Stanley's abysmal site skills

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Stanley's abysmal site skills

Post by Stanley »

I am ashamed, but happy, to report that I have realised where I was going wrong with my PMs. I hadn't scrolled down and was posting my message in the add members box! Just goes to show, when all else fails read the destructions! I shall try to do better in future...
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sunray10
Regular User

Re: Stanley's abysmal site skills

Post by Sunray10 »

Not to worry Stanley, I've done worser things than that. Won't say what ! :laugh5:
Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Unfortunately this happens when things tend to be fixed that don't need fixing. I found the original OGFB website to be more user friendly and easier to navigate.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

No option Zeke, the old site software was obsolete and no longer supported. Doc who was administrator at the time realised this and had this platform under development when the old site eventually gave up the ghost with a fatal crash. The current platform was not fully finished when he had to deploy. Since then we have had a major restructuring of the site and it's now as simple as it gets on the PHPBB platform software that the site runs on. Doc researched long and thoroughly when searching for replacement platform for the site, there is a thread regarding why this platform was selected over all the others that are out there. Most people seem to get along fine with a bit of practice, it's just another short learning curve to master.

As you have been away from the site for some time, have you read through the new user notes on the site? You may find them useful. Have a look at the three "stickies" which are available at the top of all the forums, they have good pointers on how to navigate and get the best from the site. I noticed that you have already sorted how to post images. This was a particular stumbling point for lots of users on the old site, its considerably easier now.

Welcome back by the way.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Unfortunately this happens when things tend to be fixed that don't need fixing"
Sorry Zeke, that's totally wrong. If we hadn't changed we wouldn't be operating now. Site is far faster and less complicated. It's also cheaper and easier to administer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Zeke

Post by Zeke »

Again, Stanley, not trying to cause any animosity here, but being that I'm not too tech savy, I find the new format more complicated than the older one. Perhaps if I hang out here and play with it, everything may fall into place. Thank you sir.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Which bits are you having problems with Zeke?
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

PanBiker, If I wanted to post a URL as a link. What have I to do exactly. I was thinking I just copied the URL and then hit the "insert URL centre button second line icon row. Am I right?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The insert URL icon in the editor has two boxes. Top one for the URL, bottom for a description of the link. This will produce whatever you type in the bottom box with the link attached to it. Much better than just a naked, non descriptive URL.

Here is one that will take you back to the Index Page as an example.

Index Page
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think it was Tiz who showed me how to do that one. Very handy icon!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Private Messages”