Armistead Hartley and Co.

anotherhartley

Armistead Hartley and Co.

Post by anotherhartley »

Hello everyone,

To introduce myself, I'm one of what must be nigh on a million Hartleys, traced back on my paternal side to my 4x great grandfather Armistead Hartley (born 1792, died 1844, married to Martha Hartley, nee Greenwood), a farmer in Barnoldswick.

Armistead's son, my 3x great grandfather, was Greenwood Hartley (born 1825 in Salterforth, married to Elizabeth 'Betty' Hartley, nee Howart), my 2x great grandfather was their son, another Greenwood Hartley (b1855), my great grandfather was Booth Dean Hartley, and then we're onto more modern times. Booth was born in Barnoldswick, but looks to have moved around Keighley and the Worth Valley / Haworth area, where most of my family lives now.

I was looking at the Hartley's of Barnoldswick thread, which was really useful, thanks, but I was wondering if anyone had any more background on Barnsey Farm, or knows any more about Armistead's parents? I have them down as James Hartley and Mary 'Mally' Armistead, but I've hit a wall with them - if anyone has any more information about them, or any interesting tales about that branch of the family, or the farm, I would love to hear them!

Thanks!
Lindsay
David Whipp

Re: Armistead Hartley and Co.

Post by David Whipp »

Hi Lindsay.

Will alert my mate Ken Hartley to your post - he's very much into genealogy and local history.

Do you live far away? Would you like any present day pictures of area?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Welcome to the site Lindsay.
anotherhartley

Post by anotherhartley »

Thank you both :)
I'm from Haworth originally, grew up around there (and had several Barlick trips), but I moved to Thailand a few years ago. I'll be ok for current photos in that case, it's all still fresh for me!

I just stumbled across the Hartley Index too, which was really interesting...my 3 great grand uncle was Raundill Hartley - given everyone back then's urge to give mother's maiden names as first names (Greenwood's and Armisteads), might that have something to do with the Danson Roundell right back in the early 16th C?

Thanks!
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Never realised about the mother's maiden name thing. Duh! Even though I got mine (Baxter) as a sort of non hyphenated second surname (if you get my drift).
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Ken says Armistead's name isn't on his direct family tree, but he does have some info to share with you. Ken's registered on OGFB, so will probably post or message himself.
anotherhartley

Post by anotherhartley »

Great, thank you :)
HartleyJackson

Post by HartleyJackson »

Hi,

Sorry I can't help you but you may be able to help me.

I just googled Armistead Hartley to check spelling and seem have struck a good connection.
The last Armistead Hartley I have was born in 1862 and Married Annie of the Star Inn in Bradford.
His father was John Hartley who married Mary Ann Turner , 2 June 1860
At the Christ Church in the Parish of Barnoldswick
John's father was Armistead Hartley,a joiner (maybe the certificate says farmer?) who is not mentioned on the marriage certificate but it says in the presence of Martha Hartley.
John was age 24 a weaver from Salterforth
Mary Ann was also a weaver from Salterforth.

It is quite possible your Armistead Hartley (born 1792, died 1844, married to Martha Hartley) is the father of my John Hartley ?-?-1836? -> 16-10-1919
Names and places repeat and I appreciate there are lots of Hartleys in this area.
The family story is that there is a connection to Wallace Hartley (Titanic fame) along this strand. He has my nose!

Do you have copies of evidence ?
Armistead would be my 2x great grandfather.

Cheers, Martin
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice to see this enquiry still has legs. I always feel sorry for the Hartleys... So many of them!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
JodieScott96

Post by JodieScott96 »

Hi, my name was before I was married Jodie Hartley-Conway, my Grandad was named Peter Hartley, his father was named James Hartley and his father was Booth Dean Hartley. I'm doing a little family history and some what desperate to meet family members.
noyna

Post by noyna »

If you're on Facebook, it will be worth putting something on the Colne Lancashire Now and Then page - it has hundreds of members with Colne connections. I got my first school satchel from Armistead Hartley's.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was told once that the Hartleys have an annual family meet in the US and thousands of the clan attend.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Welcome to the site Jodie, I hope you find some family connections.
JodieScott96

Post by JodieScott96 »

Thank you, alot of comments I've seen up this post have a connection to my family tree, I am just hoping the ones I have messaged get my messages.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It could be better to just post here on the forum Jodie rather than messaging people.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy is right Jodie and the more information you give, the better the chance you'll excite someone else and prompt them to post as well. That seems to be how we get the best results.... Good luck with the search!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Ongoing Family Research”