Blood Donors

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Blood Donors

Post by PanBiker »

That looks interesting Kev, Doesn't apply to me at the moment as far as I am aware. I am interested to see how Thursday pans out at Ermysteds. NHSBT have asked that donors turn up on time and not to early to their appointments. This to shorten the time you are at the session. Appointments only until further notice, no drop in slots at all.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I'm taking P to Ermysteds on Thursday afternoon, I can't donate again until July.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Just received my 5th text or email from NHSBT. This one to check their website, (link provided) to reiterate the safety measures that will be in place and also to check that I still have no symptoms that would preclude me from donating.

When is P there Kev? My appointment is at 3pm.

I am booked in advance for my next session in August.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 28 Apr 2020, 18:10 When is P there Kev? My appointment is at 3pm.
2:45 I'll be lurking in the car park
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I will watch out for your "lurking" :biggrin2: :extrawink:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 12:13 I will watch out for your "lurking" :biggrin2: :extrawink:
and there you were :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I passed Kev waiting for P in the car park on my way in. There was a queue outside when I made my way towards the entrance. After a couple of minutes we were all ushered in via another entrance which was a long corridor leading to the hall. Chairs were set up 2m apart all the way down the corridor.
My appointment was for 3pm which it was when I rocked up and it was 3.10pm when I sat down in the corridor. As folk were called forward everyone moved up the line. I was called at about 3.35. First bit of triage was a Q&A session with the nurse about whether you had been in contact with anyone with the virus to your knowledge or anyone who was self isolating. Passing this test you were asked to go back up the short corridor and into the toilet block to thoroughly wash your hands.
On returning there was a cross on the floor at the booking in table. It was clear by this point that all NHS staff were wearing masks. You were asked to use the hand sanitiser on the desk before taking the safety leaflet and a drink if you hadn't brought your own and then pointed to spaced chairs at the bottom of the hall to wait to be called for the health screening and haemoglobin test. I notice Kev's wife P was just being hooked up to start her donation. Gradually they worked through all those who were there before me, I was called at about 3.50pm.
Hand sanitiser again at the health screening then you were passed a surgically wiped pen to sign your medical questionnaire and consent form. Haemoglobin test then done and passed. Normally you would move out from the screened area to a chair to wait for a donation chair to become available. One of our Jacks mates Tom was already occupying the chair so I had to wait until he was called to donate. My turn on the waiting chair then and a number 2 card placed in the box along with my info and all the kit needed for my donation. I waited another 10 minutes or so and just before I was called I noticed Mrs Kev had just finished and was on her way. Thanks for warming it P. :smile:
I was next in the same donation chair which was wiped down with sanitiser before I took up position. It was about 16.15 when the nurse came to set me up, it was Mark who was "Uncle Fester" at the Halloween donation session last year. I asked for my right arm as I generally get a better flow from that side, but he had spied a much fatter vein on the left so he swapped the kit over to the other side before setting me up. As it turned out my left delivered in less than ten minutes. Not a lot of room just two chairs in the resting area so you could have a biscuit and drink from the chair, I had a mint Club biscuit and my own water. I felt perfectly fine after a couple of minutes and could rest a little longer in the recovery area or leave directly as the nurse was happy for me to go. 16.35 when I left the venue out of a back door and round the building back to where I had parked the car.

You got an additional card to the normal advice for potential bruising or haemorrhage, this one is about notifiable symptom guidance, if you suspect that you have contracted the virus or develop any of the symptoms on the card within 14 days of your donation you have to ring them on the number provided.

Staff said that they get updates on operating procedures for the sessions everyday. I reckon, apart from the regime taking a bit longer and that the session ran about an hour behind the appointments. At no point did I feel at risk from attending. I think they did about as much as could be expected at that particular venue. :good: :biggrin2:
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I forgot just before lockdown I was due blood tests, sometimes these are done at local hospital/clinic and sometimes can be done at doctors surgery. This time at doctors but when I got there there was a trainee nurse in and I was asked if I minded her doing it, figuring that everyone has to learn somewhere I did my community spirit and agreed, part thinking of the trainee vet who had difficulty injecting a cat with its annual innoculations on the telly a few years back. anyway a bit of random prodding around my inner left elbow to raise veins up (maybe going early in the morning after blood pressure pill was not a good idea), and I think she took two or three attempts and I dont think she got it spot on, so more pain than normal and less efficient than my normal pair of nurses I have seen over the years. Of course much of the training is about paperwork, check who the patient is, what and how much needs doing, fill out the completion forms , dispose of the waste arising correctly and generally ensure everything gets placed for collection correctly. Hopefully she will have better practical goes with others and in the future to remain one of the extra 50,000
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just over a fortnight since I made my last donation at Ermysteds and I have just received a text from NHSBT to inform me that my donation has been issued to the Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle.

This reminds me, I am already booked for my next appointment hopefully back at Rolls on 20th August but I need to see if I can book another after that on the 12 week regime or thereabouts.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Gave an armful today at Burnley Fire Station, all very organised as usual. Only real change is a compulsory face covering (thanks Sally).
20200707_143733.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

:good:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just checked today that my next session is still on. It's at Rolls on 20th August, still showing as a viable venue despite it still being closed at the moment.

I checked for any alternatives in the area just in case but they are all fully booked from my earliest eligibility which is the 23rd July.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just received a text this morning to advise that my next session at Rolls has been cancelled. :sad:

There are no appointments at any of the reasonably local venues before September at the earliest. I have looked at:

Burnley Fire Station
Burnley Turf Moor
Colne Municipal Hall
Clitheroe West Bradford Village Hall
Skipton Ermysteds Grammar School

I have opted for Burnley Fire Station on 2nd September. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

We're both booked in at the Bradford Donor Centre for the beginning of October. All the local venues are full, there has been a big increase in donations which is good.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes, I got a letter today from NHSBT re the cancellation of the Rolls session. They say that the service is reducing some of the full blood donor slots at venues in favour of collecting "convalescent plasma" from donors who have had the Covid virus but are now clear and recovering. It's a clinical trial to see if the product can help those currently under treatment for the virus.

I have managed to book a slot at Burnley Fire station in early September and am hoping that one doesn't get bounced as well. The letter also mentions that donors have responded well in general through the pandemic and blood stocks are good as a direct result.
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

If some standard operations have been cancelled or delayed maybe there is less need for blood as such (subject to shelf life), in lockdown there was also a small reduction of RTCs and Violent Street Crime
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Whyperion wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 17:52 maybe there is less need for blood as such (subject to shelf life)
From NHSBT

How long does blood last after it’s been donated?

Blood components have a limited shelf life:

red blood cells can be stored for up to 35 days
platelets can be stored for up to 7 days
plasma can be stored for up to 3 years
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Current NHS blood stock 18/07/2020
Blood.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

My common blood group (A+) is prevalent in about 30% of the population so is always in demand. Current stocks show this clearly along with O+ group which is useful as a cross matcher.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Still on for my next donation. I received my appointment letter and medical questionnaire this morning for my next session at Burnley Fire Station. Only venue I could find although somewhat later than my twelve week legibility cycle. I have already looked for another appointment slot for my donation after this one but there is no availability up to nearly the end of this year. Rolls in Barlick is still off the venue list.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have received three text messages since I got my appointment letter. All checking one way or the other if I was still fit to donate and would be attending. Happy to say that I still meet all the criteria on the medical questionnaire and the current covid rules for donors attending sessions.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

My donation at Burnley Fire Station has been processed and issued to Tameside Hospital Trust.

I managed to book my next session at Burnley Turf Moor in early January, no slots any nearer home.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Wishful thinking or hedging my bets. I have cancelled my appointment in early January at Burnley Turf Moor in favour of a new appointment In Bingley. This was the next venue available.

My reasoning for better or worse, Burnley currently has 40 - 50 cases of Covid per 100,000 and has had for over a month now. Bingley has dodged the bullet and currently has 2 cases per 100,000. Of course this may not be the case next February but I reckon it is better odds. Not paranoid or I wouldn't go at all but I reckon swapping over to the Yorkshire team is probably a good move. Slightly further but just as easy to get to off the bypass. Weather could be kinder as well a month later.

Bingley Arts Centre

3.00pm

Monday 8th February 2021
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Forward planning!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Volunteering Opportunities”