Frank Windle

Robindad

Frank Windle

Post by Robindad »

My father's diary for 1930 has the address of Frank Windle at 8 Rook Street Barnoldswick.
Can anyone help sort out whether he was the one born in 1902 or 1904
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Frank Windle

Post by Wendyf »

I've had a look at the 1930 electoral register for 8 Rook Street and Frank is there with Esau and Emily who are probably his parents. I hope that helps. I'll see if I can find them in 1911.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Frank son of Esau & Emily was 9 in 1911, looks like he was born 1902.
Robindad

Post by Robindad »

Thanks... dad mentions meeting up with him at camps of The Northern Cavern and Fell Club

I knew his name from ‘tales told’ but had no idea he was from Barnoldswick.

Do remember that Muriel Pollard told me of some connection in the King family with caving. Now seems possible she was referring to my own father!

I have searched for Frank Windle in the 1939 Register with no luck so far .. will try again

Robin
Robindad

Post by Robindad »

Still not found Frank Windle in the 1939 Register..

Dad’s diary for 1939 gives his address as S B Res,R N Auxilary Hospital,Barrow Gurney , Bristol.

Is there any record of him returning to Barnoldswick after the war?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

No one in the armed forces was listed in the 1939 Register, so if he had already signed up you won't find him.
Robindad

Post by Robindad »

Thanks Wendy ..I had suspected this and the insight from Dad's diary seems to confirm this -although no rank or Service number is noted ..he did add these for other old pals.

R
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

There is a family tree on Ancestry which has Frank Windle marrying Margaret Ackland in 1945 and dying in 1983 in Barrow in Furness. There is a photo of Frank so, though I normally take Ancestry Family Trees with a pinch of salt , this one might be right.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That sounds handy Wendy.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Robindad

Post by Robindad »

Thanks Wendy. I’ve checked on FreeBMD and it does look right. Found a possible contact on GenesReunited
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another result! Good work Wendy.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Robindad

Post by Robindad »

I did follow up the several lines of interest from this discussion and in particular had a rich exchange with Jason WIndle a grandson of Frank Windle.

The current challenge is to find out more about his time in Barnoldswick and his work with St John's Ambulance.

Here is a summary of what I have about Frank Windle who was a close friend of my father, Frank King of Accrington (a grandson of John King of Lane Ends Salterforth) in the 1930's

Frank Windle was one of the founder members of the Northern Cavern and Fell Club in 1928 and an active member into 1939. He died in Barrow-in Furness in 1983. We know he had kept some caving items as a box of glass slides appeared at a local auction shortly after his death and is now in the archives of the Red Rose Cave and Pothole Club. These were identified by an old NCFC member as photographs in the 1920's and 30' as taken by my uncle Jack King.

Frank Windle (son of Easu Windle) was born into a family of cotton weavers in Barnoldswick in 1901. He was living in Rook Street, Barnoldswick in 1921 working as a van driver for Barrett's Steam Laundry. He was still in Rook Street in1930. Frank Windle was reported as active in establishing the Cave Rescue Organisation in 1935 and his niece remembers that he made improvements to a stretcher used for rescues. The 1937 NCFC log book lists him at 52 Palatine Road, Northenden (near the Beetson Hospital). Frank King notes addresses for him in 1939 – firstly at Delamere House in Northenden and later at S.B. Res RN Auxiliary Hospital, Barrow Gurney, Bristol. We lose track him 1939 but believe he continued to serve in hospitals during the war.

Frank Wnidle from his grandson
The family state that “Frank had a lot to do with St John's Ambulance and was quite high up (officer of some sort).” (Note we are trying to find a record in the St John’s Archives) and “He married a Mabel Worsley in 1939 in Manchester and then my Nan, Margaret Ackland in 1945 in Easby, Lancashire”

Notes from his grandson Jason in 2018
This is all I know of him:

1. Born: 05 Jul 1901 Barnoldswick
. He was born a twin (possibly a triplet), his twin brother died around childbirth.

3. He also had 2 sisters.

4. All I know about his caving days was from the pictures and what I can find online. My aunt said he did have something to do with a stretcher or a winch.
5. He had some kind of input into the cave rescue teams as mentioned in something I found online.

6. He was part of St John's ambulance and was a senior member of his group. He was given an award by St John's for something. Possible rescue!!

7.He did join the Navy at some point and was a anaesthetist on a hospital ship during the war. I do have the name of the ship on my computer at home.

8. I think he later continued his medical profession in some way once he left the navy.

9. He married a Mabel Worsley in 1939 in Manchester and then my Nan, Margaret Ackland in 1945 in Easby, Lancashire.

Robindad

Post by Robindad »

In 1941 Frank Windle was awarded a Long Service Medal. His medal was sent S.J.A.B care of R.N.B. Devonport

At that time he was L.S.B.A. (Leading Sick Berth Attendant) with the R.N.S.A.B.R ( Royal Navy Auxiliary Sick Berth Reserve).

Another researcher has provided the following
"The RNSABR was manned by volunteers of the St John Ambulance Brigade. The RNASBR was initially formed to maintain an acceptable ratio of medically trained personnel to seaman which would be needed in wartime. The medal was awarded for 12 years service with war service counting double. The RNASBR were disbanded 1949"

This indicates that FW had been in the S J A B and on the reserve list for some years before the war - say from 1931.

I suspect that he belonged to the branch in Settle this branch was part of the Cave Rescue Organisation from 1935 and FW was active in CRO from its formation.

That is unless there is evidence of a branch in Barnoldswick.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There was certainly an active branch of the SJAB in Barlick in the late 19th century and the early years of the 20th Century. See evidence of Billy Brooks in the LTP. He was a member and went to the Boer War as an ambulance man under their auspices.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Robindad

Post by Robindad »

Thanks Stanley

Makes more sense that he was in the Barlick unit. Settle was a good base for CRO as they needed kit close to the caves.

I'll do a search in the newspapers for the 1930's and see what comes up for St John in Barnoldswick

R
Robindad

Post by Robindad »

Stanley ... the Atkinson History you posted has an excellent summary about St J Ambulance - founded 1888.

Thanks

R

Return to “Looking For Someone”