Blood Donors

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Blood Donors

Post by PanBiker »

That's the general idea Stanley. Rolls Sports & Social Club is back open for beer but who knows for how long? It's not back on the Yorkshire NHSBT teams venue list though yet. I keep checking but I reckon I am probably flogging a dead horse there, certainly for the rest of this year. Then of course there is the knock on from the factory news although the club is no longer a perk just for the employees as it was at one time. Barlick does need it's own venue, it is always over subscribed, we must be an altruistic lot. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 10:30 Wishful thinking or hedging my bets. I have cancelled my appointment in early January at Burnley Turf Moor in favour of a new appointment In Bingley. This was the next venue available.

My reasoning for better or worse, Burnley currently has 40 - 50 cases of Covid per 100,000 and has had for over a month now. Bingley has dodged the bullet and currently has 2 cases per 100,000. Of course this may not be the case next February but I reckon it is better odds. Not paranoid or I wouldn't go at all but I reckon swapping over to the Yorkshire team is probably a good move. Slightly further but just as easy to get to off the bypass. Weather could be kinder as well a month later.

Bingley Arts Centre

3.00pm

Monday 8th February 2021
We went to the Bradford Donor Centre back in September, very easy to get to. Had to pay £2 to park but that's a small price to pay really. Next donation is Turf Moor in January.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Received a text from NHSBT to check that I am still good to go with my appointment for donation in February in Bingley.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Additional questions to read before next week's donation;
Have you had any of the following health-related problems in the last 28 days?

High fever
A runny nose or sneezing
Dry cough
Sore throat
Extreme tiredness
Sore/aching muscles
Loss of taste or smell
An active cold sore

If you have had any of these, cancel your appointment.

I'm good so far...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've had a runny nose for months... Does this mean I am infectious?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Probably not but you wouldn't be allowed to donate, even if you were a regular donor.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We have to be pretty pure when we rock up to donate. I have had an invite for a dental check up but I am going nowhere near until after my next donation. A trip to the dentist a few days before a donation will definitely bounce you. I have no concerns dental wise so it's no great shakes and NHSBT need my armful.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I have an invite to make a dental appointment too. Donation is Thursday, I'll just make sure the dental appointment is after that. I can't see it being any earlier to be honest.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

20210121_135540.jpg
An armful given, struggling to get another appointment for April though...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Probably a combination of both staff and venue shortages Kev. Two weeks until mine in Bingley.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Most likely Ian, I'll check again in a week or so. There's usually appointments at the Bradford Donor Centre, hopefully some will become available.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I received an email the other day from NHSBT on the same issue. It suggested booking the city donor centres as lower footfall in general has impacted the number of donors through the centres.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I can't seem to book either Bradford or Lancaster Donor Centres through the app. I've opted for West Bradford Village Hall in May, it fits in with Paulette too so we both have appointments booked for the same time.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I'll have a look and see if that will slot in at 12 weeks for me as well.

I was thinking, are the permanent city centre sites drop in centres or do you need to book? There is one in Leeds just down from the Headrow which would be OK for me when I have my scan but unfortunately they would bounce me if I went on the way back from a contrasted MRI. Always a downer. :extrawink:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

26th May will do for me, just booked at West Bradford 15.05, thanks for the heads up Kev. 15 days to my appointment at the Bingley session. Rolls still not back on the venue list.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 10:58 I was thinking, are the permanent city centre sites drop in centres or do you need to book?
We both went to the Bradford Centre in October and that was booked, potentially it was the result of a phone call rather than an app booking. It does show in my donation history in the app though...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Got my invite for the Bingley session on Moday 8th Feb and the separate flyer for potential Coronavirus symptoms.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 11:17 Got my invite for the Bingley session on Moday 8th Feb and the separate flyer for potential Coronavirus symptoms.
If it's the same setup as Turf Moor you'll have to read it again, on a big poster at the door, before they let you in. It's then hand sanitizing, temperature taken and the rest is pretty much as usual with the exception of masks and distancincing.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

My donation put in some mileage, Burnley to Manchester and then on to Newcastle.
Screenshot_20210204-221406_Chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Must be nice to know where it went.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I get a couple of emails, after a donation, that tell me what they've done with it and where it went. The 'where it went' links to Google maps.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

So do I Kev, I have also had emails to say that some of my units have been broken down into component parts which can help more people. I think they do this with any groups that they have surplus for. Mine is quite common A+ so is shared by lots in the population. Monday for me, I hope the snow behaves itself.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A+ for me too.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I can always count on you for an armful then if I need one! Same applies for you of course. :biggrin2:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Of course :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Volunteering Opportunities”