Sipping lemsips

Sue
VIP Member

Sipping lemsips

Post by Sue »

ONLY 1 day to go before I start my Dryathalon, this will be my last update until the end of the first week in January.
I have a horrible cold so I think my last alcoholic celebrations for a month will be replaced by lemsips!

I have reached £110, in sponsorship so far, only £40 to go to reach my target, but of course I don't have to stop there. Sponsors can add themselves all the way through the month.

I am very grateful for everyone's contributions,

NOW WHERE IS THAT LEMSIP?

OVARIAN CANCER , the silent killer

"Ovarian Cancer, often called "The Silent Killer," is one of the most deadly cancers in women. According to the American Cancer Society only 20-30 percent of women diagnosed with late stage Ovarian Cancer are alive 5 years later. That means 70-80% of these women died. Think of it this way: if there are 10 women with ovarian cancer in the room only 2 or 3 of them will be alive in five years. Why? There are no good routine screening tests for early or late detection of ovarian cancer. It is usually found at a very advanced stage due to the fact that there are few symptoms that draw a womanís attention to the fact that something is wrong. Symptoms can be vague and mild. A woman may have a feeling of lower abdominal bloating or a feeling of fullness or mild congestion in the pelvis, both of which can feel just like menstrual symptoms or bowel sluggishness."

In 2000 a very close friend of ours was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. In July 2012 she lost her valiant 12 year battle against the disease. A lovely lady sadly missed

In 2001 another friend was also diagnosed. She was lucky, early recognition of the disease meant total irradication
immediately. 12 years later she has had no reoccurrence.

Ovarian cancer is the fourth most common form of cancer death in women, after breast, lung and bowel cancer. However, the average GP will see only one case of ovarian cancer every five years.

In the UK
In 2010, 7,011 women in the UK were diagnosed with ovarian cancer.
In 2011, there were 4,272 deaths from ovarian cancer in the UK.
In 2005-2009, 42.9% of adult ovarian cancer patients in England survived their cancer for five years or more.

7,000 cases of ovarian cancer is roughly 135 women each week
There are approximately 4,300 deaths from ovarian cancer
Early diagnosis is very important

Most women are diagnosed once the cancer has already spread which makes treatment more challenging. Diagnosed in the earliest stage of ovarian cancer, women have a very good chance of surviving, with five year survival rates of above 90%. When diagnosed at the latest stage, five year survival rates are below 10% This is why early diagnosis is so important.

Research has shown that just 3% of women in the UK are very confident about recognising a symptom of ovarian cancer
Delays in diagnosing ovarian cancer are not uncommon. Women sometimes delay seeing their GP, and GPs sometimes do not recognise the potential importance of the symptoms women report

Continued cancer research can help to increase the survival chances of these sufferers.

Please consider supporting me in my Dryathalon challenge.

I hope to raise £150, I have already reached half of my target.

http://www.justgiving.com/Sue-Hayter
If you keep searching you will find it

Return to “Volunteering Opportunities”