Blood Donors

Gloria

Re: Blood Donors

Post by Gloria »

Just been and given an "armful" in Leyland and we are no longer on the flat beds but on large chairs which they adjust backwards, much comfier.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Oooh, that sounds like a good idea Gloria. Nothing like that has reached Barlick yet but maybe next time. I would imagine that this will be another innovation that will cut down even further on the number of faints. I suppose donating in a more upright position might help to keep your BP on a more even keel than rising from a prone position at the end of the session.

I assume you are encouraged to take the pint of water while you wait for your slot? That simple introduction apparently reduced the incidence of fainting episodes by over 70% or so I was told when I asked.

I bet they can fit a few more stations in using recliners rather than beds as well.
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Yes, you are still asked to drink a large glass of water. The chairs are a moulded plastic and break down into three pieces for transporting. There are cushions available it the seat is too uncomfortable. A big step from the first beds to donate, then the second beds to recover. It must be better to keep pretty much upright, and they are easier to get off than those beds.
Gloria
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We have never had a two bed regime as long as I have been going. Lie down to donate and then after the canulla has been removed they sit you up and you sit on the side of the bed for the three finger two minute routine before you get your plaster at the same time as the short pep talk about not jumping out of aeroplanes and such things. I think they always keep an odd spare bed though for anyone who needs a little more time to recover.

I was wondering how they would stack up against the collapsible beds for transportation but if they come into 3 parts I assume it could be win win situation for transportation and effectiveness. If they take a little less room up so they can fit a few more in each session that is even better.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The next session in Barlick is on the 27th September. has anyone else already had a call from the Blood and Transplant team to check that they will be turning up to their session? This is the second time this has happened with me. As I am a regular donor and have never missed a session (apart from the one which was cancelled last year), I think this is rather strange, so I asked why they were taking the time and expense to chase regular donors. The answer was that the numbers are generally falling off so they have to do this to bolster attendance. Even more reason if anyone is thinking of donating for the first time to get on and do it!
I know I keep banging on about the 4% support for everyone else in the country, but if the lady on the phone is anything to go by it is now worse than that! So if a few more of the estimated 3500 folk in Barlick who are eligible to donate and currently don't would make a note of that date I'm sure the team down at Rolls on the 27th would be very pleased to see you.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have been thinking more about the new 12 week regime for the male blood donors and wondered if there was any further information on the NHSBT website. There is a new section about the potential 12 week cycle for men but no information of how it will operate. I have used the contact option on the website to ask how I can give on a 12 week cycle when the NHSBT team only comes every 16 weeks. I will post any response I get on here.

I would be more than willing to donate every 3 months as if every male could do this it would mean that potentially 100,000 extra units could be collected each year which can only be a good thing. According to the website an additional benefit of 12 weeks for the males would mean that it would not cost as much to process the donations either as it is cheaper to process regular donors than new ones which is understandable. They hasten to add that they do not want to discourage new donors, the new cycle for the males if it can be implemented would just be an extra bonus from the percentage of males within the 4% of regular donors.

Give Blood - Male Donation Frequency update
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I received an automated reply to my query about the new 12 week regime on Tuesday. Nothing that answers my query but passed on to relevant departments it would seem. A copy of the text is appended below:

Thank you very much for your comments. We are committed to providing a high quality of service for our donors and we value your comments which will be shared with the relevant staff.

If you have indicated that you require a response we will do this once the issues you have highlighted to us have been fully reviewed. We aim to reply within 20 working days. If you are making a complaint about our service, we will aim to contact you by telephone within 5 working days to discuss your concern.

If you wish to contact customer services directly please email: customer.services@nbs.nhs.uk

Thank you for your support of our work to save and improve patients' lives.

Yours sincerely

Andrew Pearce
Head of Donor Advocacy

It looks like my email has now been reviewed as this one was received yesterday:

Our ref: XX/XXXXXXX

Dear Mr Lambert

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding the recent change to the frequency of donation for male blood donors.

Allowing male whole blood donors to donate more often is a great step forward in providing the 7,000 units we require every day to meet the needs of hospital patients. It is also important that we make effective use of our resources and, unfortunately increasing the number of visits to Rolls Royce Leisure would reduce the number of donors who are eligible to donate at each session.

However, please be assured that as a service we are currently exploring other ways of increasing the opportunity for male donors to donate in areas that we do not visit than three times in the year.

We do have other sessions available near your home that may be convenient for you. These include the Municipal Hall, the Nelson & Colne College and Skipton Town Hall.

If you would like further details on these or any other sessions you can contact our helpline on 0300 123 23 23 or use our session searcher on our website http://www.blood.co.uk.

Thank you so much for your valuable support. Your 21 generous donations are greatly appreciated and have helped to save and improve many patients' lives.

We look forward to welcoming you on the 27th September at 14:20pm.

Yours sincerely

Andrew Pearce
Head of Donor Advocacy

E-mail: customer.services@nbs.nhs.uk

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NHS Blood and Transplant
Do something amazing today - Give Blood.
Organ donation. The gift of life.
You can visit us at http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The views expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender, and not necessarily those of NHS Blood and Transplant.
This text confirms that this e-mail message and its attachments have been swept for the presence of computer viruses by NHS Blood and Transplant, however we cannot guarantee that they are virus free.
All e-mails and their attachments to and from the nhsbt.nhs.uk domain may be archived, and their contents monitored.

Very efficient feedback but no actual resolution other than attend different sessions around the area. This solution of course would be very messy as you could not use the appointment system really so it looks like I will have to stick on a 16 week cycle. Any donation at 12 weeks from the last would upset the apple cart and would have a knock on effect on the next scheduled session so would be self defeating.

I will be there as usual on the 27th but would like to do more if I can. Not properly thought through I think!
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Blood Donor Session
Rolls Royce Leisure (Ballroom)
Skipton Road, Barnoldswick BB18 6HJ
Thursday 27th September 2012
13.15 - 15.15 and 17.00 - 19.00

If you have never given blood before please give it a go. Currently only 4% of people eligible to donate are supporting everyone else in the country. This is a very sad statistic, don't be one of the 96%, help bump up the 4% to a more respectable figure.
It is not difficult, less than an hour to do something amazing. Make the commitment and help save lives.

Click the link below to visit the Blood Donor site which has all the information for both new and regular donors. New Donors can check eligibility and register, existing donors can book appointments. You will not be turned away if you turn up on the day but registering in advance will help to save a bit of time. You can also check for donor sessions anywhere in the country, so all the non Barlick residents don't need to feel left out
Anyone who cannot give blood on medical grounds is excused, everyone else, register and commit an hour to help saving lives.

Do something amazing...
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I am due next tuesday in Leyland. Whenever I try to talk people into giving blood they seem to have allsorts of reasons as to why not. No one has ever said they don't because they simply don't want to.
To all the people out there who could give blood----please do, one day one of yours or yourself may need that help. Please at least think about it.
Gloria
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I can't understand why I have never posted this yet in this thread, a bit of light relief: Enjoy.

The original YouTube video was withdrawn on copyright grounds from the BBC. This one is an excerpt

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/zcZChdM0OiI[/BBvideo]

I'm sure everyone will appreciate that the reality is nothing like this take on events from over 50 years ago, a classic nevertheless.

On a more serious note, I'm wondering if the Rolls team are going to have the new reclining chairs that Gloria gets at her sessions? If they do it will be interesting to see if they can fit more into the "pods" than they do with the beds. Four is the norm in each pod with the beds. More donating stations should reduce the turnaround time even further I would have thought although I suppose that will depend on staffing levels as well, particularly how many cannula nurses they have for hooking you up.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I asked about the beds v recliners yesterday at blood donors, we still had beds. Apparently the recliners take more room up both in use and for transportation. The Burnley team service larger venues than the Liverpool based team that will probably be at Gloria's venue. Rolls is a 12 bed venue but our team can cater for 18 bed venues with the transport they have allocated to them. They have to transport the beds and a number of cages that are used for all the ancillary equipment and donated blood storage in what space they have available. If they were using recliners, Barlick would drop to 10 beds and the larger venues using 18 beds to 14. A backward step from a productivity point of view. The beds pack flat for transportation but the recliners don't.
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

My team come from Lancaster and last time the nurse told me the recliners dismantle and stack very well. I will investigate this further next tues when giving my armful.
Gloria
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Please do Gloria, it will be interesting to see another teams take on the situation. I was a bit sceptical when the nurse I asked said they took up more room as I thought that they might stack, a bit like the poly chairs. I know you are nearer the sea than Barlick but are you towards the top end of the county. I suppose it's straight down the M6 corridor for the Lancaster team.

I will add as well that I have hardly a mark on me when my plaster came off in the shower this morning. Our team are very good at what they do :smile:
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Where I go normally in Leyland is only 5mins off the M6, but last time they sent us to a hotel which is right next to the M6 junction.
Gloria
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

This session the actual blood taking didn’t seem to take as long as usual (new technology?) but this was offset by the time taken to go through all the questions, H&S procedures etc etc.
I remarked to the “carer” (as they seem to be called now) that when I first donated blood back in the 70s as a student, you went in, they stuck in a needle and you got your free cuppa (which was mostly why I'd volunteered!) all in about 15 minutes.
Still, it was nice to do my bit and see that the session was extremely well attended.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

My session seemed to take longer but only because I was quite early for my appointment. I think I was only about 10 minutes to empty my arm (as Tony would say). I think I have commented before that I seem to have a fast and a slow arm. It takes twice as long from my left arm which I find strange as you would think being nearer the heart than the right it would flow better from there. I wonder if being right handed makes a difference i.e stronger, more developed. Anyway they always get the right offered and it's not let them down yet.

A bit of a chat with Elaine as well while she was waiting for you H.

Barring appeals, next session is just into the new year, 17th January 2013. If you are thinking of becoming a donor, and please do, make a note of the date and get on the website, register as a new donor and book your first appointment. Do something amazing....

Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Well I had an interesting day donating blood.
I asked the question re the stacking of the new chairs and was told they break into two and they can carry as many as they can tables. They take a couple of minutes longer to build and dismantle, and seem to be causing back ache amongst some of the "nurses" as they have to tip them in various positions during your sit upon. Apparently they are not easy if the donor is a large person. Also ours only have 12 donor beds so we have the chairs, larger places have the beds.
After giving blood I did the usual hold three fingers tightly over the padding over the "hole", a plaster was then put on and the funny little bit of rolled extra padding---all well at this stage. I then went for my brew and was rooting in my bag for my details to book another session when this lady gives a shriek, everyone looks at her---looking at me!!!! I had blood pumping out down my arm, I hadn't felt it at all. So they had another armful on the floor--it's amazing how much comes out and how fast. They were all very quick to do something and stopped it very quickly, cleaned me up, cleaned the carpet, full of apologies, no ones fault. A few years ago a very similar thing happened but I hadn't got off the bed then, I just wouldn't stop bleeding---all good fun giving blood.
I feel fine, just one of those things, but the look an the lady's face was priceless. I had blood on my gillet which the nurse told me to claim for if I couldn't get it out, no prob it washed out. They were all very concerned and it must have looked quite a mess at the time, luckily I didn't notice anyone leaving early.
That was my interesting day donating blood.
Gloria
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

After my donation at the last session when I was drinking my brew a big strapping bloke came to join us after his donation with his sleeves rolled down. He immediately attracted the wrath of the nurse in charge of the station. She said she had seen bigger blokes than him keel over when they sprang a leak which is why she was giving him a tongue lashing. He did as he was told and up went the sleeve again while he had his brew. Not a common occurrence but it obviously does happen from time to time. I hope you don't end up too bruised, hardly a mark on me after my last couple of sessions.
Interesting on the chairs v beds thing though, never thought of the backache angle with the chairs being a bit lower. It's hard being on your feet all day anyway without having to work bent over! A least with the beds the donor or the bit they are interested in is more or less at worktop level, I think some of the male nurses in our team have to stoop a little but all the girls seem to be fine.
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

The chairs are quite high up, and the top part runs in small wheels fixed to the bottom bit, and it is this that I was told they struggle with. There are details of it here http://www.mtbeurope.info/news/2011/1110021.htm
Gloria
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Looks a bit whiz bang compared to the beds. I assume the armrest will go on either side and the agitator will clip on similar to how it does on the beds. I can see how it will cut down the fainting incidence though as you will not be subject to the same potential drop in pressure from prone to upright as is the norm on the beds. Looks good to me but I suppose it will all come down to how efficient it is for all parties in practice. No doubt time will tell.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not really blood donation but to do with needles. I'm old enough to remember big needles and blunt ones at that because they re-used them. I was struck by the fact that when I had my flu jab on Saturday I never felt it going in, they must have made them even finer and sharper. I can remember my dad bringing an advertising card home in about 1945 and showing it to me. It was from Tube Industries. They had been sent a sample of the 'smallest tube in the world' made by an American company. They had made an even finer tube and threaded it through the American one. When you are giving your next donation give a thought to the engineers who worked miracles with metal to give you the finer needles....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just had my reminder call from NHS Blood and Transplant. Checking to see if I was still available for my next appointment. Can't see any problem so I will be there as usual at the next session which is on:
17th January 2013

Rolls Royce Sports and Social Club

Barnoldswick
More will follow nearer the date but if you are thinking of donating for the first time, please do, make the commitment and do something amazing. Less than an hour of your life to help save someone else's.

Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I go January 10th in Leyland.
Gloria
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

They won't take mine now - too old!!
Say only a little but say it well.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I should have consulted my PA before confirming my appointment for the next Barlick session on the 17th. I can't make this one so I have re-jigged my donation to a slightly later dated session in Colne. No real difference to me, the later session will still enable me to get to the May session back in Barlick as I will have just made the 12 week cycle for male donors.

So there is effectively a spare slot in Barlick on Thursday, (although the team will never turn you away). Who is going to take my place and save a life?

Ian

Return to “Volunteering Opportunities”