Matthias Dixon

cloghopper
Regular User

Re: Matthias Dixon

Post by cloghopper »

:smile: Hi Stever,
looking through the complete thread, can see that you think your wife and I may be related.
Frank Dinsdale at Calf Hall Farm was my Dad's brother. He(Frank) died in the 60's and his widow Nancy about 15 years ago.
When my mother died in 1945, I was brought up variously by maternal grandmother ( a Spencer)- mother of Eric Spencer's of Ilkley; Dad's sister Rose, who was a close friend of my maternal grandmother; and a great aunt in Earby (a Garlick) - mother of Harry Garlick the inventor. Her husband Joe was engine man at one of the mills in Earby. Often spent school holidays either at Calf Hall, with another aunt (a Cratree nee Dinsdale) at Sough, after my father (Richard Norman) moved to Reedley near Burnley and re married. My paternal grandmother was related I think to the Mathias Dixon you are looking for, but can't tell you much about Kelbrook. I do remember the Dr.Jagoe that is mentioned, because he was always on the scene when I was staying with my aunt and her children at Sough. Also remember my cousins now in Barlick at Kelbrook School in a 1952 photo in the archives.
best rgds,
cloggy
Stever

Post by Stever »

:grin: I think a suitable word might be "Eureka". This has taken some time, but well worth it.

I will contact "Cloggy" privately and exchange notes, to fill in as many blanks as I can, in the mean time

Thanks to all for the help, hopefully more history to follow.

Regards

Stever
cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

:smile: Amongst my papers found a copy of a letter from a cousin to a brother of mine who teaches at Hallam in Sheffield. This letter mentions a cousin Billy at Gargrave; who knows quite a few Thwaite Dixons at Gargrave/Hellifield/Settle. maybe that will help in your search.
best rgds,
cloggy
Stever

Post by Stever »

Hi Cloghopper,

All help is more than gratefully accepted, but just to clarify I assume you are a Dinsdale, but don't have a record of your dad, was he born after Alfred?

Then is cousin Billy a Dinsdale or a Thwaite Dixon?

I know Gargrave isn't to far away so i will widen my search.

I noted your comment about the photo from the school in 1952 but have yet to find that.

Do you have any other photos or know where some are?

Cheers

Stever
cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

:smile: My father was Richard Norman Dinsdale, the youngest child. Born 1910 if I remember rightly. Billy is Billy Dinsdale, only son of Mathias Dinsdale who was one of my father's many brothers and he farmed at Belbusk.
Happy Easter to you.
cloggy
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Who were your cousins at Kelbrook school? I left in 1949 and someone I knew then who lives in Australia has just sent me a photo of the class taken in 1949 - quite a trip down memory lane.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You lot are working well. Lovely.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

Moh wrote:Who were your cousins at Kelbrook school? I left in 1949 and someone I knew then who lives in Australia has just sent me a photo of the class taken in 1949 - quite a trip down memory lane.
John, Frank, and Lesley Dinsdale from Tunstead Farm. John now farms in Barlick; and Lesley lives in Thornton in Craven. Not sure about Frank.
best rgds,
cloggy
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Yes, I remember them - I seem to remember they had blonde hair.
Stever

Post by Stever »

Happy Easter to all,

I am enjoying a little chocolate while I read and like Stanley I'm loving the feedback.

The Matthias we were researching is Rosemary Dinsdale's brother, Cloghoppers great uncle and my wife's great, great uncle.

So far it appears each generation has had a "Matthias" in the family and although our original Matthias seems to be a favourite, little was known of his history from around 1920 to his death in 1941 until now.

The pieces need to be substantiated, but it looks like he worked at Tunstead, lived with his brother in
Kelbrook and died there.
He did visit his wife back in Buckden, as there are children born after 1920 and presumably contributed to their upbringing but no one remembers him.

Thanks to Moh we have another link, Blonde hair runs through the family as quite a strong trait.

Is there any chance of a glimpse of the photo from 1949?

Going back to Wendyf's mention of the street map, the number 3 you noted as near the chip shop is now number 403 could this be how the council dealt with the change?

Cloggy, do you know if anyone kept a family bible or old farm records showing who worked at Tunstead, back around 1920?

It's good you know Billy, is there a way I can contact him, or can you do it in my behalf?

I'll review all my notes and add the relevant bits, which in turn will raise more questions, this is great, this how history should be taught!

Regards
Stever
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"this is great, this how history should be taught!"
Too right Steve and one of the areas OG has excelled in since March 2004. One of the reasons why Doc's work on the archive is so important. There is wonderful information in there.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Glad you are making progress Steve. Was the butcher in Manchester with the wife who died a completely different Matthias?
Cloggy, do you know of any pictures of Harden Hall?
cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

:smile: 'morning all.
I have sent you a private message Stever. In the OGFB archives somewhere they are on a photo called 'Kelbrook school 1952'
Wendy, I'm afraid not. Have nothing whatsoever from Harden Hall except vague childhood memories. (Dad taking a German airman prisoner on the moors; being scared to death of the geese on the footpath down to Tunstead; getting an orange, an apple, and an owl money box for Christmas)
best rgds,
cloggy
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I found this picture of Kelbrook Schoolin the archives.
And this one which is the 1952 pic that Cloggy mentioned.
cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

:smile: Thanks Wendy, that's the one.
cheers,
cloggy
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I have asked Stanley to put the photo along with other Kelbrook ones on the Kelbrook topic. I recogmise most of the children on the 1952 one, my contact on Oz is on there, third from left second row (the first seated row). She is Charlie Lancaster's grandaughter who Stanley wrote about in his Kelbrook topics.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've posted the pics in a separate topic because the files are very small and if Moh can get me bigger files I will do a better job and post them in here. Nice to know that Kathleen has been reading what I wrote about her grandfather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

Just noticed reading through this thread again that some children of my grandparents Frances Spence Dinsdale and Rosemary Dixon have been left out of the already long list. They also had my father, Richard Norman Dinsdale; and his sisters Mary Dinsdale (married Ottwell Lodge, who eventually became owner of Tunstead, with Uncle Bob ((Alfred Robert)) as tenant); and Fanny Dinsdale. Auntie Fanny married a Crabtree at Bracewell I think it was; became widowed with 2 small sons and lived the rest of her life from the mid 40's at Sough.
cheers,
cloggy
Stever

Post by Stever »

Morning all,
Just a quickie before I go to work, the photos are great, real people, not just names on certificates.

The butcher whose wife died, is Matthias's brother, Richard Thwaite Dixon, we found him living in levenshulme with his children in 1911, but also found a Richard S Dixon, with the same 2 children, Arthur & Mary living at 3 Colne Road, Kelbrook in the same 1911 census.

We did find the census entry,but are struggling to find it again.

We use both "find my past" & "Ancestry.co.uk" for research, but the pay as you go fees are getting a bit much for now, but we will get it again soon.

Got to go, now, will log on tonight.

Stever
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I asked one of our local historians if she had come across any mention of the Dinsdale family at Tunstead when she researched her book on Farming in Earby. She hadn't looked at Tunstead as it is in Kelbrook, but she had picked up one snippet of information:
""Bob Dinsdale had been at Tunstead and moved to Bells Farm Thornton. Ray Burt was at Tunstead before moving to Cheshire".
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

My Uncle Bob Dinsdale's youngest son Lesley is still at Thornton. I believe in the Manor House. I met him for the first time for over 50 years a couple of years ago. His oldest son John Dinsdale farms in Barlick. Not quite sure when they moved from Tunstead to Thornton; thus severing all 'Dinsdale' links with Tunstead. However the whole family came originally from Home Farm Cracoe, where my father was born in 1910.
cheers,
cloggy
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

New pics from Moh on the Kelbrook Pics topic.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

Hello Stever, I have some pictures I recovered from a grandaughter, who has been following through research started by her uncle.
The 1st one is of my grandparents with their family at Home Farm, Cracoe, 1910. The babe in arms is my father. The chap in the trilby standing next to grandmother (Roesemary Dixon) could well be the Mathias Dixon you are looking for.
The 2nd. one is the birthplaces of Frances Spence Dinsdale and Rosemary Dixon (therefore presumably also Mathias Dixon).
I have some written info which I will add in the morning. I tried to attach to this message but don't have http links. They are on file on my computer. What do I do?
cheers,
cloggy

Return to “Looking For Someone”