COATES HALL

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

COATES HALL

Post by Stanley »

Coates Hall.

In the PRO there is a map of Whitemoor dated 1580/1581. Page number 507 in the catalogue. 3437 Barnoldswick 1580/15811 (DL 31/106.)

See also PRO DL1/123 T. 1 For mention of a suit between Tempest et al, tenants of Barnoldswick v. Bannester et al, tenants of Foulridge.

So, what this tells us is that in 1580 the Tempests of Bracewell also had rights over at least part of Barnoldswick. This might not have included Coates at that time. Bannester (Bannister) was lord of Foulridge but at the same time was perhaps also Lord of Trawden and proprietor of Park Hill in Barrowford.

I have two references to a John Bannister near that time, John Bannister of Barnoldswick married Margaret Frankland of Gisburn in 1625 at either Barnoldswick or Gisburn. In 1692 a John Bannister held Cow Pasture Farm in Barnoldswick.

I’ve seen a record somewhere of Bannister of Coates Hall unless my memory is playing tricks but all I can find at the moment is a reference from John Savages History of Barlick in which he says that William Drake owned Coates Hall in 1667 it having previously belonged to Sawley Abbey (this could be true but worries me) William Bagshawe became the owner of the hall and estate in 1758. In 1883 Colonel Roundell of Gladstone bought the estate and in 1915 it passed to Sir Amos Nelson when he bought the Gledstone estate.

Land tax for Coates is:
1753 William Drake, £4-10-0. 1756 ditto but £9. 1757 William Bagshawe, £9. Same in 1760 and then in 1770 but tax lower at £6-15-0.

Langdale’s Topographical Dictionary of Yorkshire 1822 notes that Barnoldswick Coates: The large hall built by the Drakes is now converted into cottages.

Grassington lead mines and Coates Hall.

When Mick and Vicky visited me the other day (October 2016) they gave me a book that they had which was of no interest to them but they suspected I might like. It is 'British Mining No. 46. The Grassington Mines by M C Gill.' One of the excellent monographs published by the Northern Mines Research Society.
O page 18 I found this in a section which examined 'THE END OF CUSTOMARY LAW AT GRASSINGTON'.

'The mines were still owned by small partnerships in the 1740s but, while miners still held shares in them, landowners were becoming the principal shareholders. The latter were not only local but also came from many other places including Swaledale, Airedale and Lancashire. For example, William Drake of Coates Hall, Barnoldswick, had interests in a number of mines and when he died his estate and mining shares were inherited by his godson, William Bagshaw of Derbyshire. The latter family had interests at Grassington before then and a Mr Bagshaw of Derbyshire joined with Tennent's claim to the rights to the Castaway vein. (A long running dispute over rights to mine a vein at Grassington.)
William Bagshaw had mining interests in Derbyshire and with his partners was involved in 40 Meers at Grassington, plus 13 in the Conistone Liberty at Mossdale. The majority of the two dozen or so people employed were at Mossdale.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: COATES HALL

Post by Stanley »

Bumped to draw attention to the latest information....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Research Topics”