New site

Angus

New site

Post by Angus »

Well I dont mind admitting my friends , I am Quite lost on this site. Of course i will give it time and wend my way through like everyone else I suppose. Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble finding anything ?. I just cant seem to do anything on here. Is the site complete ?
Angus

Re: New site

Post by Angus »

Doc Says " The OGFB website as been online since 2004 serving the communities in and around Barnoldswick in Lancashire, England. People from all around the world (Ex-Pats and just curious visitors) have registered on the site to take part in what is now not just a local site but a truely Global Community. With over 3,000 members, 100,000 posts and more than 10,000 images the old website was looking a bit dated and was beginning to struggle with the demand"

I totally do not, or perhaps I do, understand why the old site had to be changed, was it really looking a bit dated ? and beginning to struggle with the demand ? This statement sounds very much like me, Dated and struggling,. I felt very comfortable in the old OGFB as I`m sure most of my friends did.
I am not knocking anyone, it is just a fact of life that change happens, dare I mention "Tesco", and we are removed, temporaraly albeit out of our comfort zone. Are we starting completely from scratch ? I cant find any photos, apart from the header Panoramas, which, by the way are superb.
I dont know how to submit photos, or how to get an Avatar. Please just give me time to get my head around these little problems of mine, and any advice on this subject would be more than welcome........ Cheers
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Post by Bradders Bluesinger »

Hello Angus ...It's all a bit new and most people are still "finding there way" .
I have found it easier to upload snaps here , than on the old site .
If you go to the Gallery and select an area where you'd like to post a picture . Click on it and you should find a box which says ..."NEW IMAGE"... click that , and you can "Browse "and Upload etc .
Bradders
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Angus, there were many technical reasons for changing the platform, the biggest of which were that the old platform is obsolete, not supported and uses out of date technology that needed an expensive server. The change was forced on Doc and you'll soon get used to it if you keep posting.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Angus

Post by Angus »

Thanks Bradders and Stanley, I am sure with :twisted: regular use I will become accustomed to the new site.
Angus

Post by Angus »

I have just uploaded my first photo onto the site, and I am very impressed. Certainly more editing facilities on here.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Aaah, you're weakening now Angus, you'll soon be proclaiming how good the site is! More seriously, the old site was quite idiosyncratic and people who used many other forums would have found it very odd and difficult to use. Now it's mainstream, so if you look at other forums you should find that they are similar. But if you need help, just ask, there are plenty of folk here wanting to help!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sunday names now too Gus. It won't take a bloke like you long to find your way around. Take a look a the calendar photo competion, just up your street.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have sussed out most of the BBCode widgets at the top of the post editor but for the life in me I can't seem to get the syntax right to tag a URL to a text string. Its shown when you point at it but I can't seem to get it to work.

The BBCode strings are not quite as user friendly as on the old site. Highlight, right click and insert hyperlink seemed to a be a bit more intuative. This will probably not affect a lot of users who dont use them often. I prefer to keep my hyperlinks neat with a descriptive line rather than post the full URL.
Ian
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Ian Try This

url=http://www.wherever.com]text string to show[/url

I missed out the two [ & ] which go at the beginning and end, if i didnt then it would show an url like the one below

text string to show
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Talking about BBCodes for the editor I have to load a few different ones into the system, it only came with the bare minimum as standard.

Have a look at this link where there are hundreds of different ones, if there are any that take your fancy just list the ones you want and i'll incorporate them

BBCODES Database
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Home Page

Thanks Doc, I was fairly sure I tried that but obviously not.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Ian, try this:
Highlight the text you want make into a link
Click on the URL button
When the brackets containing `url' appear around your text put an = sign between the initial `url' and the ] symbol
Then paste in your desired web link URL immediately after the =.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote:Ian, try this:
Highlight the text you want make into a link
Click on the URL button
When the brackets containing `url' appear around your text put an = sign between the initial `url' and the ] symbol
Then paste in your desired web link URL immediately after the =.
Yes, thanks Tiz same result as Docs previously posted but slightly quicker I think.

Spoilt with GUI's, seems like a lifetime since CLI day's.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Spoilt with GUI's, seems like a lifetime since CLI day's.". Have you any idea how many of us you lost when you posted that? :laugh5:

(I can't believe I just used a smiley......)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Onward and upward Stanley!

GUI = Graphical User Interface i.e Windoze

CLI = Command Line Interpreter i.e type it and see what happens (the good old days before bloat-ware)

For information purposes only and totally irrelevant. :confused:
Ian
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Hi Gus, I too am having to find my way through all the new things on here, but I think in time we will all find it much easier. I uploaded a photo resonably easy, much better than the old way. I expect we will see some excellent photos on here now.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I rang Doc yesterday to tell him how impressed I was with the way the new platform has slipped into the groove. He was telling me about the point when he made the decision to press the button and unleash it onto the new server. I can just imagine his thoughts.... Of course we know now that all his hard work paid off and it says a lot for the depth he went into before he uploaded it that it has been so smooth a transition. We've all got lots to learn of course but I think it feels like OG again and is a lot more efficient, none of those occasional long waits for a post to be uploaded and time-out errors. He was busy yesterday doing a mass email to all members to alert them to re-registering. The search engine bots are crawling all over the site and the archive and over the next few weeks the links should be in place and the daily page views will climb back up to where they were before. Wonderful result, we are so lucky to have a bloke like him looking after us. Thanks Doc.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm warming to the 'thanks' function. My last post is a good example, lets me know that Doc read the post and appreciates it. All right, in this case it's triggered me into posting about the function but it's a good way of responding to a post without taking room up.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I am still a bit confused on the location of some things as it appears we have forums , areas and topics , which sort of make sense but are not quite intuative and so its a bit tricky to work out where to post things , particulary when a thread ( topic ) wanders slightly off the original subject.

I think what has happened is that perhapps too much of the old forums' architectural look has been brought into the new site and the features of the new not quite realised.

Most of our commenting and posting is ending up in General and Misc Chat , which really should be the smallest part as most of the topics in there are good enough to stand alone elsewhere in the overall area , while this will muddle up facts and information sections with opinons and gossip for this kind of social area site I dont think it matters too much, I will post a few more suggestions up in the practice area so that they will expire after a time as no point committing every tiny detail of thought to eternity.
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Being a Administrator or a Moderator both are capable of moving incorrectly classified postings to their correct location.

If a suitable location does not exist , just post a request and one of the team will be happy to oblige.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought I detected the heading post at the top of each page. Apologies, I was wrong......
Whippy, it's early days yet. I haven't yet fathomed out the extent of my powers as a moderator. I don't know about Comrade Nolic but I'd appreciate a short list. Not instructions, we can sort them out. By PM perhaps?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “General Discussions About The Site”