn't pay donations, or have adverts. No one seems to understand that. What your responses have done is make it look like I am quibbling about paying a donation. That has not helped the situation.
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

Belle - that’s exactly my point too, but they just don’t seem to want to listen to what we're actually saying.

They’ve raced in with their blinkered view and trampled over our (in my opinion) valid and constructive comments. They, unfortunately, have come across to me as being pompous, flippant and smug ... which may be the last thing they intended but there you go.

I don’t lump Doc in with ‘them’ - he has said he would consider our position and I have a lot of respect for that.

So, I will say once and for all:

1. I am NOT against making a donation. I will be making one soon (perhaps depending on the reaction to this post...) when I have some money.
2. I am not against monetising the website. I think it’s an excellent way to fund it.
3. However, I would like to see fewer adverts - at present they are overwhelming and if they put people off visiting then they have defeated the object.
4. I would like to see family friendly adverts only. This should be a site for all types/ages of people.

Please take the time to read what I'm saying before reacting negatively or dismissively.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

""I take it everyone has noted the new donor club we can all join with a small donation to Doc? Donors are now identified in the ID panel on the right.""

Stanley, where is this?? I have donated but I cannot see anything about a donor club???? Is this age thing affecting my vision now??

Gloria
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Ria, look under your name on the right of any posts that you make. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

??? am I stupid or what :confused: :surprised:
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Perhaps I'll pass on that. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image

Return to “General Discussions About The Site”