MCINTYRE, Herbert. Blackburn, b.1910

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

MCINTYRE, Herbert. Blackburn, b.1910

Post by Tizer »

I wonder if someone could do a look-up on Ancestry for me in the 1911 census? Having exhausted as much as I could of my family history some years ago I stopped my Ancestry subs but I've now got one person I want to check out. His name was Bert McIntyre and I believe he was born in Blackburn. I believe he was born shortly before WW1 so I've looked on FreeBMD for a Herbert McIntyre born in Blackburn between the 1890s and 1920s. There is only one listed:
Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Births Jun 1910 (>99%)
McINTYRE Herbert Blackburn 8e 387

I'm interested to know if he appears as an infant in the 1911 census for Blackburn and, if so, where he lives and the other family members. It was eventually a family of 12 sons and one daughter but I don't know if he was a younger or older member.
Any assistance will be welcome!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MCINTYRE, Herbert. Blackburn, b.1910

Post by Wendyf »

I've had a look Tiz.

17 Yates Buildings, Blackburn.
Mary McIntyre, Head, 25, Married 6 years, 3 children born, 3 children still living. Occupation Cardroom Cotton. Born Blackburn Lancashire.
James McIntyre, Son, 4, Born Blackburn
Christopher McIntyre, Son, 3 ditto
Herbert McIntyre, Son, 11mths ditto

I wonder where Mr McIntyre is?

There is one more Herbert McIntyre in Blackburn born 1892, I can give you the details if you like.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Joseph McIntyre & Mary Hannon married at Blackburn register office in 1906 ref RM/164/67.

I can't find Joseph on the 1911 census, but there is a 14 year old Joseph on the 1901 census brother of the other Herbert born 1892.

Do you want anymore information? Once I get started I find it very hard to stop! :grin:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

You haven't stopped me yet....!
LancsBMD is an amazing resource compared to FreeBMD because the mother's maiden name is given in the results for births. Herbert McIntyre b 1910...mother's maiden name Hannon.
I had a search for other McIntyre/Hannon births in the Blackburn area.
1912 Maria
1914 Joseph
1920 Andrew
1921 Francis
1923 Albert
1925 Gilbert
No results after 1925
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Wendy, you're a star! It's got to be the right family, I've just been on the phone to the daughter (only child) of Herbert (known as Bert) and she recognised a number of her McIntyre Uncles among the family names - Joe, Chris, Jimmy, Albert (but also an Uncle Billy?). She named Aunt `Mari' who must be Maria. The father she knew as Grandad McIntyre but didn't know his first name or what his work had been, but if she knew him by that name he was presumably the same man who married Mary Hannon. He must have been working away from home at the census. Thanks for all that which is more than enough for us to digest at the moment! I can follow up by getting the marriage cert for Joseph McIntyre & Mary Hannon. I don't know where `Yates Buildings' was in Blackburn - can't find it on google or on the Blackburn Cotton Town site. We think they might have lived somewhere in the Montague Street area. Thanks very much for all your searching!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

If it helps Tiz, the previous streets on the 1911 census are St Alban's Place then Primrose Bank.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

This is from Mario maps on the LCC website. The church is St Albans.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

She's like a small but fierce Jack Russell isn't she..... Lovely!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Tenacious sometimes Stanley....but never fierce. :smile:
Been thinking about "Uncle Billy" and "Uncle Jimmy" Tiz.
Joseph's father was called James, as was his eldest brother (ref 1901 census). His eldest son (Herbert's brother) was called James William...it's possible that he could have been known as Billy to distinguish him from the other 2 James in the family.
Also, Maria married a James McVan in 1932....could he have been Uncle Jimmy?
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

That's all good analytical thinking Wendy, thank you. Stanley's right about the tenacity but I can't comment on the ferocity! :grin:
Well done with the Yates Buildings too, it would have been difficult to find it on a map by simply scanning through the streets but you employed logic and looked which were the streets named before and after on the document. I'd have liked to have had you as a colleague when I was doing scientific research! I'll start to collate the information soon...just now, the immediate job is to find an estate agent in London to sell Mrs Tiz's parents house to provide the funds for their nursing home.
karateman

Post by karateman »

Hi TIZER,
my name is Philip and I married Jeannie McIntyre who is the daughter of Francis McIntyre and the brother of Herbert McIntyre. I have also done a Genealogy study of the Family. I have a lot of family history which we could discuss if you want. What relationship to the Mcintyre family are you?
I could perhaps swap what family history we both have if you want. I do have access to "the Genealogist site as well. We live in Accrington

Joseph by the way was a builder as was most of the family...they built a lot of the buildings in Blackburn like cinemas etc

I also have a copy of Joseph and Marys marriage certificate

Phil
Last edited by karateman on 24 Nov 2013, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
LizG

Post by LizG »

Wendyf wrote: Do you want anymore information? Once I get started I find it very hard to stop! :grin:
I'm with you there. I don't care who the family is, I just love the search.
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Welcome to the site Phil. Tiz will pick that post up and you will be hearing from him... Lovely to see the site turning up a new connection like that.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Hi Phil, Welcome to the OGFB web site and thanks for making contact about the McIntyre family. I'm not a McIntyre but one of my female ancestors married a McIntyre and I now have contact with some of the descendants. They haven't done any research on the family which is why I was delving into it for them because I've researched my own family some years ago. I was puzzled by your first sentence: "Jeannie McIntyre who is the daughter of Francis McIntyre and the brother of Herbert McIntyre". I wondered how Jeannie could be someone's brother but decided you must mean that Jeannie McIntyre is the daughter of Francis, who is the brother of Herbert.

I'll send you a Private Message (PM) via the web site which should pop up on screen when you next log into the site. I'll give you some details there of my relatives who are the McIntyre descendants and then you could follow it up with them. I'd prefer not to give their details here, it's up to them whether they want to be discussed in public.

Wendy, thanks again for your help, it's been successful in linking more families together!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I told you he would pick it up.... Good luck with the search Tiz!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It all looks very positive and my McIntyre relatives should learn a lot from Phil. I've put them in touch with each other and I hope they can fill in some details for him too. My relative in Taunton looked at this topic and said: "Wendy should be a Private Investigator!"
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Another one to add to the list of jobs I should have done. :smile:
Some of us can't resist a family history challenge, as Liz says it's the search that makes it enjoyable. If maps are involved, it's even better!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've always put my interest in history down to the fact that I am incurably nosey....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Ongoing Family Research”