Slinger Tempest Family research

grelak7

Slinger Tempest Family research

Post by grelak7 »

Hi, I found some discussions on a website about the above family names and whilst searching for more information on the internet found this site. I noticed that Bracewell, the seat of the Tempests is near to Barnoldswick and wondered if anyone knows whether there are parish records for Bracewell or if they are to be found in Barnoldwick parish or somewhere else? I've looked on Online Parish Clerks Lancashire but can't find the relevant towns or parishes. I live reasonably near to Lancashire and I'm happy to travel for research but don't know where I need to travel to! If anyone else has any information on the above families during the late 1500s and during the1600s I be very interested. My research goes back to between 1688 and 1703 in Clapham Yorkshire, but I've been trying to find the connection between the name surnames Tempest and Slinger to see when Tempest became a Christian name. It would appear that it happened when an Elizabeth Tempest of Bracewell married a Henry Slinger in the mid 1500s, according to one researcher, but I'd love to see some records if anyone can point me in the right direction.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Slinger Tempest Family research

Post by PanBiker »

Welcome to the site. First thing that comes to mind is that Barnoldswick and Bracewell were only moved into Lancashire for admin purposes in 1974 Prior to that we were (are) in the West Riding of Yorkshire. Records will be held in the various centres in Yorkshire. We also have some really good genealogy members who will almost certainly pick up on this thread and give some feedback.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Hello and welcome. There are Bracewell Parish records on Ancestry, but like Barnoldswick they come under Lancashire probably because the records were deposited in Preston. Have you tried Family Search?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Another tip would be to try Tempest in the site search. I know that Stanley who will also pick up on this has done quite a bit on the Tempest family. A quick site search found this among lots of other results on the name.

The Monastic Grange
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Other results from the site search:

The Pilgrimage of Grace 02

The Tempest Family 01

The Tempest Family 02

All these articles are from Stanley's View which was a series featured in our local paper for many years. All written by our very own Stanley who as I said will almost certainly pick up on the thread. I know Stanley maintains an index on all his articles and historical research so watch this space.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The best source in the literature for the Tempest pedigree is Whitaker's 'History of Craven' .
I have nothing specific on the marriage you are looking at but my field isn't genealogy. The ladies will serve you far better. They are brilliant.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
grelak7

Post by grelak7 »

Hi, Many thanks for these quick replies. I will have a good look at the links here. I have been downloading a number of publications about the Tempest family in amongst posting my original query. There are quite a lot of pages but I don't think they are any of the ones suggested here so I've a lot of reading to do first. :) Any further suggestions gratefully received.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Punch Bracewell into the site search. Lots of stuff pertinent to Tempest history in there. Look at Bowling Hall at Bradford also. Broughton Hall was a Tempest seat as well.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Ongoing Family Research”