Harrisons, Spencers, and Garlicks of Earby.

cloghopper
Regular User

Harrisons, Spencers, and Garlicks of Earby.

Post by cloghopper »

:grin: Good morning everybody, I believe you are enjoying a heat wave, so I hope you are all able to make the most of it in some enjoyable way.
Between this forum and its helpful members, a brother who is a bit of an academic, and various miscellaneous sources, I now have a pretty comprehensive family trees of my paternal ancestors. What I am missing is a lot of information about my mother's side of the family. My mother died of TB at Meathop Fell near Grange over Sands in December 1945. My father was left with 2 young children to bring up, a busy farm that he had just moved to near Burnley, from Harden Hall; and all the trouble and strife that those circumstances implied.
His daily help with the job of looking after and keeping in check the two kids (self and younger brother) was his mother in law; my Grannie Lizzie Spencer; and his older spinster sister Auntie Rose. I believe that the 2 were great friends, and may even have played Cupid to my parents.
Unfortunately, they both died I think in 1947; and as I undertstand it one collapsed at the funeral of the other. These changes of circumstances meant that between the ages of 5 and 10 I spent a lot of time during school holidays etc. staying with relatives, mainly in Barlick (Calf Hall Farm),
Earby (Uncle Joe and Auntie Maggie Garlick), Sough (Auntie Fanny Crabtree). In the end, my dad remarried in 1949, and his new wife endevaoured; and to a large extent succeeded; in severing many of his previous relationships- Which leads me to my current search. Over the years I have had very little contact with any of my mother's side of the family.
My mother Annie Spencer was the daughter of Walter Spencer and Elizabeth Harrison, and must have been born in 1915 since she was 30 when she died in December 1945. I never new my maternal grandfather, and know absolutely nothing about him. What did he do for living? had he always lived in Earby? I know that my place of birth is registered as Water Street, Earby; that was Grannie Lizzie's home. My mother had 2 brothers, Eric and Walter Spencer. Uncle Eric I did know; he was a well known gentlemans outfitter who had a shop in Ilkley, and stalls at Gisburn and Otley cattle markets, and probablky Skipton too. All I know about Walter Spencer is that he married a Scottish girl and went up to Scotland as a poloceman.
As a child I slao stayed with Uncle Joe and Auntie Maggie Garlick; Maggie was Lizzie's sister, so she must have originally been a Harrison. What I remember about Uncle Joe is that he was a big jovial man; and ran one of those big flywheel engines at a mill in Earby, I think Albion Mill, and used to scare me to death with the steam and the noise. One extremely fond but vague memory that I have is Auntie Maggio taking me on a trip to New Brighton on a steam paddle boat called the Royal Daffodil. They had a son who I never met called Harry, who was away in the forces in the Far East. I think he was a bit of an inventor, because I was shown what was then a strange object called a 'television' that he had built in his room before he went away.
Current circumstances dictate that in the forseeable future it is very unlikely that I will ever be able to visit old haunts again, so I would really appreciate any information that anybody may have. I know mum and dad married in Earby in 1938; I know my mother was buried in Earby cemetery although I couldn't find her grave when I went to scatter my dad's ashes there in 1993. Practically all the rest re Spencers and Harrisons is a blank page.
Thank you.
cloggy
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Harrisons, Spencers, and Garlicks of Earby.

Post by Wendyf »

Good Morning Cloggy, no sign of a heatwave just yet, I'm in thick cloud or mist here at the top of the clough!
Quite a lot to get my teeth into there....
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I've made a quick start before heading out into the great outdoors.
The first task was to find the Spencer family in the 1911 census...

15, Albion Road, Earby

Thomas Spencer b approx 1862 in Todmorden Cotton Weaver
Rose Spencer wife b 1863 Newchurch in Pendle Housewife
Walter son b 1886 Burnley Cotton Weaver
Violet dau b 1889 Burnley Cotton Weaver
John W son b 1893 Burnley Cotton Weaver
Alan son b 1902 Earby
Walter S nephew b 1906

Next I looked for a marriage for Walter & Elizabeth and found a marriage for Walter Spencer & Sarah E Harrison registered in Skipton December Qtr. 1916
Your mother Annie's birth was registered March Qtr 1915 as Annie Harrison.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

1911 Census, 105, Colne Road, Earby

William Harrison 44 born Ramsbottom Joiner in a cotton spinning mill
Margaret Harrison 41 born Hawes Cotton weaver

Edward Harrison 19 born Ramsbottom Cotton weaver
Sarah Elizabeth Harrison 18 " " "
Maggie Harrison 14 " " "
Alice Harrison 11 " " School
Bessie Harrison 9 " " "
Olive Harrison 4 " "
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Walter Spencer died in 1937 but I believe he and Lizzie were living apart before then. I have been tracking them through the electoral registers and from 1920 to 1929 they are listed together at 5, Riley Street, Earby. Lizzie remains there through till the 1937 register, while Walter pops up in various places possibly in boarding houses and briefly in 1933 with his brother Alan & his wife on Mostyn Avenue.
In 1938 Lizzie is registered at 49 Red Lion Street together with Annie Spencer and Bessie Harrison (her younger sister, which confirmed for me that I had the right family!)
1939 Lizzie is by herself at 6 Selbourne Terrace. Will that be where you were born or did she move again? It hovers between Water Street & Red Lion Street I suppose.
She died in the first quarter of 1949, as did Rose Dinsdale.

Maggie Harrison married Joseph Garlick in 1920, and I'm sure you must know about the success story of Harry Garlick's TV & Electrical business in the area?
cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

Good morning Wendy, I don't have words enough to thank you. This is all precious information to me, that I had very little idea of. But you are right, just dug out my (original 1940's) birth certificate, and it shows I was born at 6 Selbourne Terrace. No, didn't know much about Hary Garlick, except that he was an inventive person. I know his parents were proud of him when I knew them as a child, but only ever saw him in a photograph.
When we are younger we make the mistake of being to tied up in our own lives and ambitions, and miss a lot of what in later life becomes precious.
thanks again for your help and research.
cloggy
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I enjoyed the search Cloggy, the Spencers were cotton weavers rooted in the area around Stansfield Hall in Todmorden. Your g.g. grandfather was called Gibson Spencer, born to Thomas & Betty in 1828. Gibson married Hannah Collings and when she died after your gt grandfather Thomas was born he married her sister Grace.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Selbourne Terrace is off to the right over Keb Bridge. I put this photo on the site for OG member Chinatyke who was born at 3 Selbourne Terrace!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The Harry Garlick name is well known in this area for a chain of TV and electrical shops. I don't know anything about Harry himself but perhaps someone else locally will. Panbiker has told me that Trevor Scothern,who worked with Harry in the business, took it over when Harry retired and the Scothern family have run it since then, building it into an online discount operation...strangely enough it is now based at Albion Mill in Earby! HERE
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Houses on Riley Street....long gone.

An earlier glimpse of Selbourne terrace.

Tomorrow in Colne Library I can have a look at the Wheatlands Cemetery MI's to see if there are any gravestones for your Spencers or Harrisons.
cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

Wendyf wrote:Image
Selbourne Terrace is off to the right over Keb Bridge. I put this photo on the site for OG member Chinatyke who was born at 3 Selbourne Terrace!
That's wonderful, thanks. For some reason when I went to scatter my dad's ashes in Earby about 20 odd years ago,I was looking for Water Street. Maybe that was nearby, or at the time I had been given wrong information.It was a very brief visit on a snowy dark December afternoon.
best rgds,
cloggy
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's just off Water Street Cloggy. Water St finishes at the bridge you can see in the photo, where it becomes Red Lion Street. Selbourne Terrace is the block of assorted cottages alongside the beck...it's not on a road, just a path from where the chap in the dayglo jacket is standing.
cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

Wendyf wrote:The Harry Garlick name is well known in this area for a chain of TV and electrical shops. I don't know anything about Harry himself but perhaps someone else locally will. Panbiker has told me that Trevor Scothern,who worked with Harry in the business, took it over when Harry retired and the Scothern family have run it since then, building it into an online discount operation...strangely enough it is now based at Albion Mill in Earby! HERE
talent

Good to see he bacame an impressive success then with his talents; though a I say I never actually met him. Albion Mill seems the right place, since I'm fairly sure that's where his father, my Uncle Joe Garlick, was the engine man in the 40's.
thanks,
cloggy
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

There is no memorial listed for Earby Cemetery Cloggy, so if your mother was buried there it was without a headstone. You can check with Pendle Council to find a plot number if you would like to find out where she is. Here
cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

Wendy, you are in invaluable resource :-). I'll try your suggestion. I do remember that it seemed to me that at the time a lot of the cemetry at been dug up, and maybe even moved somewhere else. Your information so far has awakened a lot of long dormant memories. I'd always known in the back of my mind that there was a Rossendale connection somewhere, because we used to visit some relative at Love Clough. I think it may have been 'Auntie Olive' shown as the youngest on the Colne Road census info.
best rgds,
cloggy
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

cloghopper wrote:... and it shows I was born at 6 Selbourne Terrace.
cloggy
Thanks Wendy. Yes, I was born at No. 3, fancy you remembering that. Ha ha! Small World, Cloggy.

Thanks for the older picture,too. That's how I remember it, jumping down from the road onto the sandbank near the beck. I was only 4 when we left Earby.
cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

It is indeed a very small world nowadays. I would have been 5 or 6 when we left Harden Hall for Higher Reedley.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

My memory isn't that good China! I remembered putting the photos on the site for someone few years ago and went in search of them.
Numbers 1,3 & 5 are still there but the even numbers 2 to 12 have gone. I think those must have been a row on the other side of the beck behind the chapel. You can just see the gable end and chimney beyond the other cottages in the old photo.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We have some good large scale maps in the Archive Room, so I took a couple of photos this morning. The even numbered houses are gone on the 1976 edition, but these are from a 1963 edition. 6 & 8 aren't numbered so perhaps they were already empty.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lots of familiar names there Cloggy! We have a couple of points of contact.... I knew Harry Garlick well, from the late 1950s I bought all my electrical goods off him. He was a good man and yes, Trevor Scothern worked with him all his life. One funny thing that Trevor once told me was that when Harry retired, many of the cheques that came into the business were made out to Harry Garlick and went straight into Harry's personal account, I suppose they were both using the same bank.
I knew Eric Spencer well both from his stall at Gisburn Market and his shop in Ilkley. Remember me going on about Tricker Boots? I bought them off Eric at Gisburn. I still have lots of very good clothes, including my Crombie overcoats, that I bought off Eric. I remember he used to refer to "a very good trouser" and told me that I was the only person who had ever bought two Crombie Overcoats at one visit. He told me that he started in the trade with a motor cycle and side-car and travelled round the farms both here and in the Dales for many years. He then started standing at the markets and once that trade was established he started the shop in Ilkley and went forward from there.

Here's Eric in 1977 in the shop at Ilkley selling Daniel Meadows his Barbour Jacket.

This is a long shot. Eddie Spencer in about 1950 on his Matchless bike outside 10 East Hill Street where I live now. Eddie lived here for many years and was a founder member of the Barlick Motor Cycle Club. Peter Thompson knew him. (Thomo) [I've had a look back at the Eddie Spencer stuff and this might be a bum steer because Eddie came to Barlick from Coventry after the big raids of 1940, lots buried on the site about him and I'll post a piece about Rolls and the Whittle engine that is pertinent to this.]

The name Spencer reminds me also of Wilfred Spencer the librarian at Colne, any connection?

I've had a dig in the index and found a couple of references that may have a connection.
D E Garlick was manager of the Barlick Council gas works in 1902. He lived on Essex Street.
The Craven Herald of 17/01/1930 has a report; A verdict of 'found drowned' was returned at an inquest in Skipton on William Henry Garlick (59) stone quarryman of 30 Arthur Street Barnoldswick. His body was found at 2pm on Friday January 10th in the Stock Beck near Bracewell. He had gone to Stock Farm for eggs and butter but had never returned. Joseph Garlick of 10 Arthur Street gave evidence of his father leaving on Thursday.

I've dug through my cards for Albion and engineers in Earby and can't find Uncle Joe. That means nothing of course, no index is ever complete. [Nil returns are always useful!]

On a general note, look in the LTP at Horace Thornton's evidence of how TB was treated in Carleton during the early years of the 20th century. In has case the council supplied a wooden hut for his sister to sleep in in the field behind the house. The treatment was isolation and fresh air and that way it could be done at home.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

Stanley, that is all wonderful stuff; and as we said a very small world. That picture of Uncle Eric is just like I remember him. The only photo I have of him is a beautiful one of him and his new bride Liesl when they were married. That must have been during the war, because I can remember staying with them in Ilkley - they lived in a pre fab not far from a big hotel on the edge of the moor. I met him again much later in his life, when a cruise ship he was on with Liesl visited Naples, and he came and spent an afternoon resting at my place - he had a heart problem. That must have been at least 30 years ago. I know absolutely nothing about his brother Walter; nor do I have any photos of my mother except one of when she was 3 years old. If you knew Harry Garlick, do you remember him with fairly wavy swept back dark hair? Because that is the image I carry of him from the photo his parents had at their home when I stayed there. Maybe I got the wrong mill for Uncle Joe, but I do remember that it was at a bend in the main road; and on one side there was the road that went on to Thornton in Craven, flanked by the railway line.
best rgds,
cloggy
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds like Albion. Take no notice of the fact I haven't a card for him, no index is ever comprehensive.
As for Harry, I think you are right about his hair, he wasn't a big man but he was a live wire and I always got on well with him.
Mail me at my own email address and I'll send you more pics of Eric Spencer, I have several. I can't attach them in the site email. (scg1936@talktalk.net)
Another thing that struck me is that I used to work for the Harrison Brothers at Smearber Farm, Elslack and have pics of them as well. Their father William Harrison was a farmer at Smearber but started a small coal merchant's business and did some general haulage as well eventually getting a good contract as a haulier for West Marton Dairies, both farm pick up of kitted milk and bottles to the depots. Not sure if they are connected to your Harrisons but they might be. One possible clue, Jack Harrison was pure albino, I don't know whether that rings a bell? It often cropped up more than once in close bred families..... Billy his brother was totally opposite, very dark and swarthy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

Good morning Stanley, and thank you. I'll mail you asap that would be great. Having been out of contact for a lot of years, the motorbike Eddie and the farming Harrisons don't ring any bells. I made the fatal mistake of dedicating my working and business life entirely to work and business. 'We get too soon old, and too late smart.'
best rgds,
cloggy
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's never too late to start and in fact there has never been a better time to do it. You will be surprised at the connections you will turn up as you dig, that's why I have thrown the wild cards in. Wendy will tell you that it's amazing how they can slot in. My index is not genealogical, just general history but at times these seemingly disparate entries can give clues and throw up new lines of enquiry. I'll have a search on the site and look for associated posts, if I find any I'll bump them.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

dau

Post by dau »

I read your post with pleasure Edward, it was forwarded to me by my nephew Edddie Spencer son of Ronald Spencer which makes me your first cousin Dela Audebert (nee Spencer 1945).
I knew you were living and married in Italy in the tourist trade if I remember correctly? I can fill you in on some details although my Mother passed away in 1994 and Eric in 2001. I'm not on Face Book but saw that there was a Michael Dinsdale living in Burnley is that your brother? Walter Spencer your Uncle lived near Stirling he was married to a Scottish lady (Jean) and had a good position in the Police Force, upon retirement he took on Insurance work and was a real sleuth! They had one son, also named Walter, he was an Engineer and spent his working life in Hong Kong. After his Mothers death he moved back to live in Scotland with his wife (Ann) but sadly I'm not in contact with them.
Annie was the eldest, then Walter then Eric my Father who as you already know had a successful Menswear business in Ilkley which still exists, both my (younger, ever so slightly!) brother and my nephew Eddie (25) work there.
Auntie Olive came to live with my parents for a while here in Ilkley after the death of her husband Clifford, he had contracted malaria whilst serving in India and was never a well man. After a still birth the lovely Auntie Olive never had children. When she had finished her grieving she moved to Carlton and then to Gargrave.
Auntie Bessie had a daughter, Margaret, she never knew who her Father was which at the time was a difficult cross to bear.
Auntie Maggie was a generous buxom lady, Uncle Joe had a metal plate in his skull due to a first world war injury and therefore had a pension and was considered 'flush'.
Harry was their only son, clever, inventive and set up his business as you already know. He had no children of his own but married relatively late in live a widow with 4 children, I think she was from Shropshire, she was called Silvia, I can remember this because I called all of my dolls Silvia!
Our Grandfather was a good looking man, a soldier who I understand was very brave but unfortunately he was a philanderer and a drinker despite being extremely intelligent. His end of life was not to be wished on anyone but I will not discuss this in a post. His wife had 'greased the doorstep' when Eric was quite young.
Your perception of your Fathers second wife is entirely correct.
I really hope that this verbose post reaches you Edward and we can then piece together the missing bits.

Return to “Looking For Someone”