STEEPLEJACK'S CORNER 2012

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: STEEPLEJACK'S CORNER 2012

Post by Stanley » 02 Dec 2017, 07:13

One of the consequences of the demolition was that I came in for a lot of flak. I was seen as a vandal but I let it all flow over me because I was absolutely certain that we had done the right thing and perhaps in the process reinforced what I have always contended, that Scheduling is no good at all for protection if there aren't involved people on the ground active,y conserving!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 24 Mar 2018, 05:12

John Burlison has sent me three more images from Dee Mill just before I demolished it.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke » 24 Mar 2018, 08:51

Looking at the second photo made me think how fast would the ropes would be travelling. If the flywheel was 20' diameter and ran at 30 rpm then the ropes would be travelling at about 20 miles per hour. Does that seem right?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 25 Mar 2018, 04:44

Slower than general practice China. Ellenroad ran at 88ft per second which was high end but I'd have to look up Kenyon's data to give yo the recommended design speed.
I relented and got his lecture on the transmission of power by ropes out.... Ellenroad ran at 5280ft/min. His table of horse power for different size ropes in ideal conditions runs from 1000ft/min up to 8000ft/min. These are two extremes and most engine designers would be aiming for mid range, about 4,500ft/min.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke » 25 Mar 2018, 11:57

5280'/min or 88'/sec is 60 mph. I didn't realise that they moved so fast. They're fair zipping along. Must have been dangerous things to be near. Thanks for the information.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 26 Mar 2018, 03:56

They didn't seem to move that quickly if the engine motion was smooth and they ran in a smooth catenary curve. The time when they were dangerous was on some engines that weren't 'quartered'. This is setting the the cranks on engines with cranks on both ends of the flyshaft like cross compounds or double tandems, so that one (on cross compounds always the low pressure) was set forward 90 degrees so that there were four power strokes per revolution on the shaft. This helps alleviate any lack of smoothness in the power strokes. On any single crank engine or one that wasn't quartered it was possible for ropes to be thrown off the wheel if the imbalance coincides with the harmonics of the drive and this was very dangerous! It usually happened on start up when the harmonics were changing as the engine gathered speed and at some point reached the trigger condition. See Newton Pickles in the LTP for examples of this.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “SteepleJacks”