Spellchecker

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Spellchecker

Post by PanBiker »

The qwick brown fox jumpt over the layzi dog

Earlier in the week, typo's were being highlighted by the spellchecker, not now. Have you turned the facility off Doc or am I doing something wrong? Can't see anything in my control panel or in the edit box that will tun it on or off either.
Ian
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Spellchecker

Post by Doc »

I haven't changed anything that I'm aware of. I'll look into it.

Testing to see if the spell checker works: this is a badly speld word irisponsible

It seems to be working OK at my end
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

badly speld word irisponsible

Same string does not highlight as anything wrong?
spell.JPG
Sorry about the small attachment, first time I have done it this way.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: It was working for me earlier in the week and can't see that I have changed things at this end. Will try on another machine
and in a different browser and report.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PanBiker on 29 Jan 2012, 15:25, edited 1 time in total.
Ian
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

Mmmm I'm scratchin my head here, I haven't seen any settings I can change in the admin panel, maybe i have to look deeper, it sounds like a permission setting, Whilst I am typing it is highlighting the scratchin as a misspelt word, so it is working has it should at this end.

Anyone else having the same trouble with the spellchecker or is it just panbiker?
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Interesting Doc, same machine different browser (Chrome), works O.K.
Will have a poke around in my Firefox settings and see if there is anything obvious.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit in Firefox on a different machine and the spell checker works here OK as well.

Definitely my FF on my laptop (same versions on each, must be something in the settings).
Last edited by PanBiker on 29 Jan 2012, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
Ian
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

Aye thart reight, Ian. Tint doin nowt fer me niether.
Oh, tha’s just nipped in theer wi anuther post.
I use a cider press to see tinterweb (ie Apple’s Safari) I’ll try Firefox in a second...

PAUSE WHILE DIFFERENT BROWSER LOADS
Reight, narthen this 'ere's Firefox an it's going mad wit red dots!
Spellchecker likes Firefox but not Safari - both on an Apple Mac.

So it looks like it's a browser thing rather than individual settings?
Last edited by Callunna on 29 Jan 2012, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Trust Cally to bugger the theory up, mind you she is using one of them apple things I believe :wink:
Ian
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

I have just checked the specs on the software. The actual Forum Software does NOT have a built in Spell Checker, but what it does do is send an instruction to your browser (Multiple Browsers) to activate your browsers built-in spell checker with the Setting for the dictionary to use of "British-English".
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks for that Doc. I checked my add ons and plug-ins in the FF browser on my laptop, some needed updating (done).

Turned out to be the browser spell checker extension which had been turned off, must have been done automatically as I certainly have not touched it. It was flagged as update available but disabled with no warning. Updated and re-enabled - Sorted.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm pleased to say the spellchecker has been working for me in Firefox on Ubuntu Linux and it's brilliant to have one because I'm always making typos when I write in forums but I don't like posting spelling mistakes. Once an editor, always an editor! Which reminds me, I must try out this new-fangled editor thingy....oooh, I've just noticed, the Firefox spellchecker has underlined the word `reminds' and wants me to change it to two words, `re minds'!

[hr]
Coo, this is how to glow!
  • List 1
  • List 2
  • List 3
Einstein said:
Quoting text
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's helping me....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

\Works well for me on Google Chrome. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm using Google Chrome too and the spell checker works for me except for wanting me to be American. Neighbor, center etc
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

wendyf wrote:I'm using Google Chrome too and the spell checker works for me except for wanting me to be American. Neighbor, center etc
Wendy, your browser is using an american dictionary, to change to a British one do the following:

Click on the spanner icon (top right) in your Google Chrome browser then select Options, then select Under The Bonnet a page will appear, in the second section of the page Web Content there is a button labelled Languages and Spell Checker Options, click on this and select British English for your preferred Language and Spell Checker. Close the tab once you have finished and that's it your done.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote:Which reminds me, I must try out this new-fangled editor thingy....oooh, I've just noticed, the Firefox spellchecker has underlined the word `reminds' and wants me to change it to two words, `re minds'!
I use Firefox and my dictionary does not query the word reminds. For those that don't know, you can change the dictionary you use in Firefox via the Tools and Add-ons option, the dictionary can then be found in Extensions.

I'm using British English Dictionary 1.19.1 developed by Mark Tyndall and is available here: British English Dictionary
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thanks for that Doc, but I don't seem to be able to do it. I get the message "Google Chrome cannot be displayed in this language" & "This language cannot be used for spell checking".
Ah! I lied, I have found it now :smile:

Return to “Editor”