Why I choose PHPBB3 Software for the site

Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Why I choose PHPBB3 Software for the site

Post by Doc »

Once it was acknowledged that the old website needed to be upgraded, it was then that I started to search for a suitable replacement software package. I looked seriously at the following software options:

Joomla is a very popular Content Management System (CMS) that is well supported and offers a lot of features, however their Bulletin Board System (BBS) offerings within that community were limited and didn't offer the features that I was wanting. One good thing about Joomla is that at some stage in the future I can wrap the Joomla CMS around this PHPBB forum, giving us further features which may prove useful.

Drupal again, a very popular CMS with lots of features, but again the actual forum software didn't have everything that I wanted.

PHPBB3 I then looked at other dedicated BBS offerings including Simple Machine Forums (SMF) vBulletin, MyBB, IPBoard and eventually setted on this PHPBB3 software which offered a lot of the features that I was looking for. Great Support, Large user base, great capacity (some other sites have over 1,000,000+ topics) plenty of add-ons, mature development path and compatibility issues with browsers and mobiles. Straight out of the box the software installs as a fairly standard looking bulletin board, with a look & feel that wasn't a million miles away from our old software, it was then a case of upgrading the standard offering with off the shelf plug-ins that offer both the user and site admin more additional features which is where the site is standing today. I am happy with what we have got and the future development path for the site is looking great.

If you wish to find out more about this software here is a link to a recent review http://www.forum-software.org/phpbb3/review
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Why I choose PHPBB3 Software for the site

Post by Stanley »

I don't begin to understand the technicalities but after only one day it is looking like a good choice, you must be pleased by the relative ease it went up in an emergency. I don't mean to imply it was easy, I know it wasn't, but things could have been much worse.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Yes it's gone smoother than I thought considering the events prior to launching, a few bugs here and there but nothing out of the ordinary that I can't fix. I have a few outstanding support issues which I am waiting on answers, but apart from that I am continuing to fine tune certain elements until I'm satisfied.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

A recursive acronym so beloved of the Linux community. I love it. PHP Hypertext Protocol. I take it as its only £120 a year hosting its running on a lot less than a dedicated server. And the spell checker works, (It never did for me on the old site). It looks like a quality site now, something to be proud of. I'm impressed.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The search function at the top of the page is much better than the old one. It finds specific posts rather than just the whole thread. Also it will search for multiple words - the old one wouldn't do that for me. Thanks Doc!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
catgate
Regular User

Post by catgate »

".... things could have been much worse." That's the platitudinous sort of thing said by people who "Know" that things could always be much worse.

I think you have done a bloody marvelous job. Doc. Thank you.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have just done a test upload of a photo to the site. I do like the fact that it auto resizes for you (I purposly tried an oversize image) and the fact that it offers a batch upload facility (or more than one at least), is there a limit? it would be handy to know for photo diary type posts like Favorite Walks and Rambles which no doubt will get another airing.

As I said on day one of the launch, a quantum leap from the old site and more being added and tweaked all the time, well done Doc.
Ian
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

There is a Limit of 10 uploads per session, I can increase/decrease this in the admin panel
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Doc wrote:There is a Limit of 10 uploads per session, I can increase/decrease this in the admin panel
Is the session considered a single visit to the Gallery or your current session on the site?

If it's to the Gallery I would say that's about right, it will probably suit most folks and if you need to upload more it's no great shakes to re-visit I suppose. I also notice that the feature cannot be easily accessed by trolls or spammers as you have to elect to add another, a very good feature.

I see you have increased the size of the "last post" icon. Much better, more than one happy user there I think!
Ian
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Yes I changed the icon for the last post

When I said Session I should have meant each visit to the Gallery Upload feature

I think the "Upload Image" box will appear 10x Times, which enables the user to upload 10 images at a time before they click the submit button.

Like I said I have set this for a maximum of 10, but this is a variable which can be reset if needed, but like you said 10 should be sufficient.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I see Doc has now turned on Statistics reporting for the site. Interesting, enough stuff in there to keep a mob of statisticians on heat for a while.
Ian
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

I like Stats - How sad is that :ugeek:
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Not sad at all Doc, I used to do it with electoral stuff, enough to drive you daft. I don't go there now.
Ian

Return to “General Discussions About The Site”