Global Moderator

Re: BE Bosom Friends Centre - 2, Green Street

Post by Stanley »

Getting close now!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I went round to the centre this morning and installed the trunking and back box for the extension cables to the display. I fitted the hangars on the VESA fittings on the back of the set the other day. Will just have to remove the stand that I put it on temporarily and it will be ready to offer up to the wall. I put the support bar on the wall some time ago now. It will be good to see the end of the job in sight. I'll take some pictures at some point.

Method in my madness, It's Bosom Friends monthly Coffee Morning tomorrow morning and Ash and Will may well be around so a couple of younger guys to to do the lifting and shifting. It's a big lump, not particularly heavy compared to what I used to deal with when I was in the TV trade, but it's unwealdy and the lads will make short work of the job. Tea or Coffee and buns or cakes to follow, winner, winner. :biggrin2:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good: Good thinking! Young and daft can be very useful at times!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Third Wednesday of the month so its the cancer support meeting at the centre tonight. Tea and biscuits and our normal confidential chat if you want session.

At our last trustees meeting we decided to try daytime support meetings in-between and in addition to our regular evening support meeting. The thinking was that there may be a few folk who would prefer coming round during the daytime rather than in the evening particularly through the winter months.

Sally and I agreed to run these as we are available and local to the centre so no real problem in opening up to see how it goes.

Our next monthly Coffee Morning on the first Saturday of the month will include a pot sale as well as what fair is available to eat and drink. The February bash will have tea (always available) and toast, crumpets or croissants - or your regular coffee and cake ☕️🍰

The pots and crockery on offer are from the shop and are offered in exchange for a donation to the group, we have lots to choose from. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wonderful activities, more power to both of you....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Our meeting last night was well attended with a couple of new visitors to our group.

We also had a short talk from a representative of a carers support network. This has been established throughout North East Lancashire and the Ribble Valley to provide practical advice and support to those that are thrust into a caring role. The group like us, is a registered charity. One thing that was quite shocking was that the youngest carer who their group was supporting was 6 years old and the oldest on their radar 102! It is estimated that unpaid carers save the state £38 Billion per year, they need all the help they can get, I have had the T-shirt so can affirm to that.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dead right Ian, one of the longest running scandals in social care that I am aware of.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Going round to the centre this afternoon to sort upstairs out for our 20th anniversary social that we are having tomorrow for all our volunteers. We have set the room up for our pot sale as reported in the post above but the RSVP's have just topped the capacity of our downstairs room.

No worries, tables are already out we just have to shift all the pots out of the way temporarily. Must remember to turn the radiators back up, probably have to have a vac round as well. Might need to transfer a few bits into the upstairs kitchen.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well done Ian. I admire your dedication to the charity.... :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

As noted above this Saturday's Coffee Morning includes a pot sale in our upstairs room. All pots are available for a donation of choice.

This months coffee morning (tea also available) will have toasted Crumpets, Tea Cakes, Fruit Loaf or Croissants to go with your brew.

Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

As mentioned before, at our last trustees meeting we decided to try additional cancer support meeting but held during the day as well as our normal third Wednesday of the month evening meetings We settled on the first Tuesday of each month and 2pm - 4pm. We thought the daytime meetings would be more convenient for some folk and especially those who may be on treatment or not want to turn out on dark winters nights. Sally and I volunteered to run the sessions as we are local to the centre and half of our trustees have daytime jobs so it's not possible for them.

First session was yesterday and we had four attendees, two who have not come to the evening meetings and one of which who was a completely new attendee so a good start. Tea and biscuits of course and a chance to discuss anything you like, compare notes and experiences in complete confidence. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That would suit me Ian. Remind me when the next one is coming up!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Daytime sessions will be on the first Tuesday of every month. I will if I think on. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good man! My short term memory isn't what it was. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We had an offer from a supporter who produces 3D walk round presentations to produce one of our Green Street Centre. You can take the tour on the link below. Point at the balloons on the downstairs counter for navigation and other links:

BE Bosom Friends, Cancer Support Centre - 3D Walk Round

The Google Map linked shows the position of our charity shop on the Town Square which is the location registered with Google rather than the centre on Green Street.

Our thanks to Mark Shepherd of Apollo 3D for the production.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very good video Ian. Very swish. Your treatment room makes me think how good it would be to have treatments in Barlick!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Brilliant Ian. You've made an excellent job of doing it up. It looks beautiful. I hadn't realised it was so big. Love the video, a real credit to the creators.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks for the comments. All the building work and utility fitting was done by local tradesmen. Community grant schemes from some of the larger retailers in the district paid for decoration and in some cases provided their own staff to do the job. Our local Coop is a major supporter who donate us a percentage of their community fund. They also supply us with produce from time to time for local sponsored events.

It's our 20th anniversary and we officially announced that this years capital project is to raise funds to purchase a static caravan as basis for a respite retreat. We are collecting a cheque later today from Ghyll Golf Club who have been fund raising at their events, we will put their donation towards our latest venture.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Looks fabulous. Bright and welcoming.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks all for your comments.

It's our monthly evening cancer support meeting at the centre tonight.

Next daytime one will be the first Tuesday of the month which will be March 3rd.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Following on from my last post.

At our trustees meeting last night and in light of the developments in the Coronavirus outbreak. We made the decision to suspend until further notice our monthly cancer support meetings. We do not wish to increase the risk to attendees who may be undergoing various stages of treatment or put at risk anyone who may have a compromised immune system.

Support and advice from the group is still available via telephone on 01282 814917, or Mobile 07415618843 or via our various social media channels.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very sensible Ian, we need a lot more of this common sense, not regulation!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just received an email from TalkTalk Business who we have our broadband connection with. They are upgrading us to Super Fast Fibre, around (76Mbps) at no extra cost. :smile: Will be advised when the upgrade is complete. Cant use it at the moment though.
Ian

Return to “BE Bosom Friends”