Joseph Bracewell/Susy Hartley/John Higgin

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Joseph Bracewell/Susy Hartley/John Higgin

Post by Wendyf »

No 'fraid not. Did I find the MI's once (when we were on the old website) in the library at Colne? I had a quick look last week but didn't see anything. The library is so understaffed at the moment that there is rarely a moment when you feel you can ask a question.
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Hello again Wendy

The monumental inscription found for me was for Richard Higgin for me at St Bart's.

Now I am looking for a Rose Crowshaw at St Barts 28.07.1760 (Hoping she is in a grave with her father John Blakey)

Monumental inscriptions at N I P for Henry Higgin 26.12.1735
Grace Higgin 03.03.1739
Thomas Croshey 12.02.1744

Also do you know were Cook House was?

I have a Christopher Smith and was going to apply for his will of 1750 to see if he names Martha Smith in it. Martha Smith married John Higgin 1738. Henry Higgin, John's father named a Christopher Smith as trustee of his will but he was from Fulshaw Head.

Eileen
mosie

Post by mosie »

Hi Eileen,

There was a Cook(e) House off Langroyd Road, Colne. On a modern map there is still a Cook House Road in the same place. Not sure if is the same one you are after. It was situated roughly where Cook House Road meets North Street.

Mo
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Hello Mo

Thanks for getting back. Cook House is the place recorded of the will of a Christopher Smith. He was a yeoman and died in 1750. I don't know whether it is worth sending for it what do you think?

Eileen
mosie

Post by mosie »

Hi Eileen,

I don`t know if it would be worth sending for or not - I wouldn`t like to say. I thought Christopher was of Fulshaw, but he may have moved. I would like to have a look through the Doreen Crowther collection at Colne Library for Smiths before you send for the will. As you know I am in the middle of packing, but I may get a chance sometime this week to go over.

By the way the Newchurch in Pendle MI`s along with many other records in film/fiche or book form at Colne Library belonged to the Lancashire Family History and Heraldry Society, Pendle and Burnley branch. They were available to all during Colne library hours until the library revamped. However, due to security issues they are now only available at the LFHHS meetings. This may explain why Wendy couldn`t find them.

Mo
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm an official volunteer at the library Mo, there every Wednesday, and do have access to the room where the LFHHS books are kept. I'm working on an index of Doreen Crowther's Index of Colne Deeds, putting all the names and places into a spreadsheet. There is a Christopher Smith mentioned in the deeds to "Cook Well House Farm". Cook House Farm & Cottage are on the same page, so I assume it is the same place. That's all I can tell from my spreadsheet.
mosie

Post by mosie »

Hi Wendy,

I don`t envy you going though the Doreen Crowther records! They are extremely interesting, but they must be a nightmare to index. I will leave it with you.

Regards,
Mo
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Doreen was a wonderful researcher and friend. Let me know when you have an index....?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm constantly amazed by the amount of work Doreen produced. I have nearly finished volumes A to C of her index to Colne Deeds, picking out names and places and entering them on a spreadsheet, so it could take some time to complete!
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Thank you all for your comments, I will hang fire on the will and everything else until you very kind people get back to me. Burnley's missing years for marriages from 1753 are ready to go on line on the Lancashire OPC.

Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Doreen's neat spidery writing is so clear. I have lots of copies of work she gave me. I miss her, mind like a razor. In the mornings Doreen and George retreated to separate rooms after brekkers and did the Guardian crossword in competition with each other.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

No luck with the MI's Eileen, either at St Barts or Newchurch in Pendle. There are no Higgins or Crawshaws (any spelling) recorded in the Newchurch MI's.
I have had a look through Doreen Crowther's Smith pedigree file. Christopher seems to have been a "family" name, and there were a few of them around at the time.
There were Smiths at Langroyd in Colne, and Cook House appears to have been part of the Langroyd Estate.
There are notes on the Will of Christopher Smith of Cooke House in Colne. Proved May 1750 at Chester. They only mention a bequest to his younger son Christopher (bp 3/3/1692) of "all my freehold lands lying at Hey within Foulridge Lordship unto him and his heirs forever, also 1 bed & bedding and 1 chest."
He had an older son Thomas who was executor, so there must have been bequests for him too, but nothing is mentioned in the notes. No other children show on the pedigree.
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Thanks for that Wendy

Eileen
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Hello Wendy

Well on the information you sent me have discovered that on looking at the Lancs opc found that Christopher was born in Primmit Bridge in 1692 whilst the Christopher I am interested in was from Fulshaw and born in 1693 both were baptised at Colne with father Christopher. Also on your advise that the executor of the will was the eldest son Thomas. I looked and found a Thomas baptised 1688 also born in Primmit Bridge. So I am now convinced the one in the will isn't the Christopher I am interested in and so will not send for it so thanks for the help.

Everyone seems to know Doreen Crowther but not being from this neck of the woods I don't know? I don't suppose she had anything on the Smith's of Fulshaw Head?

Thanks again for the help.

Eileen
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Glad it helped Eileen, if only in a negative way! That family seem to have been connected to "The Edge", Langroyd and Cook House in Colne for a few generations, so it seemed unlikely that they were your Fulshaw Smiths. Nothing connected to them in Colne Library, but there may be something in Nelson.
Stanley will be able to tell you more about Doreen Crowther. I didn't know her, but she was a local historian who produced a huge amount of work relevant to family and local history research. She transcribed many deeds relating to the area, then produced an index of place names referred to in the deeds. Many of the original deeds which she transcribed have now disappeared, though some are in the LRO. She also worked on local pedigrees, and this work fills a filing cabinet in Colne Library. Every thing is beautifully hand written and easy to read.
Which reminds me, next week I will look for deeds to Fulshaw. Was it in Barrowford or Marsden?
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Don't know Wendy as to Barrowford or Marsden. Martha Smith married John Higgin at Burnley giving abode as Forest of Pendle. Henry Higgin father of John from Roughlee made a Christopher Smith of Fulshaw Head his executor of his will read in 1736.

Eileen
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Well we are now settled in our mobile home in Brittany so now I can get down to a bit of research. Still no luck on the Smith front. Eileen
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Thanks for letting me know about the deeds for Barrowford and thanks again for helping me Eileen
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Have been doing a bit of research into my ancestors Hartleys and Stuttards of Colne. Went to Colne cemetary and found a gravestone Hartley/Stuttard near the chapel. Then went to Colne library and got talking to a lady volunteer called Elaine who works there on Wednesdays. She has ancestors with that same name Hartley/Stuttard from the Lord Street/Primet Hill areas of Colne. Its a small world. I took a photo of the grave in Colne cemetary and will send it to her shortly.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I must have missed you Ray, I'm usually there with Elaine and the rest of our little team on a Wednesday.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Oh sorry that I missed you Wendy. I did mention OGFB to Elaine but she didn't seem to know of the site/or wasn't on it. If I go next Wednesday I will see if I can see you. I will go in the afternoon.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got mail this morning re. the Bracewells and thought I'd post it here in case any of it fits with other enquiries.

Just been looking at your splendid research on the Bracewell family and I think we ought to
talk or exchange e-mails sometime.

I'm a fairly well-known genealogist and family historian (he said modestly, look me up with
Google), SoG, GOONS, Yorksgen mailing list, regular contributor to Family Tree magazine,
blogger for Findmypast and fully-paid-up professional Yorkshireman but have lived in
Hertfordshire for over 40 years.

One of my great-grandmothers on my mother's line was CLARA BRACEWELL, b 1861 in
Bradford (where I too was born), her father being RICHARD BRACEWELL, b 1818 at
Kettlewell. His ancestors were at Kirkby Malham for something like 150 years but I have
reason to believe that they arrived there from Barnoldswick, possibly some time or just after
the Civil War - sorry, I know you call it Barlick!

You mention in your lengthy treatise on The Bracewell Story in Barnoldswick a Helen
Bracewell, daughter of Christopher, who was baptised at Barnoldswick on 28 Oct 1641. You
say she passes out of your story but I think I may know what happened to her. The IGI has
the marriage at Kirkby Malham on 4 July 1672 of Ellen BRAITEWELL [sic] to Abraham
THOMESS [sic]. I looked at the transcript of the original registers of KM for that period and
this says she was "of the parish of Barleweke" - Barnoldswick I presume?

I don't think Helen/Ellen was a direct ancestor of mine but probably a brother of hers was,
since I trace my Bracewell ancestry at Kirkby Malham back to the 1680s and then onwards
until the marriage of my 3x-great-grandfather William Bracewell to Ellen Ludley at KM in
1816. He then had children at Kettlewell, later they moved to Arncliffe and eventually
Bradford, where they settled in the 1850s.

If you are interested and want more detail, please contact me.

Best wishes
Roy

--
Roy Stockdill
Genealogical researcher, writer & lecturer
Newbies' Guide to Genealogy & Family History: www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html

[I alerted Roy to the fact that he was looking at Barnoldswick near Ingleton.]
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

RoyStockdill

Post by RoyStockdill »

Reluctantly, given his huge knowledge of "Barlick" and that mine is virtually non-existent, I am forced to disagree with Stanley that in 1672 the incumbent of Kirkby Malham was referring in his registers to the "other" Barnoldswick near Ingleton. I confess that the existence of the other Barnoldswick had passed me by but, having been a genealogist for some 40 years, I do know quite a lot about church and parish organisation and I possess books and indexes that detail the make-up of all Yorkshire parishes, plus much information can be found at the Yorkshire pages of GENUKI, the overall umbrella website for genealogical research in the UK and Ireland.

Since Stanley told me about the other Barnoldswick, I have checked it out carefully and discovered that it is a tiny place - a hamlet, no more - in the parish of Thornton in Lonsdale and has NEVER been a parish in its own right. I have also rechecked the Kirkby Malham registers, a transcription of which I have on fiche, and the vicar clearly wrote in his marriage register that Ellen Braitewell was of the "Parrish of Barleweke" [sic]. I tend to wonder whether the incumbent would even know of the tiny Barnoldswick near Ingleton, but he would undoubtedly know of the parish of Barnoldswick.

A further possibility has occurred to me! In the 1790s some collateral ancestors of mine baptised four sons at Broughton Hall RC Chapel, the private chapel of the Tempests at Broughton. Knowing the very powerful presence of the Tempests at Bracewell, Barnoldswick and Kirkby Malham, I cannot help wondering if my ancestors were tenants or estate workers for the Tempests over a number of generations and were moved around by them.

Roy Stockdill, genealogist, Hertfordshire
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Roy is right, I misread the mail and assumed it was the other Barnoldswick.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Anyone managed to find a Joseph Bracewell born 1746 in their research. Eileen

Return to “Looking For Someone”