Standing family

PoppyMack

Standing family

Post by PoppyMack »

Firstly - thank-you for this wonderful site, I have learned so much already.

I am researching a family tree and have discovered that Greenwood Wilkinson who I have learnt from this site was a director of the Calf Hall Shed Company is the Gt Gt Grandfather of the lady I'm doing the research for.

I am interested in seeing if anyone has any information about Greenwood Wilkinson's son in law, Joseph Standing and in particular his father James. If I search for James Standing, I am pulling up every article in which the word standing appears, making it difficult to pinpoint articles about the man and not how many looms were "standing" on the floor of the shed!!

Joseph was born in Nov 1859, Barnoldswick, son of James Standing and Mary Ann Watson. I have found some newspaper articles that refer to a J Standing & Son cotton manufacturers and/or James and Joseph Standing cotton manufacturers. I also have some evidence that seems to indicate that for a time that also had premises in Todmorden but I'm not sure if this is the same people. Joseph was a printer and I have a pretty good amount of info on him, I know he had looms at Butts Mill and was arrested for stealing from the next door premises (he went to prison for 3 months) and that he was one of the first people to have a car in Barnoldswick (he crashed it!!).

As I said I am particularly interested in James Standing (born 1839 either Barnoldswick or Foulridge Lancashire).

Thank you in advance.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Standing family

Post by Stanley »

Welcome to the site Poppy. It would appear I have never done a list of my Standing entries in my card index. Vanishes upstairs like a terrier after a rat! Not a lot of entries I'm afraid, only five cards but here they are, they may give a clue.....

Barrett Directory 1896. Miss Emma Standing, milliner at 39 Church Street.
Standing. Joseph, Noted in Barrett for 1887 and 1896 as printer and stationer on Church Street. Later I think the business was at the top of Butts Lane.
Standing. Joe, In transcript 82/HD/05 in the LTP (On the site) Harold Duxbury says that he saw his first motor car in 1906. It was driven by Joe Standing. Harold said he wore his cap back to front whilst he was driving. Also in the LTP 78/AB/05, Billy brooks said that Joe Standing, at that time a weaver, built houses for rent in the area near the Corn Mill.
Standing. Mrs Esther. Barrett 1902. Noted as Newsagent and Printer at Butts Top.
The address usually given for Joe's shop is 24 Church Street but Kelly directory for 1902 gives him at 7 Butts Top.

I have one more possible clue. I was once told that Esther was bought out at a very low price when she was widowed. No hard evidence but it was suggested that she had been tricked into selling. A possible name to bear in mind in your research is Briggs. For some reason, when I think of this that name comes to mind.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PoppyMack

Post by PoppyMack »

Thank you for your reply.

Very interesting - I note that Joe is listed as a weaver - all census entries for Joseph are given a printer or stationer so its interesting to hear he was a weaver. The fact that he built houses for rent seems add further weight to the fact that he had money. So it may well be that it is the same James Standing that I find in Todmorden in 1901 listed as cotton manufacturer and newspaper reports of James Standing & son, cotton manufacturers are also of this same family.

Have you seen the newspaper reports on Joseph's theft - I can email you copies if you would like them.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Hi PoppyMack...Welcome
Many of us love family history and historical anecdotes on this site, so post all you have, I say.
Amazing how dots add up to dashes and then straight lines after a while! Someone not even connected in a direct way often sheds light in some way. ( as can be seen with the comment re the motor car).
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Hi Poppy,
looking at census returns James Standing appears to have had various jobs. 1901, cotton spinner in Todmorden, 1891 & 1881 he is a stone mason in Barlick, 1871 he is a cotton spinner and 1861 a cotton weaver.
In 1911 he is a Fish Seller living at 15 King Street, Barlick which is where he was living when he died on 24th April 1915. Probate was granted to Lucy Standing (spinster) and Annie Eastwood (wife of Thos. Eastwood) and Moses Horsfield, cotton manufacturer. He left £74:2s:9d.
PoppyMack

Post by PoppyMack »

Thanks Wendy,

I’ve seen that but I’m glad to see you also think that the James Standing in Todmorden is him as well as it seems strange that I all other census returns he’s in Barnoldswick. Add that to the newspaper articles & it does seem to be that J Standing & Son of Todmorden mentioned do belong to this family.

The newspaper articles are saved as Word files - how can I post them? There’s quite a bit & I’d rather not have to transcribe it all .

Thanks
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I thought you would have got them already. :smile: I think it's quite likely to be him in Todmorden, all the details seem to fit and he isn't anywhere else that I can find.
I think you can cut and paste from a Word file, or alternatively add it as an attachment. When you are using the Reply Box click on the Attachment tab underneath and to the left.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Welcome to the site Poppy.

Yes you can do either, copy and paste into the post editor, or add the document to a post as an attachment. Just a point if you choose the latter, if you are using a later version of MS Word which by default uses the .docx please can you save the file out as .doc this will allow maximum compatibility with previous versions of Word.

As this is a family research topic with a few members contributing now I will move the topic from Introductions into a more appropriate thread in the Family History section (Ongoing Family Research). It will still show up in active topics and unread posts from the Quick Links drop down on the index page when new comments are added.
Ian
PoppyMack

Post by PoppyMack »

OK here goes. Hopefully attached is a doc file with newspaper articles about Joseph Standing born 20 Nov 1859 Barnoldswick.

Now I pretty sure that the James in Todmorden is of this family I will collate the articles I have on him & upload these later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PoppyMack

Post by PoppyMack »

Could someone please tell me how to navigate to the transcripts referenced? Thanks
PoppyMack

Post by PoppyMack »

Hi Stanley;

I've just checked my records and Esther predeceased Joseph by 17 years - so was it him that was tricked into a sale?

Thanks
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The references are relevant to the original LTP project which has now been updated to the LTP2013 that you see on the site.

All the original references have been updated and transcribed into the different threads. We further enhanced this version by adding all relevant images into the relative threads.

There is a full list of the transcripts here:

Catalogue of Transcripts and Informants

So as an example, HD references the Harold Duxbury interview which you will find in Other Transcripts.

The original references back to the archived tapes can also be found at the head of each thread.

You will find William (Billy) Brooks in the Weaving in Barnoldswick category.

The original LTP consisted of 200 reels of 45 minute interview tapes taken directly from the informants (by Stanley) and around 850 images. These were eventually transcribed so they could be presented electronically on the original OGFB website (now the Archive Site). In 2013 after a change of platform software we had to completely rework the LTP project into what you see now, LTP2013. This afforded us the opportunity to completely upgrade both the content and how it was presented. This included updating and converting all the transcripts and embedding the images within the relevant threads. We then converted the resultant code to HTML so that it was no longer platform dependent. All of the transcripts, images and the complete project is downloadable from the site in various packages or as a whole, just check out the download section below the LTP2013 Category.
Ian
PoppyMack

Post by PoppyMack »

WOW - that is a lot of work but thanks to people like you and Stanley we family tree researchers can put some meat on the bones of a family tree making a family's past come to life. It is very much appreciated.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The LTP as it stands now on the site is the result of two years hard work by Ian and others who helped. I started it 40 years ago..... There are some good stories in there.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Ongoing Family Research”