Elsie Crook

OneLassFromPreston

Elsie Crook

Post by OneLassFromPreston »

If anyone is a relative of Elsie Crook, former cook at Bracewell Hall, I have a photo of her which I'm happy to share. I believe her brother James died in the Surgery of Rolls Royce Ltd. in 1959 and I'd be interested to know if there was a "story" behind that, if anybody knows.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Elsie Crook

Post by Stanley »

Ah, I see you did the right thing and started a topic. The Crook family are all over Barlick. When I bought Hey Farm in 1959 off Sailor Brown and he bought it off the Crooks who lived there for many years, Ebor Crook was a wheelwright.

CROOK INDEX ENTRIES AS OF 03 December 2007

Baines directory for 1822 notes James Crook as wheelwright of Barnoldswick.

Piggott Directory notes James Crook as wheelwright in Barnoldswick.

James Crook of Hey Barnoldswick mentioned as elector of Barnoldswick in 1835/1837/1841.

Barnard Crook mentioned in an electoral role of Barnoldswick and noted as a resident of Colne.

James Crook Junior of Hey noted as an elector of Barnoldswick.

1851 census
Henry Crook of Barnoldswick Hey, 54 Farmer of 5 acres and carpenter [the Crooks were wheelwrights. SCG] Nancy, wife, 55. James, 17, carpenter. Joshua, 15, carpenter. Mary A. daughter, 13.

1851 census
James Crook, Barnoldswick Hey, 46, Carpenter. Mary, wife, 45, dressmaker. Richard, 19, carpenter. John, 17, carpenter. William, 13, scholar.

1851 census
William Crook of Coates, 42, ag labourer. Wife Mary, 48, HLW wool.

Barrett Dir. 1857 notes Ignatius Crook as farmer of Barnoldswick. In 1848 electoral roll he is mentioned as elector and of Aynhams (Bracewell?) Ditto in 1859.

c.1860
Old Barlick. Page 24. Atkinson talks about the genesis of the Greyhound. He says that the area round Hey on Barlick Lane used to be a separate township. The last block of buildings on the right was owned by James Crook who migrated to USA with his family [c.1860, Cotton Famine?] and sold the property for £400 to George Shuttleworth who farmed West Close. The property was occupied by tenants for several years and then Shuttleworth sold the property to Edward Slater a noted tee-totaller and he converted it into a public house and called it the Greyhound, First landlady was Mrs Esther Slater., c. 1873. She left on 14 December 1879 and was followed by one of Edward Slater's brothers. Edward Slater is the same one that lost his arm at Wellhouse Mill in the early 1860s and became a bible seller on a large scale and 'made a lot of money'. The pub was bought by a brewery “a few years after 1879".

1861 census
Henry Crook, Hey, Barnoldswick, 64, farmer of 10 acres. Son Joshua, 25, wheelwright. Joshua 25 wheelwright. Mary Ann, 24, Dressmaker.

1871 census
Henry Crook, Hey, 74, farmer 5 acres. Ignatius Crook, Aynhams Farm, 52, farmer of 75 acres. Barrett for 1887 notes him as farmer at Aynhams.

1871 census
William Crook, of Church Street, 60, Mason’s labourer.

1871 census
Joshua Crook, Hey Farm, 35, carpenter. Sarah, wife, 33. Barrett 1896 notes him as farmer at Hey. Bought trees in January 1891 from the Calf Hall Shed Company which they had felled at Calf Hall.

1881 census
Joshua Crook, Hey Farm, 45. Sarah, 43. Nanny, 18. Mary, 16. John, 13. Emma, 11. Rebecca, 5. Jane, 3. James, 1 year. Harry, 15. 1891 census same but Emma and Mary are missing. Also Heber Crook, son, 10 years. In same year [1891] Ignatius Crook is 61 and farmer at Aynhams. William Crook, 30, Manchester Road.

Barrett Directory notes Joshua Crook as farmer of White Moor. [SCG note. This may refer to land granted to Hey Farm as a glebe farm during the enclosure of the Moor.

Calf Hall Shed Company minutes: Joshua Crook qualified to act as director. (same entry in 1899)

Barrett Directory. Joshua Crook wheelwright at Hey.

c.1905
Harry Crook was farming Gutteridge Farm out towards Gisburn. His wife used to sell rabbits in Barlick. Evidence of Billy Brooks whose wife Elizabeth Ainsworth from Barrow in Furness ended up as servant girl there after a spell at Malham.

In an interview with Sam Hannah, Bob Hargreaves of Wilkinson’s Farm, Barley says his G-G-grandfather was William Crook and he died at 95 years old. Buried in front of the church at Barley.

SCG/03 December 2007
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Isobel Crook went to SGHS and is distantly related through the Harrisons to my hubby.
Say only a little but say it well.
OneLassFromPreston

Post by OneLassFromPreston »

Thanks Stanley, I saw your Crook family index, which is what made me post on here. I'm related to the Crooks via the Mudd family. Elsie's mother was my grand aunt.
mazhop

Post by mazhop »

Elsie Crook was my aunt, James Crook my father. He collapsed with a heart attack on his way to work at Rolls Royce , outside the factory.

Return to “Looking For Someone”