Barlick Fell Runners

Other Sporting Events
Ringo

Barlick Fell Runners

Post by Ringo »

Barlick Fell Runners came into being after an inaugural meeting held on 10 December 2012, when it was decided that there was a need for a Running Club based in Barnoldwick to cater for those who lived in the town and the surrounding area. We do not want fees to be a deterrent to anyone joining the club and so they have been deliberately set at a modest level as all the club looks to do is to merely cover its expenses.

Although the club is principally a fell running club, it also caters for other running disciplines such as cross country and road running. There are regular training sessions which cater for all abilities, from the absolute beginner to the experienced runner. Details of all the training sessions and social runs will appear on the web site.

Barlick Fell Runners

There will also be regular off road pub/social runs on each Wednesday throughout the year and details of forthcoming venues will appear on the web site. Every one is welcome to come along to these runs, including members of other clubs.

Applications for membership are welcome from everyone, regardless of ability. The only requirement is that you enjoy running.

If you are not sure if the club is for you, why not come along to a pub run. You will be made most welcome, you can meet some of the members and judge whether the banter and atmosphere is for you.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Barlick Fell Runners

Post by Stanley »

Do you still run to work at Foulridge Rick? I can remember the first Weets race, was it in the late 1960s?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Ringo

Post by Ringo »

The company has relocated to Earby but I still run to work.....when I'm not injured!

The Weetsf race began in 1971 and for six years started at the Fosters Arms. It was a men only race and the record was set by R.Harrison in 1973 with a time of 26.50. In 1977, the start of the race was moved to the Rolls Royce Social Club and for the first time, women were allowed to enter. The roads in the town centre were closed for the race and there was a great atmosphere as the runners passed the pubs and the road side spectators before heading off up to the summit of Weets, before returning through the throng back to the Rolls Royce Club, a total of six miles.
The first race from the Rolls Royce Club was won by D Slater in a time of 30:34 and this time stood as a record for 18 years until it was beaten by 4 seconds by K Anderson in the 25th anniversary of the first race. Only three men have won the race three times, D Slater and Barlick legend Roger Brewster.
Ladies were first permitted to run in 1977 and the first winner was L King in a time of 48:52. The ladies record was set by C Greenwood of Bingley in 1997 with a time of 35:54. The only year that the race was not run was in 2001 when it was prevented from taking place by the foot and mouth epidemic.
Eventually, the cost of closing the town centre roads became prohibitive and in 2003, the start of the race moved to Letcliffe. The first winners of the men's race over the new course was three time British Champion, Rob Hope, in a time of 39:27. The first winner of the ladies' race was Vanessa Peacock of Clayton in a time of 48:34.
The race from Rolls Royce was six miles and as much of it was on the road, it was very fast. Although the present course is shorter, it is probably more challenging as it involves much less road and much more climbing. The records for the old courses will stand forever, but the records for the new course are there to be broken. The men's records was set by J Tigue in 2008 with a time of 39:16 and the ladies' record time of 40:31 was set in 2010 by Victoria Wilkinson of Bingley Harriers.
Many fine runners have taken on the Weets challenge over the years, including Ron Hill, Roger Brewster, Rob Hope and John Wild and is probably one of the few races in the area that Ian Holmes has never won..
The race has been run for over 40 years and now that it is under the auspices of the local running club, its future looks assured.
Ringo

Post by Ringo »

This mornings run was hard work as I have had an enforced lay off due to injury.............Foulridge on the canal then Kelbrook on road and back to Barlick.
Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Thank you very much for posting this.

I well remember the fell race from my youth and it was an event that we all looked forward to. I remember Ron Hill running it and can see him in my mind’s eye as I type. And when we lived Moorgate way it came right past the door and of course, the Brewster’s lived across the road.

Not much of a runner me, never seemed to have the stamina. Even when I was young and fit and played a bit of rugby.

Richard Broughton
Ringo

Post by Ringo »

Ron Hill is still running every day, he has just completed 50 years of doing at least a mile every day. He came to the Barlick Fell Runners presentation evening just before Christmas.

Roger Brewster is still out there racing too
Ringo

Post by Ringo »

Managed another 3.5 miles this morning at a nice steady pace......the comeback is still on track!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And met me on the street corner where he got a lecture on doing too much! I've seen too many people become obsessed with running and it sends them a funny shape! Moderation in all things.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

RobGrillo

Post by RobGrillo »

I remember finishing 2nd in the Weets race way back in the 1990s. behind Lee Warburton (Spenborough). I really enjoyed the route but was already tired on the start line after running the Hellifield Gala fell race the day before :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have a pic of the first race somewhere but must never have digitised it as I can't find it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Other Sporting Events”