Forums visible to Guests and Those Only To Logged In Users

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Forums visible to Guests and Those Only To Logged In Users

Post by Whyperion »

While browsing for a thread I had posted a couple of days back via the Portal Page , it only bought up 22 active threads I could view , as a guest , checking Google cache and then into live site it said for the thread I needed to be logged in to view. Logging in Portal brings up 25 active threads I coulc view.

As the thread menu is What's Happening Locally ‹ Tourist Guides ‹ Barnoldswick , which I would have been the most use to casual visitors ( assuming we want people to divert off A Roads into the town ) , may I suggest that maybe some of the board settings are a bit awry , or have I somehow set up thread and postings to be only visible to registered users somehow in ignorant error / set up in my profile ??
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Forums visible to Guests and Those Only To Logged In Use

Post by PanBiker »

There are a number of anomalies with the site since the crash about a month ago. Development is underway to redeploy the board when we have a stable platform again. The Portal is not designed as a means to browse the board rather than as a front end to the site. As a registered user your normal path onto the site would be via your logon anyway which should give you full access to the majority of forum features.
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Yes , I understand for me , and understand what the site wobblies have probably ended up doing , its more that some threads cannot be looked at by guests ( it does not bother me particulary if I cannot see something ) , which when some (most?) of my postings are intended to be of some use/interest to the wider world rather defeats the object of posting some stuff , I cannot recall if that ( and other ??) threads were not totally visible to guests anyway when the site in its current format was established which is more why I raised the point, I am not rushing for a solution as those with the knowledge are busy , but just flagging it up if it had not been noted before.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Be patient and wait for the eventual solution. You have no idea of the time and effort which is being expended by Ian and Pluggy to rectify the faults caused by the crash. We all owe them a big vote of thanks.
One more thing, when the revised platform goes online don't start asking for lots of bells and whistles, it was these which caused the crash in the first place. The whole Idea is to have a more robust and stable platform.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Ian, a related issue that I think needs consideration (when time becomes available) is the big intimidating red signs that come up saying "You do not have permission to view this image" when one browses without being logged in. It makes me wonder what people think when they first find the OG site and all the images are replaced by these signs - it looks as though we have something to hide and it might give a bad impression.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

This is another product of the site crash Tiz. I have checked the Guest User permissions on the board and they are correctly assigned. Guest Users are assigned the Anonymous User account whose permissions are considerably restricted compared to those of a Registered Member. This is for security reasons as the account can be targeted by site attackers.

The error is being produced by the Gallery itself which has it's own permission set. During the site crash it looks like the Guest User access was re-assigned in the database and no longer has Gallery access. Due to the current unstable state of the database and how the Gallery is interfaced I feel it would not be prudent to attempt to rectify this at the present time as the permissions have to be appended to every Category, Album and File. The issue should rectify itself once we are in a position to redeploy the forum onto a clean and stable platform

The answer of course is for individuals currently browsing the site as a Guest to register, in which case they will then get full access to the site.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't totally agree about registering but of course it is true. The new site will give access to view the pics so the problem will go away. At the moment Ian's time is best used getting the new platform working smoothly, we all owe him a vote of thanks. (Aren't we lucky to have people like Ian and Pluggy to do the work for us!)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Tizer wrote: 24 Jun 2013, 09:06 Ian, a related issue that I think needs consideration (when time becomes available) is the big intimidating red signs that come up saying "You do not have permission to view this image" when one browses without being logged in. It makes me wonder what people think when they first find the OG site and all the images are replaced by these signs - it looks as though we have something to hide and it might give a bad impression.
I note this appears in the main now in Gallery for registered users if there are Zero images in the gallery- I suppose it is the default , can it be changed in a mass default setting or would each Gallery Topic need a more frendly image and tagline - like maybe - nothing to see yet - why not add something interesting ?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Forums visible to Guests and Those Only To Logged In Users

Post by PanBiker »

I addressed the guest permission problem to make all images available to them. This was done after the site upgrade and reload once it was stable again. As explained in the opening post, the gallery is separate module and has it's own permission system, the default "empty category" image that you see is set within the coding of the gallery and as such is not really editable. The resolution of course is to populate all the categories with images.
Ian

Return to “Forums”